Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_benjamin_effect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
the_benjamin_effect wrote:
I have no experience with BD's canvas, although I find it tough to beat GoWesty's acrylic canvas. A bit more $$, but the quality IMO is outstanding. If the original lasted almost 40 years, why not spend the $$ for top quality that will last another 40+ years?
http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=Bus&id=2510

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What in the world is that privacy cover over the front with the side screens? I freaking love that thing! someone take my money! srsly, can I buy this somewhere?, is it og? Westy? Some sewing grandma?

alman72,

I love this product! I purchased it from:
http://www.fanchers.com/
They say their website is currently down for maintenance, but I'm sure you can still call them with the provided number on the website. The item I have is called the "sun block w/ door screens" they have other types and custom sizes & colors for a wide range of years of VW's. Pricing was reasonable. The privacy it provides is amazing... way better that the inside curtain! I highly recommend it. Any questions, PM me.

Cheers!
Ben
-2000 Subaru Impreza Sport EJ22 ¼ million miles "Trusty"

International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. I.A.M. 751
International Brotherhood of Naval Flight Engineers. I.B.N.F.E. LOCAL 8251
My other ride has 18,400 horsepower!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
Very nice work, Vee Dub Nut. Do you mind if I use a couple of those pics on our site?

Wouldn't mind at all. Shoot me a PM with your email address and what photos you want, and I can send over the high resolution ones.

Thanks for the compliments, and keeping great products available to us!

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices Reply with quote

I have had the German canvas installed on my 74 in orange for a couple months now. The material is cotton, nice coloring, stretches well, and seems to breathe as expected. The zippers are solid, and the stitching is very clean. It was a hit on the pocket book at $399, but I paid for quality. When I get a chance, I snag a photo of the manufacturers tag. The front window allows for zipping open the window for breeze and sights, as well as grabbing gear in and out of the luggage rack. Bus Depot had the harder to find orange, and I wanted to keep it original, so the decision was made, and I’m very satisfied.

Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DUhFishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
notchboy wrote:
Why do I like it? The color. The large side windows. The thick canvas material. What I don't like? The way it fit the Sage Green bus? It's tighter than the Marigold bus for sure yet installed the same.

The cotton canvas Notchboy bought and the GoWesty acrylic canvas are made in the same factory and cut from the same pattern. (They are also sold by a number of other online vendors.) The only difference is the material (cotton vs acrylic). We sell the same acrylic one ourselves (for less than GoWesty, incidentally). The product quality is good and the fit is generally good for an aftermarket product. The only flaw in the fit is that some of them tend to be a bit snug around the middle, the result being that you can see the poptop lift bar knuckles sticking out (as in Notchboy's picture above). Still, for those who want an acrylic (Sunbrella) canvas, it's a solid value and a quality product.

That being said, there are good arguments for choosing cotton instead of acrylic. See http://www.busdepot.com/details/canvas/ for some of those reasons. (Plus, as Benjamin noted above, the original cotton one lasted about 40 years, so it's a proven design.) And if you're looking at a cotton canvas, I don't feel that this company's offering is a particularly good value. That's why I sell their acrylic one but not their cotton one. For the same money as their aftermarket cotton canvas, we sell the genuine OEM German one, which has a dead-on fit, a higher thread count, and a completely stock look (other than having 3 windows). For about $150 less, our BusDepot "knockoff" of the OEM one is so close to OEM that even I have a hard time telling them apart without looking at the label. So I can't see paying so much more for this particular aftermarket cotton canvas when you could have a genuine OEM one for the same money or a good OEM clone for about 40% less. Not that it's a bad product, it's just a bit expensive for what it is in my opinion. If it were $100 to $150 cheaper I'd feel differently.

What I like about the above tent is the large side windows and black screens and large rounded front window.
The photos on BD site show them being much smaller and more square on the front with lite colored screen.

If I can be assured that the one from accelerated supply is like the photo in this quote. That is the one I want to go with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUhFishman wrote:
Busdepot wrote:
notchboy wrote:
Why do I like it? The color. The large side windows. The thick canvas material. What I don't like? The way it fit the Sage Green bus? It's tighter than the Marigold bus for sure yet installed the same.

The cotton canvas Notchboy bought and the GoWesty acrylic canvas are made in the same factory and cut from the same pattern. (They are also sold by a number of other online vendors.) The only difference is the material (cotton vs acrylic). We sell the same acrylic one ourselves (for less than GoWesty, incidentally). The product quality is good and the fit is generally good for an aftermarket product. The only flaw in the fit is that some of them tend to be a bit snug around the middle, the result being that you can see the poptop lift bar knuckles sticking out (as in Notchboy's picture above). Still, for those who want an acrylic (Sunbrella) canvas, it's a solid value and a quality product.

That being said, there are good arguments for choosing cotton instead of acrylic. See http://www.busdepot.com/details/canvas/ for some of those reasons. (Plus, as Benjamin noted above, the original cotton one lasted about 40 years, so it's a proven design.) And if you're looking at a cotton canvas, I don't feel that this company's offering is a particularly good value. That's why I sell their acrylic one but not their cotton one. For the same money as their aftermarket cotton canvas, we sell the genuine OEM German one, which has a dead-on fit, a higher thread count, and a completely stock look (other than having 3 windows). For about $150 less, our BusDepot "knockoff" of the OEM one is so close to OEM that even I have a hard time telling them apart without looking at the label. So I can't see paying so much more for this particular aftermarket cotton canvas when you could have a genuine OEM one for the same money or a good OEM clone for about 40% less. Not that it's a bad product, it's just a bit expensive for what it is in my opinion. If it were $100 to $150 cheaper I'd feel differently.

What I like about the above tent is the large side windows and black screens and large rounded front window.
The photos on BD site show them being much smaller and more square on the front with lite colored screen.

If I can be assured that the one from accelerated supply is like the photo in this quote. That is the one I want to go with.

The funny part of the tent install on that sage green was that if I had done it wrong, the fit would not be as tight. I need to ask my friend if the canvas has slacked a bit.

Shots of the same manufacture on my 77. Its almost to loose.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
poptop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

Hi guys , I'm about to order a replacement canvas for a solid 72 westy project. I did a bunch of searching to find the cheapest replacement canvas that's decent and figured I'd ask if anyone has one they didn't use or a discount provider for them? It's for a resale project that I'm getting a tad to deep into. Figured I'd ask around to see if anyone has anything they aren't using. Thanks a bunch poptop . Also if anyone interested in a solid westy project hit me up. Needs some cosmetics but all structural metal work is currently being addressed
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

I have that same BD canvas top on my 78. I like the large windows, you can lay in the top bunk and watch the fire coals without raising your head much. The down side is that the heavy duty canvas is thicker and a little bulkier. So it is harder to fully tuck it under the roof when packing up.

The German OEM canvas is really nice, I used it on my Vanagon. Fits like a glove, tucks easily. I installed this one in 2006, still like new. Smaller side windows, but both my OG canvases did not have side windows, so a nice upgrade. I have the German OEM canvas ready to go in my 78 this coming Fall and will be selling the used BD canvas cheap. It has been on the bus since 1999 and has held up really well.

I don't see a reason to use nylon if the thin canvas lasts 15-20 years easily. Same with hemp unless you want to make a statement.

Just a regular guy
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

The "German" canvas that purveyors pass off as original German Vw is actually made by Adam at NLA VWParts. Along with the correct Westy Seat material and curtain fabric. Do not be fooled otherwise.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

Quote:
The "German" canvas that purveyors pass off as original German Vw is actually made by Adam at NLA VWParts.

Hoody, I can't speak for other purveyors but the OEM German canvas that we sell does not come from NLA VW. It is a completely different canvas, and comes from the factory in Germany that supplied Westfalia. If other vendors are selling the NLA VW canvas as German VW canvas as you say I am not aware of that, but if so it would be a misrepresentation, as the NLA VW canvas is neither OEM nor German.

Quote:

I have that same BD canvas top on my 78. I like the large windows, you can lay in the top bunk and watch the fire coals without raising your head much. The down side is that the heavy duty canvas is thicker and a little bulkier. So it is harder to fully tuck it under the roof when packing up.

The German OEM canvas is really nice, I used it on my Vanagon. Fits like a glove, tucks easily. I installed this one in 2006, still like new. Smaller side windows, but both my OG canvases did not have side windows, so a nice upgrade. I have the German OEM canvas ready to go in my 78 this coming Fall and will be selling the used BD canvas cheap.

Otiswesty, the thicker canvas top that you are referencing in your first paragraph above is not the BusDepot canvas. It is the U.S. made aftermarket canvas that I referenced earlier in this thread. If you bought it from us many years ago that could explain the confusion, because long ago we did offer it before we started making our own. Our current BusDepot canvas is nearly an exact clone of the German OEM one you mentioned in your second paragraph above. Side by side even I have a hard time telling our BusDepot clone from the OEM German one except that we made our side windows a little bigger.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
.....Our current BusDepot canvas is nearly an exact clone of the German OEM.........Side by side even I have a hard time telling our BusDepot clone from the OEM German one except that we made our side windows a little bigger.

You're referring to the currently made OEM German canvas and not the original canvas, yes? Because the original canvas never had side windows as I am sure you knew.

Do you make a correct original canvas with no side windows, tan colored screen like original, with the correct rounded sideways 'D' shape and not that horrible squared off sideways "D" shape, tan colored zipper like original and tan colored piping on the bottom where the staples gone through like original? I bought one of those, that If memory serves me right was actually an NOS one, from you about 13 years ago and I would love to get another.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

Yes, you are correct, I am referring to the currently made OEM canvas. Current production has three windows, and the front window is more squared off. The front window design was updated by Westfalia in 1989 on Vanagon campers in production at the time, and was then incorporated into replacement canvas for prior years as well. The zipper-only configuration of the original was changed to a zipper-and-velcro one. Westfalia considered this an improvement for two reasons. First, you can leave the window open in any position by unzipping the top zipper and then using the velcro on the sides to open it as much as you like. Second, you can remove the screen and window entirely, so if you rip it (get it caught in the latch or while reaching into the luggage rack) you can replace it without having to buy a whole new canvas.

Our BusDepot clone has the same three windows and the same upgraded front window configuration, except we made the side windows slightly larger.

We can special order a one-window OEM German canvas for you if you're not in a hurry (it takes about 8-12 weeks). There is little or no cost savings compared to the 3-window one, and much worse ventilation. The front window will still be the later design. In 25 years or so in business I believe we've sold exactly one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wdollie6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

Yesterday I finally had the opportunity to finish the install of my 2015 purchased Bus Depot canvas top and was pleasantly surprised at the quality and the install (this was the Bus Depot mfg. version). Note that I installed the canvas to the fiberglass top two years ago but hadn't had a chance to screw to the bus. Even after several inadvertent pokes with a slipping screwdriver the canvas held up fine. Thanks Ron.

I will say that wasn't my idea of a relaxing Sunday as this was almost as challenging as putting the convertible top on my 72 Super. With a few choice words, some extra effort got everything to line up (corners are challenging, I have a 90 degree ratcheting screwdriver which helped) and installed with no damage to the top at all. That being said I can't raise the top all the way in my garage so don't know how tight it is as of yet.

I am missing about 10 of the little screws that hold the top in place, anyone know the size or where I can find these?

Once I can get the bus outside will take some photos, I am hopeful that fully extended everything will be tight, but not overly.
1972 Westy, Sierra Yellow
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

Here is the German one I bought. It looks exactly the same as the original three window tent that was on my 1974 Westfalia deluxe. I bought this in 2009.

Just a regular guy
gatheringgrounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

Great discussion about the merits of the various Westy replacements out there. Does anyone want to share their opinions, photos, install lessons, etc... regarding their experiences replacing a Riviera tent?
I have recently taken on a frankenstein '73 project. I bought it from the original owners grandson. As the story goes; his grandfather bought it new in Germany as a tin top Westy, toured around Europe than brought it to the US. At some point a Riviera top was installed. It is a bit of a mess. The top itself is cracked in several places. I was thinking of taking it to a local body shop to see what it would cost for them to fix it up and make it purdy again. The tent that was on it was a thick plastic feeling thing in bad shape, so it too needs to be replaced. Any thoughts?

Kent
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

Search for some threads on pop-top fix up. Most of the info will be applicable to you (I presume yours is fiberglass too) even though almost all of it was written about Westy tops.

Mine had a crack in the rear corner. I repaired it with a Bondo brand fiberglass repair kit. I did not try to close the crack, but rather filled it with some of the fabric and resin (I think I cut up the fibers and mixed them in the resin for the filler), and then a layer of fabric and resin on the outside and inside.

After that, I sanded it all down and painted the top with Topsides paint.

That project was done in late July I think, and the crack has not shown any signs of returning yet. The repair seemed very strong. I was able to do it with the top on the bus (did remove the luggage rack), but if yours is pretty bad and/or the fabric is pretty bad, it might be worthwhile to just remove it.

My canvas is serviceable, but the screen is getting a little ratty and the canvas has torn on one side. The rubber was long gone for a long time, and the canvas poked out under the top for several months I guess and where the fold was poking out, it rotted. The Gorilla Tape is holding it together pretty well right now but who knows how long that'll be true.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

gatheringgrounds wrote:
Does anyone want to share their opinions, photos, install lessons, etc... regarding their experiences replacing a Riviera tent?

Well if you get your poptop fixed up, we sell the replacement Riviera tent from the original factory:
http://www.busdepot.com/180002
gatheringgrounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks Ron,
I was just up in Portland/Vancouver and tried to look up ASI but they know longer seem to exist. I noticed on your site that you offer it in white or yellow canvas. Is this an actual cotton canvas or is it similar to the heavy plastic feeling tent I currently have? Is it similar to the material used on a west tent? Do you have any other pictures aside from the one on your sight and do you offer instructions for the installation as well? Would it be possible to get a swatch of the fabric?
Has anyone else had any experiences with the riviera tents?

Kent
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

gatheringgrounds wrote:
Thanks Ron,
I was just up in Portland/Vancouver and tried to look up ASI but they know longer seem to exist. I noticed on your site that you offer it in white or yellow canvas. Is this an actual cotton canvas or is it similar to the heavy plastic feeling tent I currently have? Is it similar to the material used on a west tent? Do you have any other pictures aside from the one on your sight and do you offer instructions for the installation as well? Would it be possible to get a swatch of the fabric?

ASI is long gone but the fellow who made their roof tents still makes these for us. It is a synthetic material like the original, not cotton. Sorry, we do not have any fabric swatches available nor does it come with instructions. I have been told that due to its simpler rectangular shape installation is a bit more straightforward than on a Westy, but have never tackled one myself.
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

I've been through this thread a couple times over the years...

It looks like the company that used to supply the tops with the big windows is no longer making them?

I want a top with the HUGE side windows. and I would also prefer the black screens. I've made a LOT of my own backpacking shelters. Black screens are better.

Does anyone know who still sells this style? I'd like tan/beige and it's for a front hinged 68.

M&T's picture looks promising. Anyone install one of their tops?
http://www.mtmfg.com/vw/2227/Volkswagen-Bus-Vanagon-Pop-Top

Jbugs doesn't have any pictures, but their drawing shows a large window too.
https://www.jbugs.com/product/231-702.html

I'm far less concerned with staying original. While I am cost conscious, I am OK spending a little more to get the style I want.

Thanks in advance for any feedback Smile

My 1968 Campmobile
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top Canvas Choices FAQ Reply with quote

I can help you with that. Shoot an email ATTN: RON to [email protected].
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: