Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

76 Preheat Question
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whitley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: 76 Preheat Question Reply with quote

I have an early 76 Bay 2.0 with the 6 pin AFM. I'm running stock heat exchangers with an extractor muffler. This leaves me with no preheat and while I understand what the preheated air does, I don't really understand how the stock preheat pipe worked with the two holes in the rear sheet metal. Was air drawn from the engine bay through the left port via hose down into the preheat pipe and then from the right side of the preheat pipe up to the air intake duct?
Since the bus is nearing the end of extensive repair and restoration, and I've spent tons of time trying to replace everything the POs removed, I could use some advice on the importance of the preheat system and how I could fab one to do the job. Otherwise I will simply seal the holes.
Thanks for the input-

What I do- www.mwhitley.com

Dig Americana Music? www.markwhitleyband.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, indeed the 75-76 preheat was a second tube piggybacked on the crossover pipe, but FI really doesn't need preheated air as there is no venturi in the system to ice up. Unless you are willing to fabricate a tube that can heat the air to a temperature that will open the preheat thermostat in a few minutes you're best option is to block the holes and disable the thermostat in the airfilter, it's another potential vacuum leak that L-jet doesn't like much. You can put a dummy hose on if you want it to look stock.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Whitley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Busdaddy- I'll seal it up and disable the thermostat flap.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 76 Preheat Question Reply with quote

Whitley wrote:
I have an early 76 Bay 2.0 with the 6 pin AFM. I'm running stock heat exchangers with an extractor muffler. This leaves me with no preheat and while I understand what the preheated air does, I don't really understand how the stock preheat pipe worked with the two holes in the rear sheet metal. Was air drawn from the engine bay through the left port via hose down into the preheat pipe and then from the right side of the preheat pipe up to the air intake duct?
Since the bus is nearing the end of extensive repair and restoration, and I've spent tons of time trying to replace everything the POs removed, I could use some advice on the importance of the preheat system and how I could fab one to do the job. Otherwise I will simply seal the holes.
Thanks for the input-

Are you talking about the vertical metal chimneys coming from the heat exhangers....one on each side.....about 2 inches or so from the joint where the heat exchangers connect to the muffler? If so...those are generally not heat risers for intake. They are to connect to the auxiliary fan that pushes air into the heat exchangers on models with gas furnace. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the 75-76 only preheat system, the tube is #24 here:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And the holes in the tin for it are these:

BTW all type 4 powered busses have the booster fan tubes, gas heater or not.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Whitley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm talking about Part #24 on the diagram- which does not exist when you use the aftermarket muffler/tailpipe combo Bus Depot and others offer. I have the chimney tubes from the heat exchangers to the heater booster fan no problem. I was just concerned that with the 6 pin AFM and no intake air temp sensor, how vital the preheated intake air was for good operation. I'm assuming its not an issue as long as the ambient air temp is above 68 degrees F, and even when its cold outside, the engine bay warms up relatively fast, so the the intake air is warm anyway. It will just require disabling the flap on the air intake duct that was specific to the 75-mid 76 buses. After all my searching, I've never found any info about this issue, so I wanted to throw it out there for those of us who have this specific, overly complicated exhaust/intake set-up.
Thanks-

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: 76 Preheat Question Reply with quote

Hi folks,

busdaddy wrote:
…your best option is to block the holes and disable the thermostat in the airfilter, it's another potential vacuum leak that L-jet doesn't like much. You can put a dummy hose on if you want it to look stock.

So there's a thermostat in the air cleaner AND a vacuum-actuated flap? Where is the vacuum takeoff point? (Manifold? Ported?) Any pictures of the system other than generic engine shots?

Thanks!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: 76 Preheat Question Reply with quote

I have the early '76 Bus FI system system transplanted onto my 411, it has always worked fine without having the preheat.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: 76 Preheat Question Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Hi folks,

busdaddy wrote:
…your best option is to block the holes and disable the thermostat in the airfilter, it's another potential vacuum leak that L-jet doesn't like much. You can put a dummy hose on if you want it to look stock.

So there's a thermostat in the air cleaner AND a vacuum-actuated flap? Where is the vacuum takeoff point? (Manifold? Ported?) Any pictures of the system other than generic engine shots?

Thanks!
Robbie

I've seen both vacuum operated preheat flaps and wax thermostat ones, could have been a mashup of later beetle airfilter parts adapted to the bus, can't say for sure. The vacuum would likely Tee into the supply line for the electric EGR.

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 Preheat Question Reply with quote

Ok that makes sense. Does the same air filter also have an EEC valve? Wouldn't it be nice to have two vacuum leaks in the same spot.... Wink

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 Preheat Question Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Ok that makes sense. Does the same air filter also have an EEC valve? Wouldn't it be nice to have two vacuum leaks in the same spot.... Wink

Robbie

Why yes, yes it does, the more the merrier. Razz

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 Preheat Question Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

Robbie

Why yes, yes it does, the more the merrier. Razz

I remember there being one 3.5mm hose connected, but I didn't remove the air cleaner to check for others. I'll report back when I'm stumped Saturday night when I pick it up...

Thanks Smile
Robbie
BennyynneB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: 76 Preheat Question Reply with quote

I just recently re finished and reinstalled a transverse crossover pipe for a 75 FI.
BennyynneB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: 76 Preheat Question Reply with quote

BennyynneB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: 76 Preheat Question Reply with quote

BennyynneB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: 76 Preheat Question Reply with quote

BennyynneB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: 76 Preheat Question Reply with quote

I just recently re finished and reinstalled a transverse crossover pipe for a 75 FI.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: