Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

An Irresponsible Adventure: Andy the Bus
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: An Irresponsible Adventure: Andy the Bus Reply with quote

spectre6000 wrote:

Sadness aside, it turned out to be an excellent decision. I replaced Andy with a '99 Toyota 4Runner (4X4 with safety features), and that winter my wife rolled it in slow motion in the transition gap (where rain in the flats turns to ice for a very brief section before finally turning to snow at altitude). She was uninjured, but the 4Runner was totaled. It would have been a very different story in Andy.

Our family has (unfortunately) been in involved in 2 nasty addicts while driving 4Runners, a 1996 and a 1995. Wonderfully designed vehicle in that the people inside survived with minor injuries and the cars were both complete totals. I am grateful for the people at Toyota that engineered those crush zones but left the passenger compartments intact to protect the people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: An Irresponsible Adventure: Andy the Bus Reply with quote

Zombie again, but I'll answer.

I sold Andy in 2011 when I moved to the mountains in Colorado. Having grown up and subsequently learning to drive in Texas without ever really having seen snow, I didn't want to learn in a vehicle where my crumple zones (legs) were required to leave the scene of the accident. It was a difficult decision, and I shed a tear when he was loaded on the trailer, but he went to a good home in Ohio and has since been restored. The new owner called me with updates during the restoration, and we've been in touch. He may park in my garage again some day.

Sadness aside, it turned out to be an excellent decision. I replaced Andy with a '99 Toyota 4Runner (4X4 with safety features), and that winter my wife rolled it in slow motion in the transition gap (where rain in the flats turns to ice for a very brief section before finally turning to snow at altitude). She was uninjured, but the 4Runner was totaled. It would have been a very different story in Andy.

-'58 German Market Deluxe Beetle (in progress)
-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
"Buy the best, cry once." -Gene Berg
"A cheap man will always buy the cheapest thing available, and then buys another one hoping for a better result, and then spends the rest of his life in misery complaining about it. A thrifty man will buy a good part once and never think about it again." -RockCrusher
"Don't feed the Shitty Parts Monster!" -Me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

found this online from december 2011

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/62-vw-panel-bus-for-trade.545199/
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been reading a lot lately and curious what happened to this bus....

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Mr. Electric Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zombie thread alert. Laughing

(T)exas (C)oalition (B)uses
(H)eidenhammer (B)ully (B)oyz

--1966 De Luxe Camper
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any new updates on Andy?

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad the next trip won't be as much fun to read about.
You know what you're doing now!

Seriously, though, I remember reading this thread last March.
Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Thanks.
j.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. but we just heard your story. For free Smile

Just kidding bro, I'm sure someone will buy it. But, one question. How did you know it was a DIME bag. Hmmmm.
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI for those interested, my fiancée and I are working on a book documenting our adventures (likely the first in a series) that will have all sorts of photos (including many not found here) and a more detailed narrative. We'll be selling them at shows and such and maybe here on the Samba if there is any interest. It'll probably be a coffee table sort of book; hard/soft cover will be dependent upon interest levels and cost. So the question is, is there any real interest out there? Is it worth pursuing on a more-than-one-off basis?

-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
"A cheap man will always buy the cheapest thing available, and then buys another one hoping for a better result, and then spends the rest of his life in misery complaining about it. A thrifty man will buy a good part once and never think about it again." -RockCrusher
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doppelkabine265 wrote:
Great story, You have got to bring that out to the Fredricksburg show!
http://www.texasvwclassic.com/

A little late, but we were there! We didn't get there until about 4 AM Saturday morning because of an issue with some electronic points. We put in a set of regular points and discovered that I had a freeway flier in there!!! We were doing 75 mph with RGBs!

This weekend I took the bus to the local guru who gave it a clean mechanical bill of health. I've driven it exclusively for the past week. All it took was a new engine, all new everything electrical (save some bulb holders and the headlight dimmer switch), all new everything brake related (including an upgrade to a '67 dual circuit master cylinder), new tires, and a few bits of pretty: cup holder basket, new sun visors, shifter extension, e-brake extension, rear view mirror night shade thing, 3-point retractable seat belts, and a cab divider to keep down the noise of a bare panel interior! A/C (the 2X55 system doesn't work when it's 106 in rush hour traffic; safaris wouldn't even help in that situation) and oil filtration are in the works for the next oil change.

Andy is alive and kickin', and we're planning our first post-op road trip. After a few work-up trips, we'll be ready for our honeymoon next summer.

-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
EODinert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epic awesomeness found here.

I just bought a bus with an asthmatic 1500... my first bus. Had to drive it from PHX to LA for OCTO and the Classic, then to San Diego, and back to PHX (and beyond).

I thought I was smart by taking a spare motor with me... just change it out on the side of the freeway, right? Motor made it the whole way (barely), but even though the bus was 12 volt, the motor still had a 6 volt flywheel on it (so there is no way I could have stuffed the new motor in there on the side of the road).

Irresponsible? Only if you're not prepared to accept the consequences of your actions. I'm itching to take another road trip... Mexico City, maybe..

Thanks for the cool thread.
Kugen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread,enjoyed all the pictures Very Happy
69sback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's awesome
Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story, thanks for sharing Very Happy
doppelkabine265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story, You have got to bring that out to the Fredricksburg show!
http://www.texasvwclassic.com/

'55 Euro Wolfsburg Kombi
"Volkswagens in particular, as the Peoples' Car, tend to get passed around like a reasonably priced sex worker, and it is rare to find one that hasn't been pawed at by a train of users applying more urgency than finesse." M. Crawford- Shop Class as Soulcraft
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how was the weed? Wink
slamnfreak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome story and great pics.
Keysar
Samba Grammar Tutor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a very insperational story, thanks! Cool
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: The 40-horse is a no-go... We got the 1600sp out, and I figured it would be easier to adjust the 40-horse on the bench. I went to turn it to TDC, and it would only turn about 179* in either direction (not compression, definite blockage of some sort in a cylinder). I had a spare set of 40-horse cylinders and a full gasket set laying around (like you do) and went about rebuilding the thing. I was told when I got it that the 40-horse was a recent rebuild and would fire right up when put into service. It turns out the 40-horse had been rebuilt in the past with a different set of cylinders with very small wrist pins and considerably less cooling fins. It was also covered from top to toe in oily grime... There were some bushings pressed into the rods that prevented using the new cylinder set, so I just put it back together with the gaskets and crossed my fingers. I got it in the bus and no spark... the generator was dead. I'm a little annoyed at this point.

Last night I tore down the 1600sp to see what the problem was. As suspected, the #2 cylinder was experiencing some serious blow-by... #1 and #3 weren't far behind. The cylinders were just very very worn. I spec'd out what I would need to rebuild the thing (don't forget the carb that was crapping out the whole way), and it wasn't much more to just buy a long block (with a warranty no less) from a shop here in town. I'll head down there Saturday to pick one up, and in the meantime try to take care of some of my other minor electrical issues so I can pass inspection and get the thing registered...

"Running" is a relative term.

-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
Lou V.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the old owner would have left any behind Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: