Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stuck Grease Seal in Rear Bearing Covers
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Stuck Grease Seal in Rear Bearing Covers Reply with quote

I did some digging around and couldn't locate any posts that address this...

I'm in the midst of rehabbing my rear suspension and it appears that the outer grease seals in my rear bearing covers have not been removed in a VERY long time. As such, they're frozen in the groove which the seal presses into. I've been trying to remove them, but with very little success. I've soaked the bearing cover in PB Blaster, pried at the material with a small screwdriver, but the only thing I've manage is to do is tear up the grease seal, leaving most of that perimeter rubber wedged in groove.

Any tips or tricks to getting the rest of that material out so I can replace the seals? Maybe something that would dissolve the rubber? Bake it out?

Looking around online, replacement bearing covers seem hard to come by (unless you want chrome which I don't), so removing that stuck material seems like the only solution.

Thanks in advance.

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
gevmage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck Grease Seal in Rear Bearing Covers Reply with quote

RONIN10 wrote:

I'm in the midst of rehabbing my rear suspension and it appears that the outer grease seals in my rear bearing covers have not been removed in a VERY long time.

This is an IRS, right, not a swing axle? And you're talking about the seal that covers the roller bearing on the outside; that is, the one you can get at without being under the car?

Quote:
Any tips or tricks to getting the rest of that material out so I can replace the seals? Maybe something that would dissolve the rubber? Bake it out?

The seal is a metal ring covered in rubber. Dissolving the rubber wont' help. You have to deform the metal ring so that it just comes out. You basically take a sharp punch and a hammer and hit one point on the rim inwards towards the center so that it goes out of round, then it won't hold in the hole any more.

PIctures might help; we can show you where to hit it.
(channel name "figuring stuff out dot net")
Physicist, pilot, computer person
craigsteffen.net
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is an IRS, right

Yes. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

Quote:
And you're talking about the seal that covers the roller bearing on the outside; that is, the one you can get at without being under the car?

Yes, again.

Quote:
You have to deform the metal ring so that it just comes out. You basically take a sharp punch and a hammer and hit one point on the rim inwards towards the center so that it goes out of round, then it won't hold in the hole any more.

I'll give this a try tonight and see if it works. I'll update with photos then as well.

Pink MG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put the cover on a couple real short 2x4's so the face of the seal is above the bench and knock it out from behind with a drift pin or like tool. I actually used the jaws of my vice instead.

Or you can spend a couple $$ and buy a seal removal tool K-D Tools or Lyle make them.

I just did mine ('74 Beetle) and used a drift. I'm sure they've been in there for 36 years too. They are supposed to fit tight...they're pressed in.

Be sure to clean up the surface on the bearing cover before you reinstall the new seals. I finger wiped a little grease on the outer diameter of the new seal so that it pressed in without getting warped. Finger wipe a little grease on the inner lip before you reinstall the bearing cover too.

I think the German Elring seal kits (1 each side) were # 311 598 051

Last edited by Pink MG on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
gevmage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RONIN10 wrote:
Quote:
This is an IRS, right

Yes. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

No problem, I just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing. I've never looked at a swingaxle up close, so I don't know as much about those.

Quote:
I'll give this a try tonight and see if it works. I'll update with photos then as well.

Oh, here's a thread where someone's having similar issues getting the inner seal out (the one nearer the transmission). It's similar, though, and the photos might be useful to you.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=402901&highlight=
(channel name "figuring stuff out dot net")
Physicist, pilot, computer person
craigsteffen.net
Pink MG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the outer seal on the swing axles are the same as the IRS...at least the listing for the seal kits cover both types with the same part number.
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got 'em out...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wedging a small screwdriver and leveraging it out worked. Turns out I what I was assuming was part of the bearing cover itself was actually just the metal ring encased in the rubber which explains why I was so hesitant to do much to it without further input. Once the fear was gone, I pried to my hearts content. The first one popped out easy, the second required a bit more effort, but still popped out easy.

On the comment about the IRS vs. swingaxles kits...the kits I purchased include two o-rings (one large, one small), a paper gasket, and the grease seal itself. My understanding is that the small o-ring and the gasket are specific to the swingaxles, the large o-ring is for the IRS, and the seal itself is shared between the two.

Thanks for the input!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: