Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distracted driver law in Oklahoma
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Distracted driver law in Oklahoma Reply with quote

Oklahoma has pending legislation to ban any activity that distracts a driver. They are not just going after cell phones and texting but everything. You can be ticketed for eating, writing, reading, grooming, applying make-up, smoking, pets in your lap, unsecured cargo, fighting kids in the back seat etc.

http://www.newsok.com/bills-target-distracted-oklahoma-drivers/article/3445534
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed...if it stops one one person from getting hurt its worth it.The advancement of the automobile to the point that the operator can multitask is detrimental to safety and has cost lives.Early German economy cars require all of your appendages and senses to operate efficiently,forcing the operator to focus on the tasks at hand and arriving at the destination with the minimum loss in concentration.
Nicksan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that "wreckless driving" could be applied to any person doing anything that could cause an accident and the specific laws against such things as eating or cell phone use were not necessary, maybe its just a California thing.
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicksan wrote:
I was under the impression that "wreckless driving" could be applied to any person doing anything that could cause an accident and the specific laws against such things as eating or cell phone use were not necessary, maybe its just a California thing.

Wreckless driving is a pipe dream.
zuhaelter_82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a lady drop her cigerette while driving down the freeway right before she flicked it out the window and it bounced off my windshield! I wish I could have picked it up and thrown it in her back seat!!! You are in your car to drive it, not to watch a movie and do your hair.
B5 V6 GLS
B7 TDI Passat SE
Lee.
Samba Animal Controller

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
Agreed...if it stops one one person from getting hurt its worth it.

No it isn't.

In that case, will they ban looking over your shoulder before passing or watching your rearview mirrors? What about radios? They interfere with driving.

What about a topless chick driving a split 'vert in the summer next to a bus full of felons? Instant Chaos!

Laughing

Last edited by Lee. on Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66 Bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee. wrote:
johnnypan wrote:

No it isn't.

In that case, will they ban looking over your shoulder before passing or watching your rearview mirrors? What about radios? They interfere with driving.

What about a topless chick driving a split 'vert in the summer?

Laughing

I've yet to see that though....
Wink
Lee.
Samba Animal Controller

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

66 Bugman wrote:
Lee. wrote:
johnnypan wrote:

No it isn't.

What about a topless chick driving a split 'vert in the summer?

Laughing

I've yet to see that though....
Wink

Yeah...................but we're always looking for it! Laughing
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee. wrote:
johnnypan wrote:

No it isn't.

What about a topless chick driving a split 'vert in the summer next to a bus full of felons? Instant Chaos!

Laughing

So,which do you prefer...the topless chick or the bus load o' felons? me thinks you have a yen for state issue blues..but in reality you speak of issues that are uncontrollable... these types of issues are better handled by one who is in tune with his driving as opposed to those who text their cellmate and drive at the same time.
Lee.
Samba Animal Controller

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
Lee. wrote:
johnnypan wrote:

No it isn't.

Laughing

So,which do you prefer...the topless chick or the bus load o' felons? me thinks you have a yen for state issue blues..but in reality you speak of issues that are uncontrollable... these types of issues are better handled by one who is in tune with his driving as opposed to those who text their cellmate and drive at the same time.

I'll take the topless chick.

All I'm saying is that the 'if it saves 1 life it's worth it' is invaild. That's not realistic.

IMO, texting while driving isn't right. I do it all the time though. I answer calls, write down appointments, take pictures of weird shit, etc, all while driving. Laughing 1/2 my driving time is spent doing that kind of stuff. I'll take the chance and I also pay out the ass for commercial vehicle insurance.

What about truckers and their CB's? Should we ban those because it might save one life?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this guy is guilty.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee. wrote:
johnnypan wrote:
Lee. wrote:
johnnypan wrote:

No it isn't.

Laughing

All I'm saying is that the 'if it saves 1 life it's worth it' is invaild. That's not realistic.

IMO, texting while driving isn't right. I do it all the time though. I answer calls, write down appointments, take pictures of weird shit, etc, all while driving. Laughing 1/2 my driving time is spent doing that kind of stuff. I'll take the chance and I also pay out the ass for commercial vehicle insurance.

What about truckers and their CB's? Should we ban those because it might save one life?

What gives us the right to believe that what we do in our cars that jeopardizes others is different that any other way one could jepordize the safety of others...you wouldnt think of walking into a schoolhouse with a pail of gasoline in your hand and a lit cigar in your mouth but you'll drive down the highway texting while passing a schoolbus.
As for truckdrivers,cell phones and cb radios should be banned period.hell they should outlaw smoking when driving truck...
Lee.
Samba Animal Controller

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
Lee. wrote:
johnnypan wrote:
Lee. wrote:
johnnypan wrote:

No it isn't.

Laughing

What gives us the right to believe that what we do in our cars that jeopardizes others is different that any other way one could jepordize the safety of others...you wouldnt think of walking into a schoolhouse with a pail of gasoline in your hand and a lit cigar in your mouth but you'll drive down the highway texting while passing a schoolbus.
As for truckdrivers,cell phones and cb radios should be banned period.hell they should outlaw smoking when driving truck...

So, driving with 2 hands on the wheel is the only way to go?

Ever had kids? Maybe we should ban driving with kids. They are a much bigger distraction. I got hit with a plastic dinosaur while driving the other day. Laughing He was strapped down in his seat. I guess we could have some arm/leg car-restraints where a toddler cannot physically move? We could all roll around in Hanibal-Lechter approved seats. That would be awesome.
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee. wrote:
johnnypan wrote:
Lee. wrote:
johnnypan wrote:
Lee. wrote:
johnnypan wrote:

No it isn't.

Laughing

Ever had kids? Maybe we should ban driving with kids. They are a much bigger distraction. I got hit with a plastic dinosaur while driving the other day. Laughing He was strapped down in his seat. I guess we could have some arm/leg car-restraints where a toddler cannot physically move? We could all roll around in Hanibal-Lechter approved seats. That would be awesome.

Now your on to something..I would have endured much less physical abuse if I wasnt allowed to ride with my father...the man could drive a '65 country squire and hit all six of us kids without swerving... it was a thing of beauty watching that tree trunk of an arm of his become double jointed and hit a kid sitting directly behind him...
Lee.
Samba Animal Controller

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
Lee. wrote:
johnnypan wrote:
Lee. wrote:
johnnypan wrote:
Lee. wrote:
johnnypan wrote:

No it isn't.

Laughing

Now your on to something..I would have endured much less physical abuse if I wasnt allowed to ride with my father...the man could drive a '65 country squire and hit all six of us kids without swerving... it was a thing of beauty watching that tree trunk of an arm of his become double jointed and hit a kid sitting directly behind him...

As long as the brakes weren't desingned by Toyota! Laughing
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I guess this guy is guilty.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That aint no fat chick.....besides he probably dropped his wallet or something.
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last thing this country needs is more laws.... Not being distracted is a responsibility, and should not be a farkin' law.

More laws for freedom - not for me, just pay attention, sheesh... I think its just more control freaks controlling the sheeple...
Fusillade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way to eliminate automobile related deaths is to eliminate the automobile.
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emeritusx wrote:
The last thing this country needs is more laws.... Not being distracted is a responsibility, and should not be a farkin' law.

More laws for freedom - not for me, just pay attention, sheesh... I think its just more control freaks controlling the sheeple...

Choosing to be distracted while engaged in a potentially deadly activity should be against the law...that doesnt constrict freedom, it provides a safer environment.
Lee.
Samba Animal Controller

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
Emeritusx wrote:

Choosing to be distracted while engaged in a potentially deadly activity should be against the law...that doesnt constrict freedom, it provides a safer environment.

So does gun control.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: