Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

December 58 Ghia cabriolet lifetime restoration project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: December 58 Ghia cabriolet lifetime restoration project Reply with quote

The tools he makes are amazing, I doubt you could find another guy better equipped to do this project right.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
danny gabbard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: December 58 Ghia cabriolet lifetime restoration project Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10212832806199422&type=3 Not sure if it will open ?? But if it does ? the build of Loren's Ghia since I have had it .
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: December 58 Ghia cabriolet lifetime restoration project Reply with quote

danny gabbard wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10212832806199422&type=3 Not sure if it will open ?? But if it does ? the build of Loren's Ghia since I have had it .

Yep it opens Danny...amazing work. Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: December 58 Ghia cabriolet lifetime restoration project Reply with quote

Danny has been getting a lot done on the Ghia lately. He welded up the hole for the radio antenna and metal finished the passenger side fender. He made a patch for the lower section near the rocker on the passenger side, but will wait to weld it in until the nose section is attached.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

He also made a small patch panel for the bottom of the inner fender on the passenger side. It was a bit complicated to fabricate, but he did an excellent job making it and welding it back in place.

With the exception of a few small details (indent for the fuse box) the driver side inner fender panel is low light ready, with all necessary welding modifications completed. It's clamped in place at the moment and looking good!

Now he is going to start fitting the front end back together and make sure all panels line up properly. It will take some fiddling to measure 100 times and weld once, but Danny is really getting excited about how the Ghia is shaping up. Once the front is done it should be smooth sailing, especially since that has been the most complicated and time consuming part of the body repair.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: December 58 Ghia cabriolet lifetime restoration project Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: December 58 Ghia cabriolet lifetime restoration project Reply with quote

Boy he does great work.👍

German Folks
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: December 58 Ghia cabriolet lifetime restoration project Reply with quote

Wow.
Just wow.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: December 58 Ghia cabriolet lifetime restoration project Reply with quote

One man Karmann shop.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: December 58 Ghia cabriolet lifetime restoration project Reply with quote

Loren, just read this from start to finish. Love the direction your restoration is headed and glad you found someone who cares about your Ghia the way you obviously do in the way that you pay attention to detail and all of what others would call minutia but you must also have patience too. I can only hope to have 1/1000th of the patience you have shown to acquire all the correct pieces for your Ghia. Will be following this onward
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karmann Gheezer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: December 58 Ghia cabriolet lifetime restoration project Reply with quote

It's been a while since your last post Loren. Any updates on your Ghia?
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: December 58 Ghia cabriolet lifetime restoration project Reply with quote

No new updates. In the past two years we have added two baby girls to the family so I am not as focused on the Ghia as I should be. With the addition of two new family members and their added costs I am considering pulling the Ghia from the body shop and bringing her back home. We will see how savings hold out. This is definitely a lifetime project, now if I only live long enough to finish it Very Happy
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: December 58 Ghia cabriolet lifetime restoration project Reply with quote

Well a lot has happened during the past to years (unfortunately nothing has changed on the Ghia). I am now the proud father of two and have come to the conclusion that my Ghia project will have to be put on hold. This past weekend I went to Danny's shop and picked up the convertible. It's now safely stowed away until I can figure out a way to move the project along. Remember this is a lifetime project, and I am not dead yet Very Happy
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: December 58 Ghia cabriolet lifetime restoration project Reply with quote

And so it begins again. I pulled my Ghia from Danny's shop last November and thought I would have lots of time so save money to move the project forward. Fortunately, (or unfortunately for my wallet) Jason Wrenn contacted me a little over a week ago and said he had an opening and was looking for a project to work on. He did the body work on my friend's 58 Ghia cabriolet and he did a fantastic job. Here is the post for my friends 58 Ghia cabriolet:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=737007&highlight=amazon+green+ghia

It took a few days for me to make a decision and make sure the wife was happy with it. She was on board, so I made the call and Jason picked up the Ghia puzzle this week. It's now safely stowed in his shop and he has already started working on it. He has a few projects in the shop and dedicates one week each month for each project.

My rotation is the second week of each month and Jason always sends photos of his progress, so I will be able to update this post every month. Looking forward to getting my Ghia back in one piece. If all goes as planned it should take about a year to complete the body work.

VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: December 58 Ghia cabriolet lifetime restoration project Reply with quote

That's great news! Jason does great work! At least you can spread the money out over a year. I just dropped my body off at Henry Marchena's shop for paint.

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: December 58 Ghia cabriolet lifetime restoration project Reply with quote

What a great news! He is doing such a good work, this cabriolet is gonna turn amazing !

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: December 58 Ghia cabriolet lifetime restoration project Reply with quote

Eager to see it getting done!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: December 58 Ghia cabriolet lifetime restoration project Reply with quote

Jason had a few spare days this week to work on my Ghia and he has been focusing on the pan. The original pan halves looked ok, but upon closer inspection we decided they either needed large patch sections or to be replaced entirely. Luckily I scored a great set of pans from a 66 Ghia chassis. I cut them so they can be spot welded in place as original. It looks like the only difference is the front 12" or so on both sides, so Jason is going to leave these sections and graft the "new' pans to them. The pans also have the plates for seatbelts, which will be nice to have if I decide to run them. We just have to add plates to the tunnel. The pan is at the blasters now and it should be back in time for Jason to start working on the pan in a little over a week.

These are the two sections of the pan that we are going to retain. The stampings were noticeably different that the ones on the 66 pan halves.

Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: December 58 Ghia cabriolet lifetime restoration project Reply with quote

Last week was my week for the rotation at Jason't shop and the Ghia restoration is moving along at light speed! The pan is back from the blasters and it's super clean inside and out. It has a fresh coat of primer and is ready for pan halves. As for the body, Jason decided to start at the back of the Ghia and work forward. Last week he started smoothing out the rear quarters and fitting the rear decklid along with dry fitting the engine bay panels and rear apron. It is all really coming together!

mouse action
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: December 58 Ghia cabriolet lifetime restoration project Reply with quote

WOW !
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: December 58 Ghia cabriolet lifetime restoration project Reply with quote

Lots of skill combined with wonderful tools. Beautiful work. Looking forward to more pictures.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 20

Jump to: