Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy coming home tonight!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spinal Tap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Westy coming home tonight! Reply with quote

Our Westy has been vacationing out in the suburbs, in a friends garage. It's been there 3 or 4 weeks while I do some painting on the MG in our garage.

Well tonight's the night that the Westy comes back home!

Is it normal that I'm so excited? I haven't been able to stay off the Samba all afternoon! What's wrong with me?

Is there a 12 step program for this?

RCB wrote:
Its called tact...and tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a manner that they anticipate the trip.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No known cure, you'll have to live with it.

For me, too, a British car vies for my attention alongside the Westy. The best in when we can get away on a trip with both.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The British/German juxtaposition must be a comon fault among Westfalia owners Very Happy

I too have neglected one of mine - my Little British Car - a Triumph Spitfire - in favour of the Westfalia this summer.

If anyone comments on this seeming diversity of vehicle types, I just comment that it is specialization - each has its niche. A 1965 Land Rover to haul stuff around in a trailer; a Westfalia to get away, and a sports car for warm evening summer cruises.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hippiepilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy coming home tonight! Reply with quote

Spinal Tap wrote:
Our Westy has been vacationing out in the suburbs, in a friends garage. It's been there 3 or 4 weeks while I do some painting on the MG in our garage.

Well tonight's the night that the Westy comes back home!

Is it normal that I'm so excited? I haven't been able to stay off the Samba all afternoon! What's wrong with me?

Is there a 12 step program for this?
Yes there is but there are no graduates Razz
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Westy coming home tonight! Reply with quote

hippiepilot wrote:
Yes there is but there are no graduates Razz

There would be if we were talking about a German van/Italian car addiction.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
Spinal Tap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lovely TR-3. I think (IMHO) Triumph design peaked with the TR-6. I love a nice straight-6...Mmmm.... Trying to figure out a way to drive the Westy and the MG at the same time. Haven't figured that out yet. Laughing One of these days I'll drive the MG up to Road America to lap the track, and the wife will have to drive the Westy.

Ahwahnee wrote:
No known cure, you'll have to live with it.

Yet another cross to bear. So be it.

spitsnrovers wrote:
The British/German juxtaposition must be a comon fault among Westfalia owners

Actually I was pointed to the Samba by a member on an MG board. So yeah, a common fault, like leaky MG heater valves or Lucas electrics. Rolling Eyes

hippiepilot wrote:
Yes there is but there are no graduates Very Happy

OK, so I'll cut my losses and not even sign up!

Thanks for the support! The Westy made a flawless trip home last night, and was so happy to see us, that she didn't even make any lifter noise at startup! I'll give her a once over tonight or tomorrow, and go up to Wisconsin this weekend, if just for a beer run, since you can't get Spotted Cow outside of WI.

RCB wrote:
Its called tact...and tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a manner that they anticipate the trip.
Destructo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where I live right now I'm only allowed 1 parking space (but I can work on my van all I want in it Surprised ) Sadly, my 1980 MGB sits in my mom's garage 3 hours away. It patiently waits for his once a month cruise around the Central NY hills. I've found that both these vehicles are very easy to work on with the exception of the electrical systems. Now if I can only find out why the MGs fuel gauge reads right in the middle whether the tank is full or empty.
Oh...wait, that question is for another forum full of whacky enthusiasts! Cool

Dude, where's your van?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: wait Reply with quote

You mean you only spend the afternoon on here when the van is coming home?

uh-oh. Shocked

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
brexcavator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, me first, change your fuel lines..
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitsnrovers wrote:
The British/German juxtaposition must be a comon fault among Westfalia owners Very Happy

Me too! I've got a 73 MGBGT, but the Westy has been getting most of the attention this last year!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm in this 'wacky' car club as well. Previous cars include a Fiat X1/9 in Lime Green, a Triumph Spitfire I jammed a Triumph GT-6 engine into, and a strange Fiat 128 Sport-L or something similar. All were reliable and a blast to drive. OK, I also had a Chevy Vega Wagon with woodgrain on the sides (I think I just threw up a little in my mouth) that when driving 60 steadily would downshift when I floored it and slow down to about 55 before s-l-o-w-l-y creeping past 60 and then upshift at 65.

DougM
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: