Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

they sure aren't going down in value
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all know a 500.00 bus will need alot of work but sometimes you get suprised like I did on my 71 westy. All I did is put the carb/manifold back on and the right dist, oil change and the engine was golden. 2 rear wheel cly's. 2 rear shocks ( one was gone) a set of ball joints and one front wheel bearing and a repack a new top seal(it came with the bus) wash off the powdering paint and on the road all last summer Cool
It had tires so new on it the stickers were still there and the PO just had paid for the license good for 2 years and there was a new battry in it. the part cost was about 500.00 Of course my own labor. Thay don't come along like this very offen but it's nice when one does.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EspenX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

66ratrod wrote:
I bought this rust free, OG paint, (almost) Running deluxe for 500$ Last Year Cool
---snip--- but I have decided to restore the bus so it's no longer for sale.

Why restore a rust free, OG paint, running deluxe? Wink
66ratrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I said "restore" I meant that I would get it running , buff it, clean the interior, buy new tires and drive it and I have already done all of those things since I made that post. But I am definately going to keep it as og as possible , because in 20 years it is going to be as old as a 52' barndoor is now Wink .+it's a deluxe Cool

"ACWVs are like having a sick dog that has a 100 year life span and needs constant medical attention... that you ride to work daily."
-Brian

\Dancing Red Bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes - I would not be selling any bus in this economic climate. When the money we've been printing just so people will have some to spend comes home to roost, the dollar will drop in value unless countries overseas also print lots of money. When the value drops we will see prices of foreign bought goods get very expensive. That VW Bus you found for $500 was about $3500 - $5000 when new. Try to buy a new car today of that quality for that price.
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I got a sweet deal on mine at $2400. It's very solid, has minimal rust and just a few bondoed areas. It's the best VW I've ever had.

However, I see people posting here about how they get running Westfalia campers in excellent condition for less than $1000. I start to feel like I got ripped off, but I love my bus and it's served me well.
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well there 1000.00 or like in my case the 71 I got last spring for 500.00 I have posted here and man is it a nice westy but thay don't come like that very offen and this one got I don't plan on seeing another deal like that for a very very long time.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIOMX wrote:
I thought I got a sweet deal on mine at $2400. It's very solid, has minimal rust and just a few bondoed areas. It's the best VW I've ever had.

However, I see people posting here about how they get running Westfalia campers in excellent condition for less than $1000. I start to feel like I got ripped off, but I love my bus and it's served me well.

Yeah but did you buy it looking like that or did you have to spend more $ on it?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
RIOMX wrote:

Yeah but did you buy it looking like that or did you have to spend more $ on it?

It looks nice in that photo and it is in person, but the paintjob isn't great. Whoever did it didn't bother to protect the seals at all.

I've had to invest quite a lot of money. The previous owners focused only on making it look pretty and didn't put any money into maintaining it.

Since I've had it I:

- Dumped money into trying to extend the life of the T1 motor that was stuck in there in sloppy fashion
- Bought a custom T4 to T1 conversion tin
- Added a mustache bar and mounts, since it was being supported on the muffler
- Bought a bunch of miscellaneous parts - proper doghouse fan shroud, flaps, tin pieces, etc
- Once I got sick of the T1, I bought a T4 motor from a 1973 transporter and swapped back
- Had the A/C hole repaired with a piece from another bus
- Repaired the heating system, with new cables and a blower motor
- Replaced fuel neck and fuel filler neck (with late bay neck) and hose
- Replaced all fuel lines and installed new pump
- Replaced starter
- Replaced all vent lines
- Added charcoal canister
- Replaced CV boots
- Replaced brakes (front and rear)
- Bought late Westfalia interior and did the conversion
- Money spent on numerous hours of labor and miscellaneous parts and maintenance

So yea, I've spent money. More than I want to even think about Smile

Last edited by RIOMX on Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking of your guilt. Dont have any as alot of times those cheap busses are full of problems that add up. Inherit the reasons it was parked. Shure well all like to get the old lady bus that the now dead 13 year husband had and parked for $300. But a clean bus that needs minor attention for $2400 aint to bad. What would you sell it for today and try to get? $4500?

You did ok. Now I bought a project for $700 then paid another $100 in time and tow. So I was $800 into it before starting any resto.

Im into and almost done with the body work-cant wait to paint and assemble Rolling Eyes

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dcdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i still see good deals on craigslist but you gotta be ready with the cash and most of the time a towing device....obviously more rusty baywindows than 10 years ago......pretty soon we'll be fighting for rusty vanagons....oh wait some guys already are
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
I was just thinking of your guilt. Dont have any as alot of times those cheap busses are full of problems that add up. Inherit the reasons it was parked. Shure well all like to get the old lady bus that the now dead 13 year husband had and parked for $300. But a clean bus that needs minor attention for $2400 aint to bad. What would you sell it for today and try to get? $4500?

You did ok. Now I bought a project for $700 then paid another $100 in time and tow. So I was $800 into it before starting any resto.

Im into and almost done with the body work-cant wait to paint and assemble Rolling Eyes

Sorry to hear that, but your Westy looks to be in great shape. Looking forward to seeing it when you're ready to get it on the road.
fatmatt650
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey RIOMX, any idea of the history of your bus? Could it've been one of these? Even if not, I'd be real tempted to logo it up.

72 Highroof
86 Scirocco
"So much to do...so little time."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatmatt650 wrote:
Hey RIOMX, any idea of the history of your bus? Could it've been one of these? Even if not, I'd be real tempted to logo it up.

All I know is that it started out as a barebones pastel white Kombi. At one point it was converted to a camper with a different interior, possibly Riviera, and later back to a Transporter.

I don't like it being yellow and I wish it were still white. My wife and I want to fix that in the next few years.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: