Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trip ideas in Southern Utah (or nearby)...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Trip ideas in Southern Utah (or nearby)... Reply with quote

Hello,

It's time for our annual Easter trip to the desert. We live in Salt Lake and are looking someplace interesting, off the radar and hopefully warm. We'd prefer to find a lonely patch of desert with good hikes and no ATV traffic. I know Southern Utah seems to have all the snow this year, so we may consider going a bit further South. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Doug
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We live in Salt Lake also and will be leaving on the 27th of March for our 2-week vacation. Last year we tried to do So. Utah at the same time and got our butts frozen with 21 degree nights. We finally ended up over at Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada and Lake Meed recreation area. They are both lower elevation. Watch the weather, if it looks cold in So. Utah, head for lower elevations.

In Utah, it's hard to get away from OHV's, especially on Easter weekend. Don't go to Moab or the northern San Rafael Swell, we made that mistake once before on Easter, it was crazy with OHVs. We've found that there are fewer of them the farther you get from the Wasatch Front, so south of I-70 in the Swell is better, but there are still some of them there but they are usually touring and not just ripping everything up like they are in the Wedge Overlook area.

This year we're headed down I-15 to Arizona, south of Quartzite to the Kofa Wildlife Refuge, which is supposed to have dispersed camping and does not allow off road driving so there shouldn't be any OHV's. This will be an exploratory trip for us. It's a long drive though from Salt Lake.

Have a good time. I wish you good weather. Rich
914 mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a group of 3 westy's going on a 1 week excursion to southern Utah.
Itinerary:
March 27-28 - Zion
29-Bryce and Capitol Reef
30 - Capitol Reef to Bull Frog via Notom-Bull Frog rd.
31 - Ferry across and end up in Natural Bridges or Mule Point
April 1 - Marble Canyon
2- Grand Canyon
3 - Loflin
4- Home (Fresno)

We liked the trip so much last year we are doing it again this year....with more friends.
Look for a yellow, a blue and an ass brown westy and give us a wave....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Great area! Hope the weather cooperates....

Mike
84 westy
2.2 suby
In a world full of ponies, it's a thuroughbred horse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cathedral Gorge State Park, Nevada. This place is a little gem, but I am not sure how cold it will be. You can turn west at Beaver to get there. It is kind of like a little Goblin Valley (I guess).

I am kind of a desert rat, so central Nevada wasteland is dreamy to me.

From there you could hit Ash Springs:

I have not been there but many people consider it a hidden little gem. I plan on going around that same time. I just found this write up, which covers the larger area:
http://www.sangres.com/nevada/wildlife-refuges/ash-meadows.htm

You just have to report back on your trip. By chance do either of you drive a Maroon Syncro Camper Pop Top? I passed this total cutey this morning on the way to work (with an attractive girl driving it), I think she got off of I-15 around 4500 South. I saw another dude a few weeks ago driving a gold GL camper south on I-15 as well.

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
DougR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions! We're meeting tonight to try to figure out where to go. I'll let you know what we decide.

Doug
chrome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeep safari week in moab is march 29 thru april 4, it will be wacko for all nonjeep fun, usually more than 5000 jeepers hit our little desert paradise
68 fastback
73 Thing
74 Thing
54 chevy 210
63 mercury meteor wagon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: