Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

Im going to spring on a new top and Ive seen mixed reviews when I searched. Ive got three choices. Any feed back?

This is a new one on the block and got my attention.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=898853

Ive asked for direct feedback from some owners of this one

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=231069708Y

Then this looks the same as the one above for slightly less

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=941515

Im a little spinnin Rolling Eyes

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote would be for original german westfalia from the bus depot.It will fit the best.Not cheap but you get what you pay for.I would not buy anything someone has already installed.For an extra 200.00 you buy it once.
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go with the bus depot canvas. Look in my gallery to see why. I'm not impressed with the fabrication and the mistakes in it. Couldn't see what was wrong until it was installed. To make it worse, I have contacted BD about the problem and never was responded to. Embarassed I figured they would have stood behind their products a little better.

Here is the image showing the obvious flaw in the manufacture. It looks nothing like the other photos and other canvases that I have seen. It is most likely the only one like this, but it was a gift from my wife and I am still not happy it looks this way and I don't have the funds to buy a another brand new canvas.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My bus is on the left and a go westy canvas is on the far right. Middle bus has the original canvas. Notice the window shape and the lack of symmetry.

Still waiting on Bus Depot to help a loyal customer out so I can stop telling people not to buy canvases from them. hint hint.

'76 Deluxe Sage Green Westy
2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are talking apples and oranges.Your canvas is the "Bus depot"import from who knows where.I am talking about the original westfalia canvas from germany with the windows,400.00.
Collie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is mine I got from CIP....perfect fit, big ole windows....loved it...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theadmiral1000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite what others have said, I had good experience with the budget canvas from Bus Depot when I installed it on my now-sold 77 Westfalia. It is of course important to mark the corners and be careful during the installation process for the finished product to look good.
1977_L63H_P27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the budget canvas from Bus Depot just after installation.

There's ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with this product. It's the Just Kampers canvas without the international shipping. And, except for getting those little screws in the corners Razz, installation was a breeze. Peace!

1977 Westfalia P27 Green Bay Bus
you can't spell Volkswagen without SWAG
M-code Plate
Full Moon Bus Club
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
We are talking apples and oranges.Your canvas is the "Bus depot"import from who knows where.I am talking about the original westfalia canvas from germany with the windows,400.00.

I now agree with you. I didn't realize that my wife bought the BD exclusive design canvas. It still doesn't look right to me, but oh well, live and learn and buy the best canvas available next time.

'76 Deluxe Sage Green Westy
2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have some small factort to consider. Its for a 68 and I do want the og yellow color. I plan on Velvet green paint, I love the color combo.

So thats partialy why I posted the WW one and the BD. They seem to have nice looking-well built-propper colored ones. If they are made in Germany to a higher standard then all the better.

Thanks for the input so far. Anything else?

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
pjalau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another review from someone who has the same pot-top style (1970).

The one on the far right has the go westy repro, mine has the bus depot westfalia replacement. Difference in color, but on inspection, neither of us noticed a discernable difference to favor one over the other.

Ron - care to chip in?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice-thanks pjalau. Any more shots of it in action?

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been saving for this one. We are so most here in the middle of the country that even paint molds..

I like nylon as it is quick drying. They are kinda pricey, and its too early to tell if they will last 30 years, but they come in a lot of colors

From go westy
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is a new one on the block and got my attention.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=898853

This is a Chinese made product that was offered to me about six months ago. The price was right, but I passed on it after comparing one side-by-side to my budget canvas. The Chinese material was much thinner. Frankly it did not meet my standards. Given its cheap wholesale cost, I'm sure it will turn up at other vendors as well (if it hasn't already worked its way into the pipeline).

Quote:
Ive asked for direct feedback from some owners of this one
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=231069708Y

AFAIK the one Wolfsburg West sells is a U.S. made repro that is also sold by several other retailers. It is significantly better than the Chinese one. However it does not look very stock, being a rougher cotton texture with darker screens. Fit is pretty decent but tends to be a little tight. I am personally not a huge fan of it, but you could do much worse.

Quote:
Then this looks the same as the one above for slightly less
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=941515

Well, this private advertiser is saying this is our Genuine OEM German canvas, which would in fact make it different from the Wolfsburg West one. If so, he's selling it for $79 less than he paid us for it. Oddly, the picture in the ad does not look like the German canvas. Maybe it's just the lighting but the color and screens look different to me.

Quote:
Here's the budget canvas from Bus Depot just after installation... I have had good experience with the budget canvas

It's the best I've found for anywhere near the price. It's definitely the best bang-for-the-buck out there; it comes reasonably close to the OE look and quality, for less than the price of the U.S. made one. However, it is not as good as our OEM German one, which is hands-down the best you can buy. Here is a page with links to all of the various options: http://busdepot.com/details/canvas.jsp

Quote:
Don't go with the bus depot canvas. I'm not impressed with the fabrication and the mistakes in it. Couldn't see what was wrong until it was installed. To make it worse, I have contacted BD about the problem and never was responded to.

I have searched all of our Outlook files. We received no email from you about a canvas, nor can I find any record of selling you one. It's hard to tell from the picture - maybe it's the wrong canvas, maybe it's defective and was cut wrong, maybe it's installed wrong. Can you send me details by pm?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Happy Hippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone heard anything about the Hemp canvas? Good bad or ugly?

Link to one...http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3656&category_id=135&category_parent_id=[/url]
silverside61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Hippie wrote:

Link to one...http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3656&category_id=135&category_parent_id=[/url]

great. so every time you get pulled over, the police dog goes nuts and the cops disassemble your bus looking for contraband
Happy Hippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverside61 wrote:
Happy Hippie wrote:

great. so every time you get pulled over, the police dog goes nuts and the cops disassemble your bus looking for contraband

When I get pulled over for speeding?
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go polka dot, Hawaiian, or get patriotic with a stars design:

http://www.proudtopop.co.uk/poptops/index.html

http://www.proudtopop.co.uk/designs/index.html

Cool
1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it sounds like I may be dropping 4 bills to get a yellow German one?

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Hippie wrote:

You can dye the hemp ones easier.. They are whiter to begin with... thought about that too.. I got vw and Westfalia tie dye sheets from these guys, good quality, and they are pretty.

http://www.beandawgdyes.com/ (under Household stuff)
sneakyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tie dye poptop awesome!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: