Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electrical puzzle
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
norab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Electrical puzzle Reply with quote

This is not the first time I have posted electrical problems and for the life of me I cannot understand what goes on when I get around the wiring. I have a 1963 Type 1, 6v Bug and I was replacing my radio (I had removed the glove box for better access) and noticed a frayed wire coming from the windshield wiper motor. The wire exits the motor and runs to #54 on the windshield wiper switch then exits to the fuse (I’ll get to that part of the problem later). In examining the wiring, I noticed it had been spliced in two areas, so I decided to replace the wiring from the motor to #54 on the switch to the fuse entirely.
When I turned on the ignition to test the wipers, the wipers did not work. Also, my turn signals don’t work now, but the turn signal Speedo light is constantly on with the ignition switch to the on position.
I checked a wiring diagram to see if I had made a mistake in re connecting. I noticed the wiring goes to the #1 fuse. Originally, on my Bug anyway, the wire ended on fuse #2 – so I followed the diagram – and when I turned on the ignition, I saw smoke coming from the wiring to the WW motor. I am totally confused. Buck Naked: Are you out there?
Buck Naked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do enjoy this kinda puzzle, however, I saw this as I was running out of the house. Just to be sure your car has an 8 position fuseblock and when you say fuse #1 you mean the fuse closest to the driver side; right? First remove the wire you replaced from the fuseblock and check that the fuse is good. Now turn on the ignition is your blinker indicator still on? I`ll check back a little later after my errand and after I`ve looked at the wiring diagram and my `63s wiring for better info.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct about the fuse box: #1 is to my left as I sit behind the steering wheel. When I remove the wire from #2 and turn on the ignition, the blinker indicatior is still on.

I am an early riser - 0415, so I will call it a night. But I will check any further information from my office tomorrow morning o/a 0600.

Thanks for your help.
Buck Naked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also up early ~0330, was at at work and unable to respond before now. This is the wiring diagram I use for my car.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_62.jpg
Mine has been converted to 12V ( by PO ) but still has a 6V wiper motor.
Lets start with getting rid of the problem of the blinker light being on all the time. Please dont connect the wire you replaced for the wipers(the one that had 2 splices in it.)
You keep refencing fuse #2 as where your wipers connect to; on the above diagram it shows that #2 is for High beam headlights.
Did your wipers work before? (with the ignition switch on not the high beams).
Even with these issues your are having does your car start and run? Brake lights work? Horn work? Generator and Oil pressure lights turn on w/ ignition and turn off after car is running? Is your blinker lever in the center(OFF) postion?
I ask because all thes items relate to connections at fuse #1.
On fuse #1 there should be a Black wire w/ Green & White stripes that goes to the blinker flasher; remove from fuseblock. Turn on ignition, is the blinker light still on?
You say you saw smoke from wiring, was it the wire you just put in? Does it look burnt or is it very stiff/brittle?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wipers worked before with the high beams on. The car starts and runs. Brake lights work. Horn? - the SOB hasn't worked properly for years (but that is another story - stay tuned) Gen & oil lights function normally. Lever is in off position. Blinker light is on with wire removed from fuse box and ignition in on position.

Wire was original that burned (the black wire on the WW motor to the WW switch 54 - according to your reference wiring diagram). After I had replaced the old wire with the new and discovered the problem, I reattached the old, thinking the problem would resolve itself. No such luck. Then I examined the 1963 Type 1 wiring diagram and went through the ordeal of removing the end wire from #2 fuse and placing the end wire on the #1 fuse - that's when it smoked.
Buck Naked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK talk of horn is bad, we`ll skip that for now.
Did the wipers ONLY work with thw highbeams on ? I ask because fuse 2 ONLY gets power with highbeams on. It seems weird that they were ever connected here.
Check that fuse 1 is not blown.
If you havent reconnected Black w/ green & white to fuseblock position go ahead and do that.
Is the flasher relay grounded properly? If not, make sure you get a secure ground to terminal 31. Turn on ignition; blinker indicator on or off?
Remove the wires connected to terminal 49a (should be 2 a black w/stripes & a blue one) of the blinker flasher. Turn on ignition; blinker indicator on or off?
Again this is trying to get your blinkers back working properly, I`m still looking at my wiring to figure out where the wipers could get messed up. Also sent you another PM
norab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I have:
Wipers worked w/ and w/o high beams. Fuses are OK. I reconnected black w/ green and white to fuse box position #2

I have a two-prong flasher w/o any numerical indicators so I can not be sure the flasher is properly grounded as I cannot see a #31 terminal on the flasher. I can say it is the same as before when all was well.

With ignition on and black w/ green and white wire on #2 fuse box, flash indicator is off. If wire is attached to #1 fuse box, the wire from WW motor to WW switch begins to get hot.

Disconnecting the two wires (black w/ stripes and the blue one) to the flasher and ignition on, there is no blinker indicator.
Buck Naked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please reconnect the black w/ stripes & blue wire to the 2prong flasher.

The wire on the other side of the flasher is supposed to be connected to fuse #1. (NOT #2) Please connect it to fuse #1
Your flasher is a different style, so we wont worry about terminal 31.

Does your wiper motor look like this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thats my wiper switch in the background right above the hacked radio hole in my dash
It would have starting at the top: Black w/ stripe, Brown, and plain Black.

Black w/stripe goes to switch 54d

Brown goes to switch 31b

Black (plain) goes to switch 54 then to fusebox.

If so REMOVE Black (plain) wire at fuse box. This wire is the only way the wiper switch and motor will get power with the ignition on; and right now we dont want that .
Now turn on the ignition and test everything else and make sure it all works like it did before you started on your radio project. If it does great. Tell me if anything other than the wipers ( and the cursed horn ) aren`t working.
I noticed that around my wiring from the wiper switch to fuse block that there are metal tabs to help hold wires away from the radio, glove box hinge and ashtray; make sure that none of these in your car are actually pinching the wire between the switch and the fusebox causing some kind of short. I find it a little difficult to try and do this without the actual problem in front of me, but don`t worry we will get it sorted out.
norab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused. I have reconected the black w/ srtipes and blue wire to the two-prong flasher. Here's the problem: the wire on the other side of the flasher is a black one that travels into the wiring harness to the right of the speaker and then back to the rear of the car.

As for the picture of your WW motor, mine is the same but I will wait to do anything else until I/we can figure out what's happening with the flasher wiring.
Buck Naked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats wierd about the flasher wiring, more in a minute.
Make sure you disconnect the wire running from the wiper switch at the fuse box for now. That way nothing happens to it; you said it was getting hot and thats NOT GOOD.
Do you have a volt meter or test light? (or can you borrow one). We are going to start tracing voltage and you`ll need one of em.
If you look at the diagram the flasher (J1) has a wire that goes to fuse 1 on one side and 2 wires on the other that go to the blinker switch and the speedo indicator. Nothing to the back. I`ll check back in a little bit or PM me when you get this
norab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - wire from switch to fuse box has been disconnected.

Yes I have a test light.

I see the 2 wires from the flasher that go to the speedo indicator and to the blinker switch. What could be the function of the black wire coming from the harness that is connected to the flasher? And God only knows how it got connected to the flasher in the first place. I KNOW there are electrical gremlins under the hood.

Thanks for your patience.
Buck Naked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem to help, I just hope you dont get discouraged.
Does that weird black wire have voltage when then key is on?
In my car the wire I think you are talking about connects to fuse 1; and is power to the coil and choke element in the engine compartment.
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucknaked you Rock, I'm reading this like a Mystery Novel and you are the Dectective.
Buck Naked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I solve the case
old_n_slo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovethatconvertable wrote:
Bucknaked you Rock.

X2

He helped me a heaping bowlful with my parking lights recently. They're just like from the factory now.

Laughing
norab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black wire does have voltage when key is on - and when placed on the #1 fuse, naturally the blinker light is no longer on. Now I am assuming I should be looking for the wire to connect to the other side of the flasher.
Buck Naked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets do it like the diagram. If you can read it the flasher is supposed to have the terminals marked. The one marked ` + ` should have wire going to fuse 1 on the side near the gas tank; the other terminal marked ` s ` should have 2 wires one should be blue and connect to the light in the speedo the other should be black w green & white stripes and go to the blinker switch.
If this is all done like that, your blinkers should work properly.
Let me know what ya got now
norab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flasher is free-floating and has no + or - markings.

However, I connected the black wire w/green and white markings as it came to me; then could not find the wire that goes from the other side of the flasher to the fuse. So I constructed one. There being only two options regarding the flasher, I alternated the wires on the flasher and got the turn signals to work.
Buck Naked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray! Thats what I like to hear. So everything works except the damn horn and the wipers, right?
What I meant by ` the side closer to the tank` was wich side of fuse 1 on the fusebox to connect to, this side allows it to be protected by a fuse.
Did you look at the wires that come out of the wiper motor and the switch to verify that they aren`t pinched or shorting some how?
norab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check the wiper motor later - tomorrow is another day.

Thanks again. I am enjoying the hunt with your guidance and am learning in the process.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: