Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

High Output Alternator Subagon. External Voltage regulator
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject: High Output Alternator Subagon. External Voltage regulator Reply with quote

I'm all over Samba like a rash....
Ok all you electrical gurus, I am putting my electircal system together on my westy and I'm in way over my head as usual. I am using a battery isolator (Yandina 160) and a high output (140 AMP) alternator on my Subie 2.5. I'm fairly sure the alternator has a built in voltage regulator but a boat guy I know thinks an external voltage regulator is a good idea. I am going to be running an inverter, isotherm 12 fridge, amplifier, stereo, powered sub, coffee grinder...etc. My plan is to get separate house and starting batteries. A decent marine grade voltage regulator is big bucks. Anyone have thougths on this one?
Cheers
Honuak
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shoehorned a CS144 large case Delco alternator onto my EJ22. It has a 200A stator and an overdrive pulley. I'm just using the stock Delco (internal) regulator, it works fine. As long as you have a large wire going to the aux batt (I have 1/0 AWG) there won't be a significant voltage drop so the internal regulator is fine.
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Great news....
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

presslab wrote:
I shoehorned a CS144 large case Delco alternator onto my EJ22. It has a 200A stator and an overdrive pulley. I'm just using the stock Delco (internal) regulator, it works fine. As long as you have a large wire going to the aux batt (I have 1/0 AWG) there won't be a significant voltage drop so the internal regulator is fine.

What is the magic to make that fine piece of hardware fit?

(Somewhere I recall seeing something to the effect: A post with out pictures is not worth a ....... I normally think content is the best, but in this case a picture or two would really help to see just how shoe horned in it is. PLEASE?)

TIA,
Walt...

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
presslab wrote:

What is the magic to make that fine piece of hardware fit?

(Somewhere I recall seeing something to the effect: A post with out pictures is not worth a ....... I normally think content is the best, but in this case a picture or two would really help to see just how shoe horned in it is. PLEASE?)

TIA,
Walt...

Sorry for the hijack Honuak.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Hijack away Reply with quote

Thats frikkin sweet! Do you need to put a little extra tension on the belt for the higher output?
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Hijack away Reply with quote

Honuak wrote:
Thats frikkin sweet! Do you need to put a little extra tension on the belt for the higher output?

Thanks! Oh yes, the tension is pretty tight! Or else, squeeeeeeal...

I read on alternatorparts.com (where I bought the stator, diodes, etc.) that having too loose of a belt will cause it to slip and heat things up. Eventually the heat will burn up the front bearing in the alternator. So I keep it tight - no problems so far, I'd had this alternator on there for a couple years.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK this is going to get "sticky." Can you illuminate all the stuff that has to happen to put one in, please? Are those brackets modified stock or a kit? It is just too sweet. I want my house golf cart batteries to be kept happy!

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

presslab wrote:

Hi , could you indicate *which* CS144 you used. I found this site with a dozen or so CS144 for various applications.
http://www.alternatorparts.com/category_cs144.html

Just in case, that, was my solution

http://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/hiou135ampal.html

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VisPacem wrote:

Did you run a second (4 gauge) wire from alternator to battery, as they suggested?

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhinoculips wrote:
VisPacem wrote:

Did you run a second (4 gauge) wire from alternator to battery, as they suggested?

Is this going to be a solution to the battery indicating light coming on on dash in a westy with freezer?
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhinoculips wrote:
VisPacem wrote:

I did not and everything so far so good. However I will do just that. I am not certain I am getting full benefit of this alternator and I am also concerned with overloading my present wiring.

Yes I should Smile

VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

targis58 wrote:
Rhinoculips wrote:
VisPacem wrote:

Is this going to be a solution to the battery indicating light coming on on dash in a westy with freezer?

I would not know I sold my Westy long long time ago...

Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

targis58 wrote:
Rhinoculips wrote:
VisPacem wrote:

No. The solution to fix the light problem is behind the fuse panel and the relay. Visit the subaruvanagon yahoo group. There is a write up on how to do it there.

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My alternator was from a Camero, and is the "six-twelve mount" style. I got that on eBay. Here are the parts I purchased from alternatorparts.com:

241257 5-groove pulley.
41010782 200 amp heavy duty stator.
DR5180PF Transpo rectifier.
D1C120 Wiring repair harness.

I measured 111A at idle and 190A at speed. Goodyear 4050340 belt.

The brackets are custom made. The aluminum bracket for the PS pump and stock alternator was modified by cutting off the stock alternator mount. The pics show the parts I made - the slotted adjuster bracket and the two adapter brackets on the AC compressor side. The slotted part has a little offset in it at the bottom.

This mod could be reversed with a new PS pump aluminum bracket.

For the wiring I basically hooked the L (lamp) lead through a 470 ohm 1/2W resistor to switched 12V from the stock alternator wiring. This resistor is located in the harness. I also hooked the L lead to the alternator lamp so the dash lamp works. The reason I needed the resistor is because the Vanagon alternator lamp does not draw enough current to get the alternator going.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: