Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turbo!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turb Reply with quote

Well my loom (that has been built just for Limey) has been built and is on it's way to me, due to arrive next week.

The misfire has been getting progressively worse. It's heat based as well as boost. When cold, it's possible to use full throttle (although I don't tend to do it as I like the oil temp being atleast 60oC so that it protects the engine) and within traffic (where the radiator fan is regularly kicking in), it's now spluttering away from tick over and you can't get much above 6-8 psi without the misfire.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turb Reply with quote

Coils now ordered also Very Happy

MG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turb Reply with quote

Well... just over 4,000 miles and the latest gearbox is misbehaving already Rolling Eyes

4th gear has jumped out a few times but not under power... on lift off. But it's not every time!

There's no noise, no crunching or whining etc.

This gearbox has the 22S bearing housing in it with the retaining plate so exactly what has happened as to why it's jumping out is a mystery.

Currently this is my only running (legal) vehicle so it'll have to hold together until my Lupo finally (I hate DVLA AGAIN!!!) gets it's registration number.

MG
soundmasterg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turb Reply with quote

Is that VW trans?

Swap in the Subaru 5MT from Subarugears and it should solve the issues.

Greg
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turb Reply with quote

soundmasterg wrote:
Is that VW trans?

Greg

That has to be one of the most ill thought out, stupid and single minded comments I've ever seen on this forum.

Go away, think about what you wrote, do some research (even a little would be sufficient!) and when you've realised why it's so stupid, reply again... If you have anything helpful to contribute.

MG
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turb Reply with quote

SyncroGhia wrote:
soundmasterg wrote:
Is that VW trans?

Greg

That has to be one of the most ill thought out, stupid and single minded comments I've ever seen on this forum.

Go away, think about what you wrote, do some research (even a little would be sufficient!) and when you've realised why it's so stupid, reply again... If you have anything helpful to contribute.

MG

Just got back from the Friendsgiving dinner, inebriated of course, and this made me laugh so hard!! I'm gonna sleep tight Laughing
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turb Reply with quote

Hi Martin:

How about a Corvair transaxle? I hear they're quite strong. (Joking of course.)

We have an URS4/URS6 brotherhood here in western Canada (BC and Alberta) and many have found that the 1.8T coil packs, although cheaper than the factory AAN units, don't last as long as the factory COP units. In the end, the cost over time is about equal. I must admit that the 1.8T and TFSI coils look pretty cool.

My URS4 and wife's URS6 both have a clever factory-issue insulated heat shield right over the waste gate actuator. You are fortunate that your engine lid stayed intact!

Keep up the great work. We enjoy your thread!
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turb Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
Hi Martin:

Careful...you'll be the next to get slapped. It's Michael.

RonC
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turb Reply with quote

So I've sold the Audi S6 Plus alloys and just fitted some 17 inch steel wheels.

They don't look bad with the Syncro 16 centre cap...

They fit over the large brakes...

And look almost factory.

I'm running 235/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler tyres but plan on upgrading to 245/70R17s once they're worn out.

The wheels are Mercedes Vito 17 x 6.5J, ET50. I already run long studs so 20mm spacers gives an ET30, perfect for a Syncro. Also, the centre is 66.6mm (although this is fairly irrelevant as the spigot is only 10mm deep).

I'm tempted to have them banded out to 7.5" giving an ET24.6mm.

A question for T3 Syncro owners... how big is the fuel tank? I don't mean, what does the book say, I know that that is 70 litres. I reguarly fill up getting over 70 litres into a tank but today I managed almost 75 litres despite having driven to the petrol station.

MG
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turb Reply with quote

I almost forgot, my 7A cam cover has turned up Very Happy

I'm not favouring the conversion kit atm but we'll see what happens.

MG
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turbo! Reply with quote

Well it's been a day of sitting around waiting for my body to recover from illness so I actually have time to sit down and write!

Limey is still doing fairly well atm.

I've come to the realisation that the misfiring is detonation and the ECU is backing off the ignition etc to save the engine. Good thing too!

The guys on the S2 forum are helping me to work my way through how to address this issue.

I've realised that the fuel pump isn't up to spec (not able to flow enough) and that the fuel that I've been running it on isn't high enough octane for the tune.

Working (currently at any rate) in the aviation industry means that from time to time, I've got access to AvGas, 100 Octane fuel Very Happy

Limey is running a lot better on this and I'm able to get around 20 psi boost before detonation.

I'm now looking at bigger injectors, a re-tune of the ECU and more checks on the boost system.

In other news... I've decided that it's time to upgrade tyre size again.

The 6.17 final drive, even with a 0.70 4th gear, isn't giving me as nice a cruising speed vs rpm as I'd like.

I've been looking at fitting 235/85R16 BF Goodrich A/Ts for a while and bought one recently to trial fit.

MG
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turbo! Reply with quote

So... one Mercedes steel wheel (16 x 7, ET33) that I had kicking around and a 235/85R16 BF Goodrich A/T later...

I need to move the front edge of the B-pillar back a bit to clear the tyre but that's all.

I'll slice a section off the jacking point and bend the sheet metal back to suit.

Oh, the test was carried out without a propshaft on so no VC's were harmed in the testing of this setup Razz

Now that I'm happy that they'll fit, I've collected together a set of 5 and I'll be transfering them over onto the Audi Winter wheels.

MG
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turbo! Reply with quote

What about clearance with the rear trailing arms?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turbo! Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
What about clearance with the rear trailing arms?

It's close but clears... just Wink

I'll put up some photos when I bolt them on.

I'm going to be changing the front uprights again shortly to use standard length studs and bolt on spacers rather than slide on spacers.

The original Syncro 16 steel wheels will fit with a 25mm spacer. Not ideal re offset but hey, it works.

I'll be using the same 25mm spacers for the Audi winter wheels as well.

That's got to be done before I drive Strata Florida over Easter.

MG
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turbo! Reply with quote

Nice work! Those are some really really big tires for these vans

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
hrtm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SyncroGhia wrote:

Golly - I hate to take this thread back nearly 6 years but I just had to ask what is the story with this external pop top insulator? Was this commercially available once upon a time or a custom one-of-a-kind fabrication?
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrtm wrote:
SyncroGhia wrote:

Golly - I hate to take this thread back nearly 6 years but I just had to ask what is the story with this external pop top insulator? Was this commercially available once upon a time or a custom one-of-a-kind fabrication?

The screen that I had was an original Westfalia. There are aftermarket copies available of it now. I think that Brickwerks sell them in the UK but I wouldn't know about the US.

MG
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turbo! Reply with quote

235/85R16 A/Ts fitted Very Happy

MG
nmerrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turbo! Reply with quote

Damn!
Them's big.
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turbo! Reply with quote

nmerrill wrote:
Damn!
Them's big.

Wink

I may need to lift Limey a little more. I still have some room to go up a bit along with some new mods to get more suspension travel.

MG
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 44 of 47

Jump to: