Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turn signal housing loose on a 1969
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bustalgic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Turn signal housing loose on a 1969 Reply with quote

The cup-like "retainer for turn signal switch" is loose enough that it slips down the support bracket to the point that the canceling ring is not engaged. It also revolves too much when trying to operate the turn signal lever. I have to hold the whole housing when I operate the lever so it does not revolve. It often has revolved enough that it is not properly aligned for the canceling ring to work. I've disassembled it enough to see it appears to be just a friction fit against the insulating washer on the bracket. Is there a proper fix? I've seen someone place a radiator hose clamp around the retainer, but would rather not. HELP!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, the first thing you need to do is remove everything and straighten out the C shaped piece of steel that goes in the non switch side of the housing slightly, it's always bent too much, careful though, just a little squish in a vice or it won't go back into the housing. Now get yourself 3-4" of emory cloth and fold it in half lengthwise (gritty side out), wrap it around the column where the switch and the clamp you just straightened touches. You'll want to use locktite on the screws that hold the switch into the housing and give the switch a lube inside too, now put everything back together and gently tighten the screws holding the housing together, you may want to leave a tiny gap between the two and retighten it later if it starts to get loose.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Bustalgic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is all back together and working well. Thanks for your prompt help.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: canceling ring and turn signal repairs Reply with quote

canceling ring?

Is there such a thing as a canceling ring on a '69?
My camper's turn signal has never canceled in the thirty years that I've owned it. I've always canceled the turn signal manually. I always thought it was something you had to do yourself, like oil changes and valve adjustments.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's some impressive zip tie work there!

Yes, all busses have self cancelling signals, if your switch was 2mm (or whatever dimension Bentley states) away from the bottom of the steering wheel it likely would cancel too. Follow the same procedure I just described for Bustalgic and see what magically happens, bet you could ditch the zip ties as well Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind-a like the ball of wire's in the photo. Shocked the steering wheel is as busdaddy said to far from the turn switch for them to cancel. I think them zip ties will be in the way. I have seen as far as the housing not clamping enuff to the steering colum I have found where those C shaped piece's go in the housing thay have pushed into the housing and can't clamp anymore. I have tryed to fix them but found the only good way was to get another housing. Say busdaddy I like that repair idea I will have to try that sometime.
Bisbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great instructions; thank you. I couldn't find any emory cloth locally, but I have some 4" adhesive sanding disks, so I cut a 4" strip out of the middle of one and wrapped it around the steering column (wipe off the grease, first) where the switch clamps into place, and put it all back together. Snug as a bug. Er...bus.
cheftaylor74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal housing loose on a 1969 Reply with quote

Quote:
Welcome, the first thing you need to do is remove everything and straighten out the C shaped piece of steel that goes in the non switch side of the housing slightly, it's always bent too much, careful though, just a little squish in a vice or it won't go back into the housing. Now get yourself 3-4" of emory cloth and fold it in half lengthwise (gritty side out), wrap it around the column where the switch and the clamp you just straightened touches. You'll want to use locktite on the screws that hold the switch into the housing and give the switch a lube inside too, now put everything back together and gently tighten the screws holding the housing together, you may want to leave a tiny gap between the two and retighten it later if it starts to get loose.

@busdaddy - when you do this on a 74 do you need to pull the steering wheel or can it be done leaving it on?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal housing loose on a 1969 Reply with quote

Leave it on.

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal housing loose on a 1969 Reply with quote

1974 is completely different than the early housing.
The housing is clamped on with an anti-tamper proof bolt as follows
thnx to mayor ratwell

Steering Column & More
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/SteeringColumn.html#lockhousing
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal housing loose on a 1969 Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

Depends on the 74, early ones had signal and wiper switches like a 73, mid year they changed to the later column and housing. I assume since it's spinning it's the early one since the later one can't spin even if the bolt falls out.

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Turn signal housing Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Tcash wrote:

Depends on the 74, early ones had signal and wiper switches like a 73, mid year they changed to the later column and housing. I assume since it's spinning it's the early one since the later one can't spin even if the bolt falls out.

Thanks again for keeping me honest BD.

1968-72 style, two piece clamp is circled in red.

211 953 509 H VW Bus turn signal switch 73-74
From 2132 000 001 to 2142 164 059

211 953 513 K SWF T2 Turn Signal Switch 1974-79
Split housing with anti tamper bolt.
From chassis 2142 164 060

Tcash
cheftaylor74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal housing loose on a 1969 Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Mine appears to be like the 73. Will tackle tomorrow.
plywoodkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal housing loose on a 1969 Reply with quote

Bus Daddy,

Should the C clamp sit on the left side of the wheel when the wheel is installed straight?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal housing Reply with quote

It should be on the left regardless of where the steering wheel is.
Tcash wrote:

Слава Україні!
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal housing Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

That screw is slipping on my '78 DC. I tighten it, but the whole turn signal housing keeps slipping down the steering column, and it does not have to go far before the turn signals no longer self-cancel. I'm thinking I need to replace the screw...

I am wondering if the screw I removed is original. It certainly is odd. It looks to be a self-tapping M8 with a sort of shoulder on it, and head that is hex head with a large slot through it. Is that what the original looked like, and should I replace it? Or is the problem somewhere else, like the interfacial surface between the "clamp" and the steering column?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal housing Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Tcash wrote:

That screw is slipping on my '78 DC. I tighten it, but the whole turn signal housing keeps slipping down the steering column, and it does not have to go far before the turn signals no longer self-cancel. I'm thinking I need to replace the screw...

I am wondering if the screw I removed is original. It certainly is odd. It looks to be a self-tapping M8 with a sort of shoulder on it, and head that is hex head with a large slot through it. Is that what the original looked like, and should I replace it? Or is the problem somewhere else, like the interfacial surface between the "clamp" and the steering column?

The OG screw has a cone shaped head with a hole in it, before it was installed at the factory it had more of a head with something for a wrench to grab, when torqued up that part broke off leaving the "anti theft" cone head on it. The common fix when they get loose is to saw a slot into it, but to enable serious torque replace it with a new hex drive bolt.
If it's still slipping you may have to add some shim stock between the layers of the clamp, if it's been loose alot it may have worn things down, a bit of beer can would likely be enough.

Слава Україні!
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal housing loose on a 1969 Reply with quote

That's right, now that you remind me -- it was a sheared off bolt originally. So the one that was in there, odd as it was, was not original.

I got a nice allen head M8 x 1.25 25 mm bolt that fit nicely. We'll see if it stops slipping now!
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: