Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 126, 127, 128 ... 135, 136, 137  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

davlance01 wrote:
Called a junkyard for a 094 transaxle.

Used unknown condition...

$950

That's OK, the special wrench is $100 and the bearings are $32.

I'll pass.

Do these people just make prices up as they go or what?

We need a sticky titled: how to price your parts so they actually sell.

Lesson 1: your part is worth less than the machine that built it.
Lesson 2: no part is rare...they sold these vans all over the world.
Lesson 3: your not going to make a living selling your van one piece at a time.

PLEASE, tell me where you're finding the full bearing set for $32 and all of the tools necessary to rebuild and set up everything properly for $100. I'd like to buy a few sets. Rolling Eyes
FWIW, pull the plug, if there is no huge xmas tree of shaving or chunks on the magnet, that's the going price for a decent used or rebuildable core.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

some spotty rust Uhhh-huhh
rebuilt subaru motor Uhh Huhhh

$35k Uhh-huhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2475698

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Quote:
1987 Sycro Westfalia Vanagon 2.5L Subaru Price: 35,000 / OBO
1987 Dark Red Syncro 4X4- newly rebuilt Subaru conversion engine. The mileage is 279,999, but the newly rebuilt Subaru engine was put in at 269,000. The van came Washington state about 6yrs ago.

Bought for $25k before engine swap and mods. I invested about $25k into the vehicle all that needs to be done is cosmetic body work. I lost steam to invest further into the vehicle. Willing to sacrifice profit to find it a good home. Runs great, I have all receipts and extras.

Condition
Runs Great. Clean, non-smoker
Sink works
Audio system sounds great, Subwoofer driver side knob control.
Minimal to no rust on undercarriage
Spotty rust on the body as shown in photos.
The tent has some tears in screen sections, repairable.

Features:

Locking back differentiations
Rocky Mountain Steel bumper with bully bar and mounted D rings
South American grill
custom adjustable rocker bars
receipts for everything
black wheel well guards
electric "truck fridge" with mini-Freezer
new electric faucet and pump
larger power inverter
Powered door locks
LED light bar over Westfalia kitchen
Mounted/Removable Storage unit and cup holders between front seats.
Upgraded LED lighting kit for dash instrument cluster
wired for solar with dedicated fuse box.
Under seat storage with easy access Aux battery.
replaced carpeting and reupholstered loft bed.
leather steering wheel
General GRABBER A/TX tires
Rocky Mountain Subaru conversion kit
Stainless Steel coolant line
Stainless Steel Exhaust including Catalytic Converter
rear shoulder/lap seat belts installed
Upgraded sound system. Pioneer head with aux, usb, bluetooth, HD radio. Closet Mounted JL Subwoofer and dedicated amp, movable mid-range 6x9 Pioneer speakers with carpeted cabinets.
All-weather front floor mats
Optional assist pop-up hydraulics.
new hinges for pop top.
Brand new Pop Top raincover (never used)
Snap in Screen Door for the sliding door.
Rear hatch screen
More..

If you are serious, please contact me for more info or pictures.

Thank you!
Matt

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

^ "Locking back differentiations."
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

I should have thought of it before. The solution to seam rust?

No seams! :2gunfire:
Scubavw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Ya but it has the original paint and not that to some the nasty bed liner covering the rust up Wink
I find that it is so easy to pour a lot of money into a van and believe it is worth it. You will be hard pressed to make money especially if you do not do your own work.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

It also has the vanishingly rare "South American grill" - good for cooking Argentinian beef BBQ? Shocked
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

He should've invested $35 in an editor for his classified ad.
I'd have done it for $30, with a free reality check thrown in...

Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
some spotty rust Uhhh-huhh

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2475698

that step bar is the only thing holding the front to the back Laughing

Scubavw wrote:
Ya but it has the original paint and not that to some the nasty bed liner covering the rust up Wink

that is EXACTLY why i hate that shit.

let's be real.... give me 3 days and i can carve the lower 8" out of duraglass then pork on the rock-it-liner and your average schmuck would be all moist in the panties thinking they got "a good one"

i will give it this much...it's an honest looking van....doesn't appear to be hiding anything. not worth the asking price however.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

Boy, you guys are giving me pause in a big way.

I am currently using a roll-up to protect the bed of Sinka. There are spots of surface rust but once I got my health and Sinka's health sorted (which is pretty much now), I was going to get bedliner for the bed.

It's not to cover anything up, but to genuinely protect it. (I'd still use the roll-up unless I'm hauling branches or similar loose stuff.) Heck, I'm not even planning to sell it any year soon.

I'm 90-plus% sure I'm still going through with it but I'm bothered thinking folks jump to the same wrong conclusion.
kiltedhiker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
[quote=

I'm 90-plus% sure I'm still going through with it but I'm bothered thinking folks jump to the same wrong conclusion.

Be sure to document and take multiple pics to show what is underneath the bedliner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

then lose them on a thumb drive your cat/daughter/wife destroyed.
along with the title paper work to your boat trailer and ATV. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

oasis wrote:

I am currently using a roll-up to protect the bed of Sinka. There are spots of surface rust but once I got my health and Sinka's health sorted (which is pretty much now), I was going to get bedliner for the bed.
It's not to cover anything up, but to genuinely protect it. (I'd still use the roll-up unless I'm hauling branches or similar loose stuff.) Heck, I'm not even planning to sell it any year soon.

IMHO. Don't do it. The problem with bedliner is unless it's applied to very sound, tight paint, any rust will grow underneath the liner. You will have to repair any current rust spots and bare metal very carefully and then repaint before applying the liner. Even then, when dings and scratches cut through the liner rust will grow underneath and you won't know it until the rust gets real bad.
You're better off just repairing the paint and using other means of protection that allow inspection of the bed. A lot of the European owners use diamond plate and it was an option on some.
Dokas and Sinka beds are very hard to replace bad sheet metal. Better off being able to keep an eye on any problems and spot repair.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Scubavw wrote:
I find that it is so easy to pour a lot of money into a van and believe it is worth it. You will be hard pressed to make money especially if you do not do your own work.

Fyi thats not original paint. I know that van very well. It was repainted in 2002. Lived out west until at least 2012 when I lost track of it. Sad to see what it has become. East coast strikes again
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
IMHO. Don't do it. The problem with bedliner is unless it's applied to very sound, tight paint, any rust will grow underneath the liner. You will have to repair any current rust spots and bare metal very carefully and then repaint before applying the liner. Even then, when dings and scratches cut through the liner rust will grow underneath and you won't know it until the rust gets real bad.

You're better off just repairing the paint and using other means of protection that allow inspection of the bed. A lot of the European owners use diamond plate and it was an option on some.

Dokas and Sinka beds are very hard to replace bad sheet metal. Better off being able to keep an eye on any problems and spot repair.

You make a good case. I can take care of the light stuff myself; that's how pedestrian it is because I am not a DIYer by nature.

I'll have to investigate other options if there are any. Diamond plate is definitely not one. I think it looks butt ugly, even on Land Rover Defenders worth three times my Sinka.

I appreciate your opinion. Thanks.
Scubavw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Fyi thats not original paint. I know that van very well. It was repainted in 2002. Lived out west until at least 2012 when I lost track of it. Sad to see what it has become. East coast strikes again

Well I guess you known that the re-paint is not covering up anything. It is sad that these vans can go to rust buckets in just a couple of years.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

To oasis. There are bed liner haters here. There full threads here about people who have done it. Just document the condition of the bed before you do it. To me it’s the best choice for a truck bed. Just my thoughts. John
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:
There are bed liner haters here. There full threads here about people who have done it. Just document the condition of the bed before you do it. To me it’s the best choice for a truck bed.

Yeah, that thought crossed my mind while I was doing my own hating on diamond plates.

The thing is the shop who gave me an estimate to do that and the floor of the treasure chest made a strong emphasis about not guaranteeing anything about rust. I asked, rust? I thought you guys prepared the surface prior to application, and the bed is super solid. The response was, well, future rust.

So, this isn't the first time I have been given pause about doing this. In fact, I was against it when others suggested it originally. In my mind (and I could be very wrong but it's still my perception), bedliner is an American thing to do, and I'd be doing it to something very European. If I were really customizing it, that would be one thing; but somehow it does seem out of place on a stockish Sinka.

I've gone to two local body shops with top drawer reputations, and neither had the bay required to give it a more lavish treatment while keeping it painted. One shop suggested Maaco for something like I wanted (which gave me great pause, too) and the other said bedliner. That was the suggestion that got me motivated to get an estimate.

Once I do it, I can't undo it. If I do it, it will be the result of me coming to my own conclusion ... and, then, others' opinions matter not. Right now, however, I'm soaking it all in -- getting more opinions and, perhaps, other options.

Thanks for your viewpoint as well.
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
davlance01 wrote:
Called a junkyard for a 094 transaxle.

Used unknown condition...

$950

That's OK, the special wrench is $100 and the bearings are $32.

I'll pass.

Do these people just make prices up as they go or what?

We need a sticky titled: how to price your parts so they actually sell.

Lesson 1: your part is worth less than the machine that built it.
Lesson 2: no part is rare...they sold these vans all over the world.
Lesson 3: your not going to make a living selling your van one piece at a time.

PLEASE, tell me where you're finding the full bearing set for $32 and all of the tools necessary to rebuild and set up everything properly for $100. I'd like to buy a few sets. Rolling Eyes
FWIW, pull the plug, if there is no huge xmas tree of shaving or chunks on the magnet, that's the going price for a decent used or rebuildable core.

It's done, just needed that little star thing to pull the diff out and swapped out the bearings and a busted part inside the diff that sets the axle endplay. The rest of tools I already had and nothing special was needled.

The tool was a little over $120 and the parts were another $100, still way way less than $950.
$950 is way too much for a unknown condition transmission.

How would you know if it's a good rebuildable core? A oil change will get rid of the shavings, unless you disassemble the thing to verify the price. Bad ring and pinion makes a bad core last I checked and there is only one way of checking that.

Not on its best day is that tranny worth $950. That's more than a weeks pay for a lot of people.

That transmission is worth $300, I might have even given him $500 cause I like the guy but $950, nope.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:
To oasis. There are bed liner haters here.

and for good reason. too many DIY hero's plow it on thinking they did a good job. these are the same guys that refuse to pay the money to do it right.

i love the stuff when applied properly. personally.....i'll NEVER buy something that has had it applied. i don't care if it's a 2021 that i watched the guy peel the window sticker off of.

i use it. the whole deal here was sand blasted and epoxied before it was applied:

I was on the fence about putting the stiffener/reinforcing plates back on. I figured I could get away with not putting them back. but, I DID harvest them and had them blasted...and they were already in epoxy, sooo....may as well, right?

after the panels were welded on, I re-epoxied everything

welded the plates in and seam sealed everything. I used a 2 part 3M "real" sealer on everything followed up with the brush on stuff like the factory did

then went on to paint the engine bay. seeing the fuel lines are a real pain to remove, I just bagged them up

then I had the color 'color mapped' to match the original paint

when that kicked, I bagged the whole nose and got ready to rock-it-line the fender wells

that shit is EVIL, and seals like no ones business. for a split second I did think about color matching the arches, but honestly it wouldn't fit with the 'survivor' theme, and really I wanted to seal all of that work up 100%

here is some carnage of what got cut out

so, picking away I got the new heater core and evaporator all done up to put in the heater box

and blasted some brackets

again, more to come as I upload photos

thing is...in the collector car world which like it or not, we're in....looks down on this practice. if you ever want top dollar when you sell i advise not doing it

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Maybe that's why people think their parts are so valuable, because it may be a collector car one day.

They sold a crap ton of these vans around the world, how valuable can they really be?

I question if people are actually getting the money they are asking for these vans, some maybe but being the guy laying out the cash for these things cause I use them for work I seriously doubt it.

Here's a little secret that nobody talks about, it doesn't matter if you spend $400 or $4000 or $10000 on a vanagon your still dumping the same money into them to make them as dependable as a new car.

So guess what the guy with the cash says they are worth? The more the PO has done to it the less they are worth not more. I'd pay more for a good rolling chassis than I will for a complete van covered with gowesty parts any day of the week.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 126, 127, 128 ... 135, 136, 137  Next
Jump to:
Page 127 of 137

Jump to: