Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 122, 123, 124 ... 135, 136, 137  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

SurfaceRust wrote:
I wonder what engine it has if it cost 14K

I think the Go Westy 2.7 would get to that price by the time you buy the mandatory engine management system. But I also think it would be mentioned in the ad if it was something that radical.
It could be that it's a stock 2.1, and if you're paying someone to do all the work at $100 or $150 an hour including cooling system, fuel system, etc, the dollars add up pretty quick. But it's all speculation at this point because the description is so short on info.

Whatever work was done to equal $14,000 should probably be elaborated a little further on when you're asking 3x market value for a van. If you really think you have something that amazing and special, you need to go the extra mile to convince potential buyers. A vehicle in that price range should have a 5000 word write-up to convince me.

I'm sorry you paid a lot of money to build your van, but there are very few times when the money spent is equal to the money you'll get out of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Squidfish wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2451323

Laughing The ultimate flip. Just sold this van to him.. makes me sad to see "vendors" doing this. PM me for more info.

Just link your post to their feedback forum entry so that the wankers get their due
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Squidfish wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2451323

Laughing The ultimate flip. Just sold this van to him.. makes me sad to see "vendors" doing this. PM me for more info.

Just link your post to their feedback forum entry so that the wankers get their due

I can see both sides. I mean, were you happy with the price you sold it to him for? If he thinks he can make some money selling it again (although I think he’s a bit overpriced), where’s the harm in that? It is a business after all. Van Cafe buys door seals for ‘X’ price, and resells them for a profit. Is that flipping? Should the window seal manufacture slag Van Cafe in their feedback?

How long after someone buys something can they resell it without being a flipper? A month? A year? Are they only a flipper if they sell for a higher price than they bought it for? What if they did some repairs / improvements? Can they profit from that? What about a guy who bought a split bus in 1990 for $100, and never did a thing to it? Does he have to sell it now for $100, or is it ok for him to list it for $10,000 because that’s the market for it now?

That being said, if this guy hammered you down on the price with a sob story about a father/son project, or some other BS excuse, then it is a greasy move and he should be called out for it.

But ultimately, I think once you’ve sold something, the new owner is free to do whatever they want with it.

I’m not trying to pick an argument here. It’s just that I’ve never seen any consensus on this forum or any other as to what constitutes a “flipper”.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Flippers drive the price up and crowd out buyers looking for a decent deal. While the prospective owner is trying to get their money together or arranging a time to look at the vehicle the flipper will snatch up the deal.
Maybe good if you have a van you're trying to sell but sucks for people looking to get a nice camper.

It's one thing for someone to buy vehicles that need work and bring them back to life for those buyers who don't have the time or skills to rehab.
It's altogether a different story if all the flipper does is buy a decent vehicle and turn right around and sell for thousands more. Evil or Very Mad

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Flippers drive the price up and crowd out buyers looking for a decent deal. While the prospective owner is trying to get their money together or arranging a time to look at the vehicle the flipper will snatch up the deal.
Maybe good if you have a van you're trying to sell but sucks for people looking to get a nice camper.

It's one thing for someone to buy vehicles that need work and bring them back to life for those buyers who don't have the time or skills to rehab.
It's altogether a different story if all the flipper does is buy a decent vehicle and turn right around and sell for thousands more. Evil or Very Mad

I don’t see how a flipper drives up prices really. If the market value of a van is $20,000 and that’s what it’s being sold for, the flipper can buy it and re-list at $30,000 if they want. That doesn’t change what the market says it’s worth. It’s just another overpriced vehicle that will never sell. By the same argument, then the person listing their van at a good price (below market value) is doing every other seller a disservice by driving median prices down. The outlier really good deals and the overpriced crap get weeded out when you’re looking at the true values.
If a van is truly a really good deal, it’s not just flippers you that will try to snatch it up before you get your money together. There will be a lineup of genuine buyers trying to beat you to it as well. When it comes to good deals, you have to be ready to move fast, or miss out and pay higher prices for the vans with less competition that aren’t quite as good of a deal. Maybe the best way to eliminate the flippers is to contact every seller listing at a good deal, and tell them to raise their price? But that still stops genuine buyers from getting deals so there’s no win there.

I still don’t know how much work you’re required to do to a vehicle before you can sell at a profit without feeling guilty. If you take a non-runner and put a new engine in, that seems reasonable. But what if that non-runner you got cheap turned out to only ended up needing new spark plugs or a coil? Does that mean you shouldn’t profit from it? But if you sell it well below market value now, you’re driving down values for other trying to sell and costing them money. What if you spend hours to clean up a disgusting dirty interior to make it more appealing to other buyers? What if you simply throw down some new floor mats and resell it? I don’t know what the answer is, but I’d be curious to know what’s considered the line between a flip and a resale.

I’ve never considered myself to be a flipper. In fact, I rarely make money off vehicles I sell since I tend to spend a lot of time and money on preventative maintenance items that don’t increase the value to a new owner.

Sometimes, a buyer has a better audience and knowledge to sell things than you might. Recently, I ended up with a bunch of ‘40s Ford parts. That is so far out of my wheelhouse I didn’t know where to begin. I spent a bit of time trying to figure out what was worth what, and in the end, sold the box to a Ford guy. He knows what the parts are, what they’re worth, and how to get them into the right hands. And he should be rewarded for that. Is he a flipper? There might have been $1000 worth of parts in that $50 box. But I got $50 and the stuff was out of my way. I was happy with the deal, and I assume he was too.

So as I said before, if you get the money you wanted out of something, and someone else can make something off it, I don’t know that you can be upset at them.
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

To keep it simple, I made some money on this van, albeit not very much, so I do guess I am a "flipper". Laughing I had bigger plans to fix up and sell the van for a fair price.... Ultimately, I did not want to deal with an untitled vehicle for sale in CA, I do regret that. Rolling Eyes

Now, the new seller is grossly misrepresenting the condition of this van. It has a cracked pop top, cracked frame in the pop-top, window and windshield rust, etc; not stored inside and immaculate lol. An 85 CHC in this condition is worth no more than $15k-18k IMO. I guess I'm just tired of seeing people getting taken advantage of in this scene lately. VW Logo
GG099
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Anything for sale can be misrepresented of course. One can make a decent living managing that kind of risk. When I was selling my vinyl record albums I graded them fairly, according to strict guidelines. Some buyers began to re-sell my albums for a profit after changing the LP's grade from VG+ to MINT- ("mint minus"), for example. They bought more and more albums from me because I became a gold mine to them.

I've tried to list every little defect that I know about the van and it makes a long list. The seatbelt not retracting automatically for example. Someone asked for pictures of all the seams so I obliged and now the pics scare buyers away because they think every seam has rust. The vehicle is an unmolested, repairs deferred, mechanic's van, but there is something to be said for giving a buyer the upgrade choices, and indeed I sometimes read here "look for an unmolested van". I'm well below GoWesty's opinion-of-value California price. If I lower it much more someone is likely to resell (flip), and not mention that the seat belt doesn't retract automatically.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

GG099 wrote:
...and not mention that the seat belt doesn't retract automatically.

You think that's bad? My van's BRAKE light on the dash flickers intermittently.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Full disclosure: my van (sometimes) smells weird.

Laughing Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Full disclosure: my van (sometimes) smells weird.

Laughing Wink

- Dave

Ours always does. Laughing Cool
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:
MsTaboo wrote:

I don’t see how a flipper drives up prices really.

Of course they do. Where do you think your profit is coming from? It's one thing to miss out on a good deal to another buyer looking for a nice camper to use and enjoy vs losing out to someone who's just gonna turn around and sell the same vehicle for more money.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Blakesinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Still kinda new here. Am I doing this right?

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/d/whittier-1986-vw-vanagon/7288926661.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

That's the official new low.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Blakesinclair wrote:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/d/whittier-1986-vw-vanagon/7288926661.html

Gotta say, that isn't too far off from my 86 weekender. This one is A tad dirtier and worse paint, but I only paid about $3000 for it.

Never pay that crazy amount for a Van like that!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Blakesinclair wrote:

Wow, what a piece of shit!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

revolution337 wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2455119

$60k for a 2WD weekender?

I'll pass.

Price drop to $50K. It'll probably take a few more to get a sale. Although it is San Diego where there's plenty of stupid-money.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
holdthewind2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/d/eugene-vw-vanagon-88-runs-insanely-good/7278837483.html

$18.5K

"The engine has been completely rebuilt, it currently has 154,000 miles on it." I, guess it is just about time for that first oil change after that rebuild then.

" only has overheated on me once" I usually find that there's never any real chance of harm or damage from overheating the first few times

"*AC or Heater does not work* (better, wont bog down your engine)." I like to gain the extra power by removing all ancillary belts to combat the bog monster(see comment about overheating above.) Also the arm workout with the power steering pump belt removed saves me from having to pay for CrossFit.

"The transmission is brand new." I didn't realize that there were brand new transmissions available.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Both Burley and GW are sold out of their Syncro suspensions. GW's long travel suspension sold out and I was considering getting their basic Fox suspension but then it too sold out!

I would like to upgrade my suspension! I hope they get them in stock before the summer.
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

holdthewind2 wrote:
https://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/d/eugene-vw-vanagon-88-runs-insanely-good/7278837483.html

$18.5K

"The engine has been completely rebuilt, it currently has 154,000 miles on it." I, guess it is just about time for that first oil change after that rebuild then.

" only has overheated on me once" I usually find that there's never any real chance of harm or damage from overheating the first few times

"*AC or Heater does not work* (better, wont bog down your engine)." I like to gain the extra power by removing all ancillary belts to combat the bog monster(see comment about overheating above.) Also the arm workout with the power steering pump belt removed saves me from having to pay for CrossFit.

"The transmission is brand new." I didn't realize that there were brand new transmissions available.

I seen that one.
People have no clue what these vans are worth.
From my experience it doesn't matter if you spend $200 or $20000 on these vans your putting the same money and work into them.

He's about $14.5k too high on that one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 122, 123, 124 ... 135, 136, 137  Next
Jump to:
Page 123 of 137

Jump to: