Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How dificult is it to change a few small cooling hoses?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: How dificult is it to change a few small cooling hoses? Reply with quote

I need to change 2 hoses on the 2.1 Doka engine. One from the thermostat tower to the other plastic tower, and the "S" shaped hose over #2 cylinder. Do I pinch the hoses up stream to prevent too much coolant loss and wear goggles and go for it. Or do I pull the plug from the cylinder and drain the engine first? Or do I just do it and make a mess and refill? Will this job avoid the whole bleed thing since it is not up front? Lastly, should I just draint it all and do a full flush?

Thanks, this is my only rear engine VW with Water in it.
(that was supposed to have water any way)

Tony
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its old fluid, change it all.
If not, I would use a catch basin under each connection, refill and bleed.

I don't think you can pinch off all the hoses that you would need to too stop the flow.
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject: hoses Reply with quote

I changed "a couple" last year...more like 20. I don't think you can avoid draining with those two. If you put the back wheels up on ramps it prevents the front from draining.

Have fun....Brian.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself a good locking hose clamp plier's, and pre WD-40 or soap up the ends of the new hoses--work like a Bat outa hell and you can get it all done with a minium of coolant loss.

Your gona lose some, but not the full meal deal.

Gravity kicks in here a little bit in the splish-splash your gonna be taking a bath department.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:44 am; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smokin_dodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the 3.3 swap i did - my buddy's helped me run the coolant lines. the lines we had were a tiny bit smaller (ID was smaller than OD of fitting) so we used Black RTV and covered the hose inlet - thatway you get a good sealed connection and its airtight thanks to the RTV

You should go ahead and replace as many rubber lines as you can - the longer you run the bad lines the sooner you are at risk for a broken line while driving.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: