Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100 ... 135, 136, 137  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Well, he won. Email sent, "How about $20. -d"
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

What do you think the chances are that he is reading this thread? Probably a FaceBooker.

If I get it, I could insist on helping him remove it. Then take a box knife to it. I'll say, "Nah, I just wanted the part with the hole in it."

Alas, who has the time. I'll tell him to deliver it to the closest trash can.

But I'm worried that at only 13.8% of asking price, I might have to enter the negotiation phase of every Craigslist deal. I'm now seriously asking myself what I would pay.
-d
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

He reposted again yesterday (and Friday) but no response from my initial offer. I'm up to $30 now. A good use of a GoFundMe campaign?

I am really baffled, how does one live in Boulder, own a Syncro Westy, but still need $145 out of the old tent canvas?

If it sells, he'll likely start posting his original fuel lines. (Edit: And I will not pay one penny over $40 for those!)

-d
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
What do you think the chances are that he is reading this thread? Probably a FaceBooker.
If I get it, I could insist on helping him remove it. Then take a box knife to it. I'll say, "Nah, I just wanted the part with the hole in it."
But I'm worried that at only 13.8% of asking price, I might have to enter the negotiation phase of every Craigslist deal. I'm now seriously asking myself what I would pay.-d

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2093771

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
raoul mitgong wrote:
But I'm worried that at only 13.8% of asking price, I might have to enter the negotiation phase of every Craigslist deal. I'm now seriously asking myself what I would pay.-d

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2093771

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8822117&highlight=#8822117
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Thanks MsTaboo,
Bad news ahead for me and Colorado Craigslisters though. Crying or Very sad

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=702951

-d
VanWhalen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/d/1990-vanagon-synchro-body/6640502093.html

You want doors? That's gonna cost extra.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

VanWhalen wrote:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/d/1990-vanagon-synchro-body/6640502093.html

You want doors? That's gonna cost extra.

Yeah, but it is a Syncro Westy body.
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

I can see the value in that. If a person was doing a ground up resto , 3k for a prepped body is worth it.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Wow, I don't post to this thread often, but I find this ridiculous.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2194064

An 87 Syncro Westy that is basically bone stock for $65K. 14" wheels, no accessories, and not even all that nice looking. I am normally happy to see high priced syncros, it makes me think mine is worth more. But I don't think this guy has gotten the memo on the dip in the market. He could mark it down 50% and it would still be overpriced.

To compare, there is a sweet upgraded 2.5 Subaru Syncro Westy Clone for $28K or best offer! And it has been for sale longer than I thought it would be.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2179005
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

I agree that is way over priced, but I think in that soon bone stock westies will be worth far more than modified ones.
Low miles on original engines as these things move into to collectors markets will be a better bet than engine swaps.
Could be wrong but it kinda seems like its already happening a bit.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Tobias Duncan wrote:
I agree that is way over priced, but I think in that soon bone stock westies will be worth far more than modified ones.

Maybe but the market for Syncro Westies is still an outdoorsy user not a car show guy. All the mods are to make the most utilitarian vehicle ever, even more functional. Bigger tires to get further off road and that requires bigger engines or better gearing, extra racks to carry more stuff, solar to get more off grid power. There are some trailer queen syncros out there, but most have branch scrapes all over the sides and usable upgrades like heaters and compressor fridges and better stereos, more comfortable seating for long trips. The downward pressure on the prices lately seems to indicate there is no collector market for these. And that suits me just fine if it stays that way.
michaelbteam Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

The bloom is off the rose, my chariot is turning into a pumpkin. So many new "van life" platforms are overshadowing the Westy mystique. We here may love our vans but a new generation, less mechanically inclined, views them as quaint expensive artifacts compared with luxuriously equipped larger units which banks are happy to finance. Maybe prices will decrease to a level attractive to younger buyers who will revitalize the market and put Vanagons back on the road and keep vendors in business!
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Tobias Duncan wrote:
Low miles on original engines as these things move into to collectors markets will be a better bet than engine swaps.
Could be wrong but it kinda seems like its already happening a bit.

Anyone posting a low mileage Vanagon makes me think that it either has a new speedo/odo (odo is a common failure) and the seller is sketchy or unaware, or it sat (or currently sitting) for a long time due to a major problem.
I would not pay a premium for a low mileage original van.

-d
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

That's not really a "low milage" unit. 140k is fairly well used, remember a lot of these campers only see service during the nice vacation seasons.
And it's not really bone stock either, he's removed the VC and replaced with a straight shaft so the 4wd (AWD, whatever Rolling Eyes ) is only available off-road, and added the tow bar, jump seat, etc.

To me a low milage van is under 100k, or 75k. I agree with davevickery that it's way overpriced. For that kind of money there should be the common upgrades in addition to being in great rust free condition and have a well sorted engine conversion or be a very rare model and also have many of the needed rebuilds neatly done.
I paid way less than that for a 16" Syncro high-top (less than 10 built, totally factory stock with the 112hp DJ engine, and with many rare factory options) that had less than 76,000 miles on it and was properly stored.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Official whine today:

https://www.facebook.com/ben.hyres.1

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/d/80-91-volkswagen-vanagon-parts/6623237006.html

This BEN HYRES guy is an unpleasant person. A friend sent $ for parts, took a day off work drove 280 miles round trip to meet and he STOOD HER UP. He did not answer calls or texts for 8 days regarding a refund. He has taken $200 for parts, no-showed, refuses any contact and refuses to refund said stolen funds.
BEN we will get you.

https://www.facebook.com/vanagonpartsguy/

Hey!
What do you know...we got his attention!! After a week of him refusing any contact he suddenly is able to see the money in his account and issue a refund. Woow ! Magic!
FWIW I know other people who have had problems with him, but they eventually worked it out with him. I've even had email exchanges with him and he was less than pleasant.
When I made him an offer on some parts he said "No THANKS, I DON'T BARTER!"

I don't know him personally, but as a potential customer I'd say his business practices aren't to be trusted. Best advice is AVOID him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Bub wrote:
Official whine today:
https://www.facebook.com/ben.hyres.1

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/d/80-91-volkswagen-vanagon-parts/6623237006.html

This BEN HYRES guy is an unpleasant person. A friend sent $ for parts, took a day off work drove 280 miles round trip to meet and he STOOD HER UP. He did not answer calls or texts for 8 days regarding a refund. He has taken $200 for parts, no-showed, refuses any contact and refuses to refund said stolen funds.
BEN we will get you.

https://www.facebook.com/vanagonpartsguy/

Hey!
What do you know...we got his attention!! After a week of him refusing any contact he suddenly is able to see the money in his account and issue a refund. Woow ! Magic!
FWIW I know other people who have had problems with him, but they eventually worked it out with him. I've even had email exchanges with him and he was less than pleasant.
When I made him an offer on some parts he said "No THANKS, I DON'T BARTER!"

I don't know him personally, but as a potential customer I'd say his business practices aren't to be trusted. Best advice is AVOID him.

I've dealt with him a couple of times buying a few parts and some sheetmetal. When he was working out of his old place, it was a mess, parts were everywhere and I think he lived in the office area. Half the time he wasn't at the shop. Not that much of a problem for me since I only live 6 miles away. If you need stuff from him, it's best to stop by the shop in person (when he's actually there) so you can inspect the parts and do the deal. Anybody that lives farther out might proceed with caution or avoid. He advertises on CL quite a bit trying to corner the market on Vanagon parts. I think he's got so much going on wheeling & dealing that following through with transactions is a struggle.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

^^^ I’ve completed one transaction with him and it literally took a month or two (fortunately, I wasn’t in a rush). I’ve had a few other interactions and would characterize him as a bit of a knucklehead, a couple steps beyond quirky or endearingly eccentric.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Yet another long term Syncro owner spelling it Synchro. I don't want to be the spelling police, but how would you pronounce the "h" in Synchro?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/86-vw-synchro-transporter/6637191776.html
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

The funny thing about people that mis spell the name of their car is that it is on a Plague at the rear of the car/van.
It also will not show up in a search if someone was looking for a SYNCRO. It’s too bad really as the ad is well written and it seems like a nice van.
Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100 ... 135, 136, 137  Next
Jump to:
Page 99 of 137

Jump to: