Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

taking the plunge, converting to Subaru Power
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: taking the plunge, converting to Subaru Power Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:
8 years and about 35,000 miles

You are still breaking it in.

Laughing

they haven't been an easy 35,000 miles Smile . there have been a few suspension component failures due to over stressing the original design parameters Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:

this thing is just amazing

I look forward to saying this with my van. I drove my friends 2.5, with power steering, and was blown away.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: taking the plunge, converting to Subaru Power Reply with quote

Quote:
8 years and about 35,000 miles

You are still breaking it in.

Laughing
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: taking the plunge, converting to Subaru Power Reply with quote

So its been 8 years and about 35,000 miles since I did this particular conversion. Its been fantastic. The only issues I've had are coolant connection leaks which were easy to fix. Other than that its just been basic maintenance.

It does smoke a bit when its been sitting, but that might be due to the oil being overfilled and seeping into the champers. It doesn't seem to have hurt anything.

I'm very happy with the 2.2 because of its simplicity, efficiency and reliability. The only time i ever think I need more power is on long climbs in the mountains. downshifting resolves that.

I've consistently got 18-22mpg. Temps are always 185-200F.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: taking the plunge, converting to Subaru Power Reply with quote

this happened to me-- the forward cam seals started leaking oil last week and made the header smoke--the aluminum 2 bolt cam cover on the right [of photo] has an o-ring that was cooked--easy fix--the left [of photo] cam cover is pressed in like a freeze plug and starts seeping--so I cleaned it up and laid a fat bead of super black rtv in the groove of the lug. let it cure for 10 hours in the day light and put on the oe 2 bolt plate to provide support. It was the only things I missed at tool time.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my quite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where did you order all of your parts from? where did the wiring harness info come from? I'm wanting to do this conversion also.
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:

I did have it stall for the first time the other day. I came off the highway and coasted down the ramp, then hit the clutch to downshift and it stalled. It threw a P1101, which is definitely neutral switch related.

Start signal, manual VS auto harness, 1 of the 3 wire need to be grounded if the donor car was manual (5 speed), if auto, all 3 wire need a +.

Some light stalling can happen, nothing major, at all. Small price to pay Smile

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been haunted by the P1507 code. I get it everytime I hit the highway. It doesn't seem to affect anything.

I did have it stall for the first time the other day. I came off the highway and coasted down the ramp, then hit the clutch to downshift and it stalled. It threw a P1101, which is definitely neutral switch related.

This is a well documented and common problem with the subaru swap.

I've put over 1200 miles on the conversion now. Its been nothing but smiles.
I can coast 75mph all day. thats really the fastest I'll cruise. I've had it over 90mph but the van is very loud at that speed.

I've been getting around 19mpg.
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
yep. I was told you can use an 88ohm 3 watt resistor on the fan leads (pins 73 and 74 i think) and connect the other ends to 12V ignition on and that will resolve the fan fault.

That's sure a cheaper solution than the SC interface board. I would have gone this route, being an electronics geek, but I wasn't finding this information documented and I decided against trying to guess what signal the ECU was expecting from the Fan Sensors and Fuel Tank Sensors.

I've since seen a pic of someone's home-grown interface board, but I don't think I've seen it's outputs or a schematic. If I get time I'll draw up and post a schematic on the SubaruVanagon group files so that folks who are converting on the cheap can build their own.

I will say, though, that the SC board is keeping all these codes at bay. I occasionally (like 2x/week) throw a P1507 (IAC trouble code) which I think may be resolved by installing a neutral switch. I say this because the engine's running flawlessly, so I don't suspect the IAC, but I've found a lot of posts on NASIOC about this problem being resolved by replacing the neutral switch. I'm going to put in both neutral and clutch switches since depressing the clutch is tantamount to putting the van in neutral. The only time I seem to throw that code is when I suddenly decelerate and depress the clutch or throw it in neutral, but I've been using it as my daily driver and rarely throw the code.

Paul
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep. I was told you can use an 88ohm 3 watt resistor on the fan leads (pins 73 and 74 i think) and connect the other ends to 12V ignition on and that will resolve the fan fault.
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 95 2.2 and the codes I am getting are P1500 and P1702. They do not effect performance but turn the light on.

I have not tried to fix yet but when I posted to the subaruvanagon site this is the responce I got.

"The P1500 is not a big deal.  Small Car's OBD2 interface board will take care of
this one.  Don Parham told me you could also 'just install a relay' to eliminate
this code. The P1702 is also no big deal but can be eliminated by grounding ECU, pin 50 (should be a blk/wht wire)."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

250 miles in on the conversion. Only issue so far is that the coupler I used for the rear heater core was leaking. I tightened it up and added a second clamp and it hasn't leaked since.

I've gotten about 18mpgs on the first 150 miles. I can't really count that though...there was a lot of testing, tire swapping and things going in and out of the van...heavy things.

You gotta rev the hell out of this thing to get to the top of the power band...and when you do its LOUD. we talking 5500+ rpms here. I still don't have the interior in yet... or the pop top canvas which makes a big noise difference.... but yea... very revy engine. The intake is noticeably loud.

Power is great. I can actually pass who are too slow in the fast lane now.... no problems getting her up to 90mph at all.

I'm getting codes P1500, P1501 and P1507. I think the 1501 and 1507 are related to the ECU running in Automatic mode. I have to ground that pin to make it run in Manual mode.

P1500 is something about the radiator fan relay, which I knew I was going to get because the ECU leads aren't hooked up to anything... the small car interface would fix this, but thats the only thing it would do for me so I'll live with it for now.

My tach is still reading half of what it should be. I used the diode mod... I think one of the two wires may not be functioning. Just been using the scangauge to monitor rpms.

There seem to be no ill effects from running without a cat. No codes, not symptoms yet.

I gotta tighten the serp belt again. If I idle at night and turn the headlights on it squeals a bit. I already tightened it up once to fix...
tozovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we'll see you here? Smile

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=419198&highlight=vanatubing

'83 1.6TD
DX 5 Speed
"Whistler"
www.sinisterbikes.com
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just posted this to the subaruvanagon group... figured it would be useful info to have here too.

I took my converted van to work for the first time today. Its about 35 miles. Its pretty hot out... 93F.

I drove 70-75 with a few spurts of 80mph (wow). Coolant was steady at 195F. When I stopped at a few lights it read 202F at idle and I heard the radiator fan kick on its low speed.

It looks like all the air is out of the system and its siphoning coolant out of the refill tank now. I'm using the complete small car coolant setup with reverse manifold. I'm reading the temps from OBD2 via a ScanGauge II. Stock VW sensor on the gauge reads about 2/3 up on the LED. (about half way up on the gauge)...just a shade higher than where the stock 2.1 would run.

Engine is a '97 EJ22 from an Impreza. Van is an '87 Syncro Westy.

Sounds like this it is running under the correct temp range.

She spins about 3800rpm at 70mph with lots of oomph. I have a new set of General Grabber AT2 on rims waiting to go on in 215/75/15. I'll report back on how many rpms that lowers the engine at speed.

Eddie
Destructo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best feeling ever, right?!

Ok, let's race...2.2 subie against a zetec Twisted Evil

Dude, where's your van?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:

Glad you are enjoying it. Welcome to the club. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
vannygun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so jealous! I hope to start the engine on mine saturday or sunday!!!!!!! I wans't too unhappy with the WBX powerwise just the leaks and high milage but if it is that much more fun I am really excited!!!!
2006 jeep commander
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

took her out for a spin today after my little diff lock mishaps.

this is the single best vw drive I have ever had.

are you f'ing kidding me?!?!?!? it felt like driving a porsche 911!!!! the power band is unbelievable.

I can fly right through the gears so smooth.... once in 4th it just keeps going!

It will easily push the van 50mph in 3rd gear.

its just so smooth! with all the b-quiet I added you literally can't hear the engine at idle. I actually could only hear the rear heater fan... which i didn't mean to have on (no wonder it was hot).

I read a lot of people on here that say "for all the effort I'd put something bigger than a 2.2"

no friggin way.

this is more than enough for me...way more. I can accelerate just as fast as I normally do in my firebird, and i don't baby it at all...

I can't wait to really open it up on the highway.

temps hold steady at 188 degrees F. The climb a tad higher at idle, but stay under 200.

Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com.....

no more rough idle.

wow does this thing run smooth. my first impression was how much better the clutch feels. So easier to press, glad I replaced all those parts. Shifting with the wbx was an adventure. it engages so much smoother.

Right on man. Applause First swap? Such a great feeling on first start. You'll REALLY dig driving it!

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres that air elbow timbo was asking about, 11 bucks:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/accessori...tid=154257

they also make a polished aluminum one for $28, might not fit though the curve is pretty wide...

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/accessori...me=Spectre
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: