Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shifting into reverse question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigWhiteVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Shifting into reverse question Reply with quote

I have an 85 Vanagon, I am pretty sure it's 1.9L, and water cooled. It's been driving like a charm (after getting a new engine). However, the shifter is pretty wobbly and sometimes I have a hard time putting into first.

I plan to install some GoWesty shifter tabs, thinking that should help this. Sounds right?

While doing some research, I found that some people have to push down the shifter to get the van into Reverse. This is not the case for us. Is this normal... Or does this tell us something else?

Any tips would help. And thanks for all the help this community has already provided.
Borg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifting into reverse question Reply with quote

There are a bunch of plastic parts that make up the shifter linkage. The past 33 years of shifting will have worn down at least some of them. Your linkage sounds pretty sloppy, take a good look in there and just plan on fitting new bits.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifting into reverse question Reply with quote

Shifter tabs may solve your problem. If you can just go all the way left and up without pressing down that may be the issue. Crawl under the van. drop your spare and you can see if they are worn down.
Boas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifting into reverse question Reply with quote

OP seems to have been asking if the default action for shifting into reverse is to push down on the shifter before moving it into place. The answer is yes, you engage the clutch, push the shifter down towards the floor, and move it from neutral (center) to reverse (left and up).
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Shifting into reverse question Reply with quote

You should certainly inspect the tabs as a lot of wear on them (or completely missing) would make for sloppy shifting and allow you to easily get past the reverse lock-out.

As a reference - Mine are worn (270K miles) but still shift well:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can get a look at them by just crawling under the van - easiest way is to just point a digital camera in their general direction and snap a bunch of pix - then examine those. That is how I got that shot.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: