Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cigarette lighter wiring
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
subter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Cigarette lighter wiring Reply with quote

When I got my van the cigarette lighter socket was just loose in the glove box and it appeared as if someone tapped into it for something at one point. I'm just getting to replacing it with a more robust one and was going to locate in the dash. When I got to looking behind the dash, what I thought was just a stick on circular emblem actually appears to be some sort of light. It has two blue/white wires coming into one terminal in the back and what appears to be an empty spade sticking off the side. It obviously doesn't light up. So I'm wondering if this thing is stock or was this where the cigarette lighter originally was?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that was OEM, VW cigarette lighter outlets were different from all others, I'm thinking that they were stubbier and certainly shorter. I've removed mine and put a 12V outlet in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1971BugGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you have in that photo is the stock illumination ring that encompassed the original lighter. Someone has stuck a decal of some sort over the exposed hole where the socket used to be. I purchased this lighter from GoWesty and it is nearly identical to the original.

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4471&category_id=&category_parent_id=[url]

1971 Super Beetle
1986 Vanagon Westfalia Weekender
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
subter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1971BugGuy wrote:
What you have in that photo is the stock illumination ring that encompassed the original lighter. Someone has stuck a decal of some sort over the exposed hole where the socket used to be. I purchased this lighter from GoWesty and it is nearly identical to the original.

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4471&category_id=&category_parent_id=[url]

Thanks. That makes sense now.
berkeleyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
I believe that was OEM, VW cigarette lighter outlets were different from all others, I'm thinking that they were stubbier and certainly shorter. I've removed mine and put a 12V outlet in.

Yeah, I think I have the stock lighter outlet in my van, and the cigarette lighter charger for my GPS sticks out of it quite a bit. It still works, barely, but I need to switch it out for a more standard one.
subter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1971BugGuy wrote:

So is the one from Gowesty a normal depth for GPS, etc.?
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF GW's is OEM then it will be shorter. Local FLAP shop sells standard 12V outlets, some with snap lids, they are longer for today's appliances. If you want OEM equipment that's fine but VW's OEM (in Jetta's too) are PITAs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read the description it clearly says the it isn't OEM, they look very similar though.
The GW version is made by flosser(german company) and is the correct width and length for standard modern plug in items. I have been running one for some time and my trail GPS plug never comes out or looses contact unlike the stock version. You have to cut the wires and crimp on new connections but it is no big deal at all.
berkeleyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip on the GW lighter outlet. I like that it looks like the original.
Probably going to add that to my next order from them.
1971BugGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely NOT OEM. I have it and am very satisfied that it looks virtually identical to the original but it is longer and functions more to my liking for plugging in my cooler, GPS, cell phone charger etc. Although the element portion looks like stock, the stock element will not plug into this unit. This is a quality product.

1971 Super Beetle
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1971BugGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

subter wrote:

So is the one from Gowesty a normal depth for GPS, etc.?

In one word... YES.

1971 Super Beetle
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I compared the new GW one to my old stock, and it did not look any deeper. In fact, it hardly looked different at all. However, in terms of function, it is night and day: it holds the GPS/Cooler/Charger adapters just fine. You can even dremel the sides of the light terminal, and everything plugs in stock. I was installing it where no lighter had ever been, so I managed to make a D cutout, instead of an O cutout, and thus it does not spin in the hole.
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replacing my OE one with the GW one this evening. Now my clock and radio don't work. Fuse is fine. This is like the simplest thing i've done in two years. Evil or Very Mad
1971BugGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markz2004 wrote:
Replacing my OE one with the GW one this evening. Now my clock and radio don't work. Fuse is fine. This is like the simplest thing i've done in two years. Evil or Very Mad

Do they work if you unplug your new lighter?

1971 Super Beetle
1971BugGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just uninstalled my GoWesty lighter and installed both 12V power supply outlet and lighter from a 2000 "New Beetle" I did this because I changed all of the dash lights to red LEDs and the green GoWesty unit no longer matched. The New Beetle lighter socket is a sloppy fit for accessory plugs just as the original Vanagon lighter but the power supply has a nice tight fit and I wired it to my accessory battery. I was also able to partially cover a nasty scratch on my dash with the new lighter location. (I've filled it with brown paint and you can barely see it in outdoor lighting but the camera flash really captures it)

1971 Super Beetle
subter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are those things on either side of your shift console? I don't have those.
berkeleyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they're folding cup holders.

I've seen several vans where the owners mount OEM cup holders in that location.

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3044
1971BugGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

berkeleyjack wrote:
I think they're folding cup holders.

I've seen several vans where the owners mount OEM cup holders in that location.

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3044

Correct.

1971 Super Beetle
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1971BugGuy wrote:
markz2004 wrote:

Do they work if you unplug your new lighter?

Had it fixed shortly after posting this. Totally my fault. Rolling Eyes The GW socket works great. Holds items plugged in 10x better.
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Related question for those with the "new version" Flosser cig lighter/12v socket, as sold by both GW and VC. It has the illuminated trim ring.

What switches that trim ring light on?: is it part of the dash light circuit, controlled by the headlight switch, or switched by depressing the cig heater element?

I'm a wiring diagram dumbass but it looks like it is illuminated along with other dash lights (Bentley 97.93-94).

Reason I ask: we have several of those replacement sockets (Flosser German brand, from GW and VC same thing), but as 12v sockets only, with non-illuminated green trim ring. Including one in the dash (our van when acquired had an empty hole there). While installing another one recently, a headlamp lit it from behind and it looked pretty cool with that trim ring illuminated.

If the original cig lighter lit up with the other dash lights I would like to restore that function to our 12v socket--maybe buy the illuminated version from VC or GW and swap over the illuminated ring--dont need the cig lighter--both are made by same Flosser company. Possible?

bling it on
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: