Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 121, 122, 123 ... 135, 136, 137  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

$11k is fairly steep for this tintop

probably $3500 if wanted to move it within 30days.
maybe $5k if it had a clean interior/carpeting and rear bed/bench.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/cto/d/clinton-vw-obo/7261426164.html
Quote:
Very clean
Asking $11000 or best offer .
For more information please call or Txt Sam

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

I am a firm believer of the idea that if you want to sell a car, you must wash it before you take pictures.

$11k for a "I don't even care enough to spend 20 minutes putting effort into a sale."

Pass.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
I am a firm believer of the idea that if you want to sell a car, you must wash it before you take pictures.

$11k for a "I don't even care enough to spend 20 minutes putting effort into a sale."

Pass.

I think he fingered an extra zero in the price.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:

Pass.

I agree that particular Vanagon is 3x overpriced, but I've found some really good deals on cars because the seller didn't put any effort into cleaning up. Nobody else could see past the dirt and garbage, so there was no competition to buy. This van will keep dropping in price, probably lower than it should if it was cleaned up.
Although, often the pride someone has in the presentation of their car is directly related to the pride they took in care and maintenance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joyfulpursuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Well, I took a look an official look at a westy for the first time today. I've seen them at cars and coffee, but this was my first attempt as a potential buyer with cash in hand.

One seemingly nice 1987 example popped up only a couple miles from my house. And to be honest, it was nice for the most part. Absolutely no rust, all westy parts were there, mostly stock.

But, it wasn't totally dialed in. Tent canvas was rough, interior trim was rough including the stove faceplate being very corroded, door panels rough, manual windows weren't working well, was an auto, and there were squeaking belts. The wiper blades were totally shot and all window seals and chrome moulding were in the worst shape I've seen on these vans. I say all this because it just shows that the care is not there.

His wife was also there and she was very aggressive with my partner and I. Wouldn't let us get a single word in or point out anything negative about the van. There was zero good vibe during the viewing.

They wanted $25k for it. It was tough to walk away but my partner whispered "this is a crummy van" and that did it for me. I'd rather spend a little more on an all sorted van. I know some folks on here may disagree with me, they're 30 years old, expect a bit of a project, but meh. Doesn't have to be perfect, but I care so much about maintaining my vehicles, it just hurt to see the amount of neglect on this one and him being ignorant on it. My 30 year old e30 is perfect and dialed in enough that the only project work is fun work. A car can be old and still look and drive well.

I could see $18k for it but $25k was steep.

The search continues... but that's the fun part.

End whine/rant.
that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life - John 3:16
🚐 1987 Westy, EJ22 small car conversion
🚗 1991 e30 325i Sport MTech II coupe
📸 instagram.com/joyfilledpursuit
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Sounds like you did the right thing. A good vibe with the sellers and the van is important.
$25k for a mediocre condition van is too steep. If the owners couldn't take the time or effort for basic outward maintenance what's hiding deeper?

All of the items you mention are things which can be improved by a motivated owner, but should have been done already for that price.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
joyfulpursuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Sounds like you did the right thing. A good vibe with the sellers and the van is important.
$25k for a mediocre condition van is too steep. If the owners couldn't take the time or effort for basic outward maintenance what's hiding deeper?

All of the items you mention are things which can be improved by a motivated owner, but should have been done already for that price.

Thanks for the encouragement! I really appreciate it. Today made me slightly discouraged; it was lower miles, rust free and a gray interior late model equipped with AC. Those are three must haves for me personally. Plus, it was local.

After I walked away, I began wondering if I had made the right decision or was just being too picky. I appreciate hearing your input and would agree. There were just too many unknowns on this one.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Of course you can always use the items which need work to offer a lower price. Has it been for sale long?
But if this is only the first one you've looked at, maybe take the time to look at others.
There are a lot of campers in that price range. Oftentimes people will buy a Vanagon camper because it looks like fun but then find out it needs work and get discouraged by the money they have to spend; they turn around and try to sell for every dime they've spent. The only value in a vehicle is the vehicle itself, not any money spent on labor. Never let someone try to sell you on a car based on the amount of money they spent on labor. What matters is how solid the car is and what's actually there. Every car needs money spent on maintenance. That's why it pays to learn to work on your own van.

It's hard for someone on the net to judge a van that can't be seen in person. Many things go into deciding on a purchase. Does the van have the features you want? maintenance records? quality replacement parts? engine conversion? clean? Are you willing to work on all the things it needs? etc. Maybe a pre-purchase inspection? And of course that vibe you get from the seller or vehicle.
Keep in mind it is a 30 year old vehicle so be prepared for maintenance on even nice, well sorted vans.
Good luck with your search!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

joyfulpursuit wrote:
Well, I took a look an official look at a westy for the first time today. I've seen them at cars and coffee, but this was my first attempt as a potential buyer with cash in hand.

One seemingly nice 1987 example popped up only a couple miles from my house. And to be honest, it was nice for the most part. Absolutely no rust, all westy parts were there, mostly stock.

But, it wasn't totally dialed in. Tent canvas was rough, interior trim was rough including the stove faceplate being very corroded, door panels rough, manual windows weren't working well, was an auto, and there were squeaking belts. The wiper blades were totally shot and all window seals and chrome moulding were in the worst shape I've seen on these vans. I say all this because it just shows that the care is not there.

His wife was also there and she was very aggressive with my partner and I. Wouldn't let us get a single word in or point out anything negative about the van. There was zero good vibe during the viewing.

They wanted $25k for it. It was tough to walk away but my partner whispered "this is a crummy van" and that did it for me. I'd rather spend a little more on an all sorted van. I know some folks on here may disagree with me, they're 30 years old, expect a bit of a project, but meh. Doesn't have to be perfect, but I care so much about maintaining my vehicles, it just hurt to see the amount of neglect on this one and him being ignorant on it. My 30 year old e30 is perfect and dialed in enough that the only project work is fun work. A car can be old and still look and drive well.

I could see $18k for it but $25k was steep.

The search continues... but that's the fun part.

End whine/rant.

I agree- it's good to walk away if you get bad juju from the seller. Without pictures and a ton more info, it's hard to say for certain, but you're probably right that $25k was way too high for it.
That being said, those 'not totally dialed in' vans are my faves. A lot of buyers expect perfection (no matter what price range they're in), so these vans end up being passed over by most. For $500 worth of canvas, wiper blades, stove trim, belts etc, and a weekend of your time, you might be able to end up with a $25,000 van for $20,000.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joyfulpursuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Just gonna leave this one here...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/468165010874805/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

joyfulpursuit wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/468165010874805/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined

does it come with the monitor?

BiWerks Design, LLC
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

joyfulpursuit wrote:

Wow, eh? And the van pictured doesn't seem to correspond with the description in any way...
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2451323

Laughing The ultimate flip. Just sold this van to him.. makes me sad to see "vendors" doing this. PM me for more info.

Last edited by Squidfish on Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
holdthewind2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Just WOW...
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/seattle-1987-vw-vanagon-syncro-westfalia/7268285999.html
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

50-60.00 more (depending on which option you chose) than the vendor sells them for, plus shipping and paypal fees? sign me the fuck up! Laughing

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2431642

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2455119

$60k for a 2WD weekender?

I'll pass.
2000 BMW Z3 roadster
-Mark
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

revolution337 wrote:

I'll pass.

Holy crap! So he wants to get every penny of the $40,000 in parts and labour he hired out for the engine and paint job? Plus he must must feel that the van was worth $20,000 before he even started the work (even though clearly it wasn't worth that if it needed paint and engine work.)

I think he could get max half of his asking price to someone who falls in love with it. Otherwise, I think realistically that's a $20,000- $25,000 van no matter how much he put into it.
SurfaceRust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:
revolution337 wrote:

I'll pass.

Holy crap! So he wants to get every penny of the $40,000 in parts and labour he hired out for the engine and paint job? Plus he must must feel that the van was worth $20,000 before he even started the work (even though clearly it wasn't worth that if it needed paint and engine work.)

I think he could get max half of his asking price to someone who falls in love with it. Otherwise, I think realistically that's a $20,000- $25,000 van no matter how much he put into it.

I wonder what engine it has if it cost 14K
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Based on the tailpipe I'd say it's still a waterboxer. I'd be it's a rebuilt 2.1.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:
revolution337 wrote:

I'll pass.

But - its got the original stains on the seat upholstery!!! Shocked
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 121, 122, 123 ... 135, 136, 137  Next
Jump to:
Page 122 of 137

Jump to: