Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

my FIMO vw barn door and others
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
redfern1950s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: my FIMO vw barn door and others Reply with quote

Hi every one,
These vans/models are made from a plastic/plastacine like substance that comes in many colors ..
It can be blended to make other colors as well.
This is hand formed and then baked in the oven for approx' 20 mins..
I build these vans in the same order that vw made them, the chassis upwards. they are 1/18th in scale..
every detail is there, and every thing works just like on the real things, especially the suspension...
The 54 samba is based on richard kings old van, thats now in the states. (1250 parts)
The ambulance is a 67 italian import. (898 parts)
The pick up is my own van.. (507 parts)
I have no molds, and no jigs, these are all hand made from scratch and took many years to get to this, FIMO is not an easy medium to use, i used to show them along with the diarama i made at 'bugfreeze' and they have also been featured in the 'split screen scene' club magazine in the uk
The first one i ever made was featured in the 'volksworld magazine , the copy with this in had a black karmann ghia on the cover and was entitled 'bad karma', the first model was crude and featured the 'freak brothers'.
Any way i hope you like them.
martin

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

time sheet for the fimo 1967 split screen ambulance by redfern1950s, on Flickr

interior shot of my fimo vw split screen ambulance by redfern1950s, on Flickr

my fimo vw spit screen ambulance by redfern1950s, on Flickr

my fimo model of a 1967 vw split screen ambulance by redfern1950s, on Flickr

fimo vw split screen pick up ambulance & 1954 vw samba barndoor by redfern1950s, on Flickr

my fimo vw split screen vans by redfern1950s, on Flickr

my fimo vw split screen vans and display by redfern1950s, on Flickr

fimo vw split screen display by redfern1950s, on Flickr

my fimo model of a 1967 vw split screen pick up by redfern1950s, on Flickr

over view of my fimo vw split screen vans by redfern1950s, on Flickr

Last edited by redfern1950s on Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:55 am; edited 5 times in total
EA57RHD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work!, love the deluxe Barndoor. Do you have any close up detailed pictures of the working parts?
********WANTED********
Whittier Lee Wood VW dealer license plate frame
redfern1950s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EA57RHD wrote:
Nice work!, love the deluxe Barndoor. Do you have any close up detailed pictures of the working parts?

Hi my friend,
Thank you for your interest...
I will be taking new photo's in the next few days,
Mad that you like the hardest one to make Smile
When i first made these, they didnt have a great deal of detail, it took me years to work them out properly, the hinges where a night mere and still are, 'very fragile' and break all the time, but then i did take them to shows, and they did get a lot of use...(nothing super glue cant fix).. and you cant tell they've been fixed.
Working parts are : working ragtop, both wing doors turning metal handle, both cab doors, front and rear suspension, wheels turn, glass slides in cab doors, middle seat has folding back rest for passenger entry and removable engine ( engine could do with a new one, this came out of an model.. )
The above working parts are on the deluxe,
The samba was the first van i made with hinges, i thought i would make the hardest first!
The ambulance has every thing, from the sliding cab partition to the removable wheel chair that is made from 46 parts, also has a sprung loaded side step and stretcher with genuine 1967 material ....
Each van has some thing better than the other, the pick ups rear suspension can carry a full mug of coffee, and still has travel.
The ambulance has turning door handles on all doors and the level of detail is better than the others etc etc..
Once ive taken better pics , i will get back to you..
I never really had any intension of selling these, i did them to show case what i can do/make....., but if the interest is there, then yes i will sell i will make them again....
bye for now,

my lego vw split screen barn door by redfern1950s, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75074049@N07/7667629180/
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

red,

i wish i could explain to you just how happy it makes me to see you do something completely useless, a total and utter waste of time, for no other reason than to look at it! Nobody needs these. Awesome!

to me this is what all art, music, etc is and should be about. Just like our hobby. It is not about the actual items, it is all about the fact that we as a civilization make them, love them, and share them.

much the same as bringing back the vw38 from lithuania or digging up kuebelwagen parts in sweden...

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Sooty Sooty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing! WANT!!!
redfern1950s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: vw models Reply with quote

Jake Shuttleworth wrote:
Amazing! WANT!!!

Hi jake,
Thank you for the comment, i will be making 7 of these in total.
I x red barn door single cab
I x grey barn door single cab
1 x red 60s crew cab
1 x grey 60s crew cab
1 x grey barn door micro bus
1 x red barn door type 21f.. (double door) - this i made last night. ( i was up till 3am !! )

The last one i will be making will be some thing special , probably a ambulance..

The reason im only making so few, is down to the availability of parts, lego dont make some of them any more....
The grey crew cab may have already found a new home in the states, that is, i hope the price isnt too high for the person interested..
'yet to work a price out, i will dismantle one, do a count of parts used,back track to work out the costs,"..
Im about to work out some instructions to go with them, these i will hand draw..........,
I cant go into detail of what go's into these, all i can say is, i spend many hours searching for the parts on the net, from all over the world..
Also there are some custom chrome parts, cost me a small fortune, but well worth the expense.
If you do want one, let me know.....,but please be patient the instructions will take me ages.....
Cost wise im thinking a 3 figure number...,all are my own design, no computer used .
Here is a picture of my latest :

my lego vw split screen double door barn door fire truck 'type 21f' by redfern1950s, on Flickr

Again, many thanks for your interest..
All the best.......,red
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: