Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turbo!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turbo! Reply with quote

Price dropped to £35,000.

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turbo! Reply with quote

Small update,

I've picked up a second hand K&N Apollo which I'll fit (at some point) and connect up to the original Snorkel so that the engine gets a feed of cold air.

I didn't realise until last night that the snorkel pipe is actually 3" inside diameter... not bad Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It came without the end section which is just a reducer from 4" to 3"... as they're not actually sealed I figured that I'd be better without anyway and bought a 4" to 3" Samco 90 2nd hand on ebay for 99p plus post!

MG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turbo! Reply with quote

Short update....

As expected the gearbox is now due a rebuild.

It's been in there since 2012 and handled a fair amount of abuse from the S6 engine. 5 years isn't bad really.

Oh... I just checked the mileage. It's done 20,000 miles in that time. Smile

I'll be replacing the current 6.17s with 5.83 final drive ratios and maybe looking at Swepco 210 oil if I can get any in the country.

MG
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turbo! Reply with quote

Long over due update!

I've sold the Audi winter Fuchs (yes they're made by Fuchs!) alloys and 235/85R16 tyres and I'm going back to original Syncro 16" steel wheels with 215/85R16 tyres.

Here's a link to the data on the Audi Fuchs wheels in case anyone wants it.

http://www.fuchsfelge.de/index.php?id=840&L=1

The extra weight and overall diameter isn't worth the extra strain on the gearbox... which I'm also replacing!

I picked up a set of 6x OE 16" wheels over Christmas which popped up on ebay locally and it took all of a nano-second before I pressed 'Buy it now!'

I'm finally getting around to using the 215/85R16 tyres that I collected many moons ago.

The replacement gearbox is coming together slowly (it takes a bit longer these days as my family take up most of my time Smile ) but will be based on 5.83:1 final drive rather than 6.17s.

A couple of reasons for this. The van can take a little more gearing (it's been ok on the 235s) and I need the 6.17s for the 6x6!

The gearbox casing is receiving the normal upgrades. Oiling plates, bearing retaining plates and this one will have an oil temp sender in it, in the same way as the first gearbox did and I'll run a dedicated gearbox oil temp gauge on the dash. I'm also tempted to run a second oil temp sender next to the sump plug in the bell-housing and a switch next to it so that I can flick between the two. Then I can monitor the oil temp from the cluster and from the crown/pinion housings individually.

I've tapped the gearbox for M14 x 1.5 and used a spare Cayenne wheel bolt that I had kicking around. Drilled that and tapped it to M10 x 1 (made my own insert) and lock-tighted it in!

Oh, I cleaned up the end of the insert in the lathe (yes I now have a nice small Myford ML7 which needed a new home Very Happy

It's very handy Wink

And the oiling plates fitting work is done.

Next they went outside for a jetwash and then into the dishwasher (the workshop one... not in the kitchen!) for a final wash.

More as I move along with it but I'm tempted to paint the gearbox casings just to help against corrosion. We'll see. I might leave them and use Tectyl instead.

While all of this is going on... I'm heading towards having the engine rolling road tuned and with this in mind, I'm re-gigging the exhaust system.

I'm aiming for 300bhp/300ftlbs and I have been warned by those in the know that the original 2.5" downpipe may hold things back a bit.

As the exhaust has always been a bit too loud (it rattles the windows in the house at idle!) I'd decided that rather than running 2x 2.5" silencers in parallel, I'm going up to 3" throughout and I'll run 2x silencers in series.

The first will probably be a 2-into-1 and I'll put a valve on the single outlet so that under 70% throttle, the exhaust flow goes 180° and back out of the other 3" just below the inlet and then over to a second silencer. Above 70% throttle, the valve will open and it'll be straight through Twisted Evil

We'll see how it goes!

This is the new down-pipe.

This is what I have in mind for the exhaust... maybe boost sensitive although I'm sure that the one in the video is vacuum sensitive.

[youtube]
Link
[/youtube]

That's all for now...

MG

Last edited by SyncroGhia on Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turbo! Reply with quote

Take care about the length of the sensor in the main housing.
Use a short one.
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turbo! Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:
Take care about the length of the sensor in the main housing.
Use a short one.

Thanks. I've purposefully bought the longer one as I want the tip to sit into the gearbox oil.

The casing is 21mm thick where I'm fitting it but I'll be testing carefully to ensure that there is enough clearance between 1st gear and the sensor.

I used the short one last time and the sensor stops half way inside the hole.

EDIT: I've just measured the new longer oil temp sender and it should work perfectly... just sticking 1mm or so out of the hole and into the oil.

MG
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turbo! Reply with quote

After a lot of cleaning and some paint...

All parts were cleaned thoroughly, the main cases in thinners and then the dish washer. The smaller parts were cleaned in thinners followed by brake cleaner and the lot blown through with compressed air.

I'll say this now... I'm anything but a painter Wink

I've used brake caliper paint to try to help with temperatures.

After putting the cases through the dish washer, they are so clean and sterile that everything starts to corrode instantly, so I knew that I'd have to put something on to them. It was either going to be paint or some form of underseal. I chose the former.

I did some checking of the mesh pattern with just the pinion shaft and a fresh pinion bearing the old fashioned way... with engineers blue!

[img]http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv264/performanceghia/Limey/27750580_2124473604453031_3524710794057543672_n_zpschm1dfbe.jpg
[/img]

Now it's time to pull the old gearbox out and slip this one in.

The spec is:

5.83:1 Final drive
Standard G, Reverse and 1st gears.
2nd = 1.88:1 (V)
3rd = 1.14:1 (Albins)
4th = 0.70:1 (Albins)
SA oiling plates
Mainshaft bearing retaining plate
Oil temp sensors (x3)
Morris XFS 80W140 Oil
Diff-lock and Stefan decoupler
Factory 'heavy' main case and bearing case (heavier aluminium content).

MG
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turbo! Reply with quote

New exhaust system update:

With the new down-pipe (which will probably get chopped right after the wastegate tube!) I've ordered a couple of one-off silencers from 304 Stainless.

They are

1) 10" x 5" Box, 12" long. 3" single to 3" twin.
2) 10" x 5" Box. 12" long. 3" Single in/out offset.

I'll put up pics once they arrive.

They're the same outer size as the current ones so I can keep the location and mounting hardware but they'll flow more.

Here's a quick exhaust sizing chart that I found on the net.

http://www.exhaustvideos.com/faq/how-to-calculate-muffler-size-pipe-diameter/

I'm now looking for 3" stainless steel exhaust doughnuts.

Once again, nobody within the UK seems to stock these (I had this problem when making the original exhaust for the 2.5TDi many years ago) so they'll probably have to come from the US or Australia.

I'll be adding another lambda sensor boss into the down-pipe for my Innovate wide-band kit so that I can see what's going on.

I now have a set of larger fuel injectors, RS2 exhaust manifold and the latest piece to be in the post is....

An RS2 Turbocharger... A K24 7200 Twisted Evil

This will bolt up to everything else with very little needed in terms of mods and ensure that there isn't a component which will hold back the engine when tuning starts.

I need an uprated fuel pressure regulator now and I think that I'm about there.

By the time that I've finished it, the engine should be capable of being on a par with an RS2 motor which there only being smaller internal differences like camshaft duration/lift which I'm not going to do. I don't want a screaming engine... but a good amount of torque low down.

Then the re-build starts.

MG
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turbo! Reply with quote

So the gearbox is in and working well.

I had a nice journey up to Dubfreeze to sell some of the excess parts that I seem to have accumulated over the years. Amazing how this happens!

The journey there and back was done at 60mph. Engine oil temps were 110-115°C but no more.

I didn't have time to rig up the new gearbox oil temp gauge. I wish that I had though. Next time!

I'd forgotten how much hard work is swapping the gearbox over...

The old 6.17 isn't very happy Sad

It's dead Crying or Very sad

So... now I need another 6.17 crown and pinion as this one was destined for the T3 6x6!

Does anyone have a 6.17 Syncro crown and pinion for sale please?

MG
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turbo! Reply with quote

Well this roof cage has been a long time coming but finally I found someone willing to take on the challenge of welding all of my work onto the van!!

Take a bow, David Cooksey!

The full story and build up in in the roof thread as I figured that would make more sense.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=480815

MG
Comando Guanabana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turbo! Reply with quote

Hi MG! I've been several years following this post from time to time. Limey is one of my favourite syncros around, congratulations for the job!
I love the colour, is it original? Do you know the colour code?
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turbo! Reply with quote

Comando Guanabana wrote:
Hi MG! I've been several years following this post from time to time. Limey is one of my favourite syncros around, congratulations for the job!
I love the colour, is it original? Do you know the colour code?

Thank you Smile

Funnily enough the colour is something that I was never that fond of and have always planned on changing it but haven't had the time or the funds at the right time to get it happen.

The colour is original and is VW Lichtgrau (Light Grey) with paint code L345.

The majority of the paint on Limey is original. Only where I've added panels as necessary has been painted.

MG
Comando Guanabana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turbo! Reply with quote

haha, my case is the oposite! I'm planning to change my original L91 Pastelweiss for the L345.
I've never seen a T3 in this colour, maybe it was only for the syncro 16??
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turbo! Reply with quote

Comando Guanabana wrote:
haha, my case is the oposite! I'm planning to change my original L91 Pastelweiss for the L345.
I've never seen a T3 in this colour, maybe it was only for the syncro 16??

It is all about personal taste Smile

L345 is on a few T3 Syncros, not just 16" but it is not that common but it is on other VW Transporters also... just type in VW L345 to Google Images and you will see Wink

MG
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turbo! Reply with quote

Due to impending divorce, custody, financial etc court cases and solicitors fees, Limey is now for sale for £20,000

This time it has to go as I have to buy a house.

I'd love to keep it but I can't.

I won't be removing it from sale again now.

MG

Last edited by SyncroGhia on Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:17 am; edited 2 times in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turbo! Reply with quote

SyncroGhia wrote:
Due to impending divorce, custody, financial etc court cases and solicitors fees, Limey is now for sale for £15,000.

MG

Shocked Crying or Very sad

Sorry life has thrown a bad time your way.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
fleet_maintenance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turbo! Reply with quote

SyncroGhia wrote:
Due to impending divorce, custody, financial etc court cases and solicitors fees, Limey is now for sale for £15,000.

MG

Sorry to read this. In times like these I have to remind myself that "this too shall pass". Good luck.
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turbo! Reply with quote

Up for sale and this time it goes.

£20,000 as I need to buy a house/court fees.

No mega rush as last time hence a more sensible price.

MG
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turbo! Reply with quote

Limey is Sold and gone.

MG
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Limey, The Syncro 16 Westy. Was 2.5TDi, Now 2.2 20V Turbo! Reply with quote

SyncroGhia wrote:
Limey is Sold and gone.

MG

Mmm. I'm very sorry for your losses.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 46 of 47

Jump to: