Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CLK wheels with MBZ/caps What spacers w/ 215x60x16" H
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
surf760
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: CLK wheels with MBZ/caps What spacers w/ 215x60x16" H Reply with quote

Does anyone have the 16X7 CLK wheels with spacers and stock MBZ caps?
(non syncro)
What size spacer do you have on the front? do they clear the caps?
What size spacer on the rear? do they clear the caps

What hardwear do you use-front and rear lengths?

Thanks
SURF760

Last edited by surf760 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels with MBZ/caps What spacers w/ 215x60x16" Reply with quote

surf760 wrote:
Does anyone have the CLK wheels with spacers and stock MBZ caps?
(non syncro)
What size spacer do you have on the front? do they clear the caps?
What size spacer on the rear? do they clear the caps

What hardwear do you use-front and rear lengths?

Thanks
SURF760

It would be difficult to answer your question accurately w/o knowing which CLK wheels you have. I assume you are referring to aluminum alloys. They came cast or forged. The mounting pad thickness varies so important to know which you have. There were also different offsets available.

I don't want to discount the possibility either that you might be referring to the steel wheels available in other markets because you wrote "caps" not 'hub caps' or 'center caps'.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if folks are aware that a CLK is an entire class of Mercedes vehicles, not a type of rim. These probably came with at least a dozen or more rims of various sizes.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same guy:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466848&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi wrote:
Same guy:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466848&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Thanks, I'm done here. Rolling Eyes
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did Loogy say when you asked him.......?
surf760
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry guys, I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Here is the original subject:
CLK wheels with MBZ/caps What spacers w/ 215x60x16"

The "CLK" wheels in question are 16X7 ET37 98-99 Mercedes CLK320
I am currently looking for an OEM part #

See picture

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Heres the problem, it seems a lot of guys have advice, but many are not running the same. Some guys giving advice and they don't even know what they have.

Loggy who has been very helpful offered some advice but didn't disclose a spacer size.

Still hoping for someone that actually is running them on a 2 wd Vanagon with 215x60x16's and know what spacers knows what hardwear they have with this same set up.

If you have a lifted Syncro with monster tires, oval window or 67 mustang and have not used them, doesn't help me a whole lot.

**Thank you to those that are trying to be helpful. Very Happy

Last edited by surf760 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surf760 wrote:
I am sorry guys I didn't mean to offend anyone.

The "CLK" wheels in question are the 16X7 ET37 98-99 Mercedes CLK320
I am currently looking for an OEM part #

See picture

Heres the problem, it seems a lot of guys have advice, but many are not running them, some guys giving advice don't even know what they have.

Loggy who has been very helpful offered some advice but didn't disclose a spacer size.

Still hoping for someone that actually is running them on a 2 wd Vanagon with 215x60x16's and know what spacers and hardwear they have with this set up.

If you have a lifted Syncro with monster tires, oval window or 67 mustang and have not used them, doesn't help me a whole lot.

**Thank you to those that are trying
to be helpful. Very Happy

OK, it's just frustrating when someone asked the question before and starts a new thread. Then the respondents have to ask details again which has already been addressed before. It would have been better if you continued the other thread. People take time from their schedules to help you. When you try to post around the topic they've already answered, it is not a pleasant thing.

You have the forged alloy wheels only found on the 1998-2003 CLK as delivered in the US. They can also be found on E-class cars plus dealers shuffled them around on different models. The picture is worth a thousan words.

The reason you were not told the spacer thickness is probably because you did not say what sort of front dust cap you have. As far as know, there are two dustcap heights. The shorter one will require a thinner spacer. The taller will require one as much as 1/2" or about 12.5mm in thickness. Now the main reason people put on the MB forged alloys is because the mounting pads are thin enough to fit a Vanagon without longer bolts or studs. It seems to me you are fighting against the tide by wanting to put spacers on just so you can use the stock centercaps. Well, to each his own.

If you put 12.5mm spacers on together with the appropriate longer studs and bolts, you should be able to fit the MB centercaps on. That is assuming your dustcaps aren't some aftermarket super tall stuff that someone stuck on there. Not only do you need to worry about the dustcap but there is also the question of the speedometer drive cable. It pokes out on the left side cap. People have outline methods to shorten said cap to make tall centercaps fit without spacers. Those caps attach with 3 screws on the backside instead of clipping on like the MB caps.

Don't forget that as you stray from the ideal ET30, you will cause some grief to your bearings and affect your handling somewhat. ET37 - 12.5mm nets you 1/2" more space to clear your centercap and offset of ET24.5. that's not too radical IMHO. Go look at your wheels and see if 1/2" is enough clearance to pop the cap back on. I'd not then adjust spacer thickness accordingly. There is no singular answer for everybody's application. I've had those wheels on both Syncros and 2wd back in 2001-02. I moved to 17's so nothing here to use for reference.

And on the matter of using aftermarket centercaps, the 2wd dustcaps will need trimming to fit or have someone clearance the inside of the centercaps you will be using upfront.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 16" x 7" ET37 Mercedes rims on my 2WD van and used 7mm hub-centric Loogy spacers. You ideally want ET30, so 37 - 7 = 30

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Lotek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As previously mentioned, Loogy is the most knowledgeable person on the forum about any and all wheel questions. He also sells whatever hardware you might need. I don't know if you have contacted him directly but he usually responds quickly and professionally.

Here's what he told me whan I asked him the same question:

"As for spacers, there are a couple of ways to go. I really like to keep the front offset to 30mm which would require the use of a 7mm spacer. However, there is a slight amount of interference in fitting the front center caps with that offset. The clearance issue can be cured by either shortening the grease caps by a couple of millimeters of simply hammering the end of the caps in slightly. The alternative would be to install a set of 10mm spacers which would give you an effective offset of 27mm. Personally, I like to do whatever I can to maintain the 30mm offset, but the choice is yours. For the rear spacers, I would use the same thickness as the front, whichever fronts you choose.I do offer Conversion studs for the front that simply screw into the front hub and provide a nice stud so that you can use lug nuts on all four corners of the van. The added benefit of using the conversion studs is that you then have the choice to use nice closed end lug nuts.

To explain further, I offer two different styles of lug nuts. One features an open end and has a 17mm hex head that matches the 17mm hex head on the long lug bolts. The other lug nut features a closed end with a nice satin stainless cap and a 19mm hex head. This style looks a little better on wheel with exposed lugs. Both styles feature the correct lug seat for the Mercedes wheels.

If you choose the 17mm headed version, I do offer a black cap for the lugs that help clean up the look. "

Good luck with your quest!
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Center caps on the cheap....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=394310&highlight=clk+center+centre+caps
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveVanB wrote:
Center caps on the cheap....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=394310&highlight=clk+center+centre+caps

Nice job! It would blend better if you spray them silver. Cool

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surf760 wrote:

Hey Man,

I'm sorry about that! Yesterday was one of those crazy days. I wasn't trying to be secretive about the spacers or anything, I just forgot to write the size down. I'm pretty open about fitments and sizing and such. I really do appreciate it when people decide to do business with me, even after they have all of the free information, but I understand that sometimes that's not their desire, or sometimes it's not possible for whatever reason. Anyway, thank you to everyone who put in a good word for me here, it means a lot to have your support.

What Lotek quoted still holds true, so I won't repeat it. If you have any other questions about anything, please don't hesitate to ask.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: