Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Purchased GW shift lever extension, won't fit my shift knob
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Purchased GW shift lever extension, won't fit my shift knob Reply with quote

Here are a couple of photos of the shift knob from 87 Syncro. Does this look original? It won't work on the shift extension I purchased as the top of the ext. is solid.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little confused by your question. You have installed the Go Westy shift lever extension and now the knob will not screw back on? Or the extension does not screw on to the shift lever?
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the extension will not fit your shifter or the knob, they sent you one for the early years.
Give them a ring to clear it up.
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchased GW shift lever extension, won't fit my shift k Reply with quote

peaceful warrior wrote:
It won't work on the shift extension I purchased as the top of the ext. is solid.

Do you mean, that it's not threaded?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
Little confused by your question. You have installed the Go Westy shift lever extension and now the knob will not screw back on? Or the extension does not screw on to the shift lever?

The extension will thread onto the shift lever, but the knob will not thread onto the extension as it is solid at the top. The shift lever is hollow, so the the guide that you can see in the first photo slips into the center. The threads for the knob are opposite the guide. With the extension not being hollow at the top the knob will not slip on to thread it.
Is that clear?

I have called GW, and Ted said they sent me the correct one. He is looking into it. Ted was surprised that it did not fit.

My question is, is the knob I have original/correct? It seems to be, but I have nothing to compare it to.

Here are photos of the top of the extension. and the top of the gear shift lever. See how the extension is solid. Now, compare that to the hollow top of the shift lever. The knob cannot thread on as the guide inside the knob has no opening to slide into!

TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received and email from Ted.
"So I went and found a Syncro shift knob and was able to mount it on the extension by simply removing the nut from the extension. The inner guide piece is rather soft and will compress when mounted."

Well, that did it! I thought the nut needed to remain or why would it be in the package? doh! If you did not have a stock knob.

It's on now!
TOOB Member #15
Brian
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they forgot to machine the threads for the knob on the extension.
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
Looks like they forgot to machine the threads for the knob on the extension.

No, it's threaded! Just the angle of the photo.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I take back what I stated before. It will not thread onto the knob unless you modify the knob by pulling out the urethane guide. I refuse to do this as it will alter and possibly compromise the knobs integrity. I don't know that for certain, but it was designed this way for a purpose.

After speaking with Ted, we came to an agreement that they will send me a return envelope with postage so that I can return it to them for a refund.
I explained to Ted, that I should not need to alter my original part to fit what they are selling, and since that is not mentioned in their listing for the part (alteration that is), I should not be liable for the return postage.

Secondly Ted, stated to me that he thought the 2WD Vanagon did not have this urethane guide, per the knob he used, but the one he took off a Syncro did have the guide. I cannot verify this, as I do not have a standard 2WD Vanagon to compare it to. I would be curious if anyone could check this out on theirs.

Lastly, I explained that if GW was going to sell this for Vanagons, that alteration would need to made for a Syncro should be noted, but not for a 2WD.

Bummer all the way around, but Ted represented GW well, and took care of this. I am satisfied the way this has transpired, other then I will not have an extension on my Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just buy a new knob to use with the extension and leave the original intact as an original souvenir .
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perales wrote:
Why not just buy a new knob to use with the extension and leave the original intact as an original souvenir .

Because then my wife won't know how to shift it......she needs directional instructions as are on the original knob.... Laughing

Actually, good idea. I called Ted and told him I would keep it and find an aftermarket knob......will have to remove though when the wife needs or wants to drive. I'll have to leave the OG knob in glovebox. Wink
TOOB Member #15
Brian
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peaceful warrior wrote:
Perales wrote:

Because then my wife won't know how to shift it......

Or you could use the old knob and get a new.... nevermind. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chimivee wrote:
peaceful warrior wrote:
Perales wrote:

Because then my wife won't know how to shift it......

Or you could use the old knob and get a new.... nevermind. Wink

Definitely a never mind.........I have the coolest wife, who loves my VW's, puts up with my obsession for them. Funny comment, nonetheless Laughing Laughing .
TOOB Member #15
Brian
austinindian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious about this item for my 84 westy. Anyone here been using this extender for a long time, say a year or so? What are your pros and cons.
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nut is a jam nut that goes onto the original shifter so that you can position the extension properly
LandSailor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my 84. It fits onto the shift rod, but the knob doesn't fit onto it. My knob was pretty trashed, but now it's REALLY trashed from trying to get it to fit.

I ended up forgetting about it once it got too hot to drive. :-/
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LandSailor wrote:
I had the same problem with my 84. It fits onto the shift rod, but the knob doesn't fit onto it. My knob was pretty trashed, but now it's REALLY trashed from trying to get it to fit.

I ended up forgetting about it once it got too hot to drive. :-/

I ended up compromising and I pulled the urethane guide out of the stock knob and it fit perfectly on the extension.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: