Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question on converting bay rear seat to a bed with z-hinges
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpreadinTheLove64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Question on converting bay rear seat to a bed with z-hinges Reply with quote

Hi all, hoping some kind soul with experience will be able to shed some light. I’m wondering if the z-hinges have to be installed directly on the metal floor or can they be installed over my dynamat/lucite and vinyl plank flooring with out throwing everything off? I have a 64 split that I re-did the rear seat out of a early bay and wanting to get it installed. Also, if it can be installed directly to onto the vinyl planking for anyone who’s ever installed them...do your hinges stick out this far with the seat in up position? (1st pic, seat in up position, second, down) Seems odd to me!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on converting bay rear seat to a bed with z-hinges Reply with quote

My hinges are installed directly on the corrugated floor and seem to work as intended. I don't know how that will translate to a split.

Also, my hinges do NOT stick out that far... that seems weird.
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on converting bay rear seat to a bed with z-hinges Reply with quote

Are the hinges on backward? Confused
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on converting bay rear seat to a bed with z-hinges Reply with quote

I commend you on your correct z-bed nomenclature, however, I have no knowledge to help you with your application.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on converting bay rear seat to a bed with z-hinges Reply with quote

Actually, after checking my hinges they are as yours are. Mine stick out, but my carpet is black and covers the base plate and is cut around the hinge mechanism, so I never really think about it.
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on converting bay rear seat to a bed with z-hinges Reply with quote

Like cmonSTART says above about his set, mine are fitted to the corrugated floor as well. I'm wondering whether your flooring will give them too much height. Do your's have the support piece for a slot?

Also, if they are original 1970s ones, I personally wouldn't use the funky "Z-Products" self-tapping screws routine. For a safer secure fixing, I fixed mine down with M10 bolts, washers and lock nuts similar to seat belt anchor size, and square washer plates underneath (check where you intend to drill under your bus first so you don't hit any structural steel, I drilled each hole with a small 1/8" or smaller pilot bit first just to be sure I had gotten my measurements right, and before drilling, make sure when you tilt into the bed position that the feet won't unintentionally hit a bolt head). I later swapped the front hexagonal head bolts pictured below for more comfy on your toes round head allen head bolts. My kit instructions abandoned the Z-Products Jubillee clip idea, and you driiled and used M6 nuts and bolts instead.

If you look in my gallery you will find several pictures from 2010 of the Z-bed set-up.

Oh, and buy an air bed and a 12 volt pump for it, if you try and sleep on that thing without one, your back will seize up! Believe me, I tried for one night, that was enough, first thing in the morning we were off to the nearest camping shop to buy an air bed.

I fitted mine as I wanted to keep my stock 8-seater Microbus set-up. If we need the bus for camping, we just remove the middle bench seat, take out the VW rubber mat and throw a carpet down. If I was in your shoes, before you do this, I'd seriously consider fitting a Westy rock n roll bed, although I can see how you want to retain the stock red upholstery look (maybe you could get Westy cushions covered in similar vinyl?). Hope this helps.

1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SpreadinTheLove64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on converting bay rear seat to a bed with z-hinges Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
My hinges are installed directly on the corrugated floor and seem to work as intended. I don't know how that will translate to a split.

Also, my hinges do NOT stick out that far... that seems weird.

I know, I think the same thing but their not backwards. I looked at another set online as a guy was installing and they were the same way. These came from NLA vw parts with the worst, incomplete blurry instructions I’ve ever seen. I wouldn’t recommend them. I’d spend the extra on the delmar hinges.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on converting bay rear seat to a bed with z-hinges Reply with quote

I've used the Z-bed hinges on several buses and they work fine. They were the only thing around until the last 7 to 8 years when Delmar and a another production run of Z-bed hinges became available. I guess Tim sold the dies and plans to make them, or he made a run and sold them. Anyway it will all depend on the thickness of your flooring. Whatever height the floor is above stock will raise the bed that much. There is some adjustment but not all the dimensions will adjust out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: