Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil galley plugs & case cleaning
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wjoef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, the brass plugs I bought are all the same length as the plugs I removed from the block, so I didn't really think the plug length would be a problem. But I guess there might be different lengths of plugs available. That's good to know, you have to be watchful.

Karmann Ghia - a German Alfa Romeo or an Italian Porsche?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bart Dunn wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Can #4 be removed with a screw driver?
I looked at one of my spare cases and unless I'm crazy, you can't stick a screw driver in there, the slot has a weird angle to it so the screwdriver just pops out. Plus I didn't know if the case is threaded to unscrew it?

My engine is leaking a tiny bit out of there so I would like to remove and reinstall it with some sealant.
Also - What sealant to use?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric Outland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: PLugs Reply with quote

Yes the plug can be removed, it is screwed in! However at the factory it's not uncommon for those old boy's to dimple the corners of the plug screw. So address that first. Then Heat can and probably will be your best friend when unscrewing this Plug.

The plug will come out with some effort, as far as the slot for the screw driver--- You may have to Make something that fits tight and as close tolerance as possible , once you have that figured out I find that after heating the plug significantly inserting your made tool use a wrench on your made tool and turning ,should come right out. OR an Impact can work with a made tool end.

Now I would take out the motor Personally to do this. If you Just want to stop the leak. And you are 100% sure it is infact this plug, Not the over flow, or your oil pump or just run off. Then J>B> weld can cure it. and ( once the motor is out on the ground)J.B. weld can be Chiped out. It's worked for me in the past as a quick fix. Also it has been a wrong diagnosis on my part in the past as well and a small leaky oil pump cover collecting underneath the plug and not the plug itself. Good luck Eric.
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up on that #4. I tried several different ways to get it out, stopping short of the violence I would have employed in my youth so that I didn't bugger up the case in the photos--turns out it's the original one to my car. I think there's a special tool for it that looks like a fat chisel with a rounded head. Don't know if it's threaded.

I cleaned out that passage by running gun cleaning brushes on a flexible rod through the pickup tube and one of the passageways going into the oil pump, and then ran a bunch of solvent through it. Seems to have worked well so far... (insert "spits/makes forked 'anti-evil' hand gesture" emoticon)
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can probably use a drag link socket on it, round the corners off a bit and use a impact on a reduced setting and just hammer at it for a few minutes.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I did think about slapping some JB Weld over the end to stop the leak for now.
I cleaned the engine and it's definitely from the plug.
It's only leaking when the engine sits in my garage, even when dead cold.

If I can get the piece out and it looks reusable, what sealant should I use on it so that it does not leak?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
If I can get the piece out and it looks reusable, what sealant should I use on it so that it does not leak?

Permatex or Loctite thread sealant seems to be what a lot use on galley plugs...
galencurrington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oval56 wrote:
i use for metric tepered hexagon socket screws in M8x1, m10x1 and m12x1,5

thats DIN screws, a set for a engien is about 35$

i also remove the small one son the backside of the housing

what kinda seal is that you are putting on the front of the crank? never seen that done before.
jon mccoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Bart, did you use 4- 1/8, 3- 1/16 and 1- 1/4 for number 4 where the screw plug went?
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Bart Dunn wrote:

Can #4 be removed with a screw driver?
I looked at one of my spare cases and unless I'm crazy, you can't stick a screw driver in there, the slot has a weird angle to it so the screwdriver just pops out. Plus I didn't know if the case is threaded to unscrew it?

My engine is leaking a tiny bit out of there so I would like to remove and reinstall it with some sealant.
Also - What sealant to use?

Ev, ive used this sealant for years n find it good, im sure others will chime in about the one they use too.
https://www.blackwoods.com.au/part/05198603/form-a-gasket-3j-loctite-aviation-50ml
SuperOldSchool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Is #4 plug already threaded or pressed in? Reply with quote

Is plug # 4 a screw in or a pressed in plug? I have a single relief case with a slotted plug near the oil pickup tube and I can't get it loose with a big screwdriver. I was thinking it might actually be pressed in? Anyone know?

I might need to remove it so I can drift out the pickup tube..... Can't seem to wiggle or pry it out.

Thanks
SOS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Is #4 plug already threaded or pressed in? Reply with quote

SuperOldSchool wrote:
Is plug # 4 a screw in or a pressed in plug? I have a single relief case with a slotted plug near the oil pickup tube and I can't get it loose with a big screwdriver. I was thinking it might actually be pressed in? Anyone know?

I might need to remove it so I can drift out the pickup tube..... Can't seem to wiggle or pry it out.

Thanks
SOS

The oil pick up tube galley plug is screwed in. You wont necessarily need to remove the oil pick up tube to clean it though.
Applying heat around the plug boss will make removal much easier.

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SuperOldSchool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I am needing to take the oil tube from this case to be used in another and am having a heck of a time getting it out. I can turn it a little back and forth but can't seem to pull it out.
I have power blaster soaking where the tube meets the case and will try a little heat....maybe I don't need to get that #4 plug out....
Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SuperOldSchool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil galley plugs & case cleaning Reply with quote

So I heated the screw-plug, got it out then drifted out the pickup tube.

Now...

Putting the tube in the other case: I did drive it in with a wrench on the tube end and a rubber mallet, but it's still about .25 or so too far out ( the tab the umbrella afixes to stud is not aligned/ close enough)

My question now is can I just leave it and JB weld where the tube enters the case? I will be brazing an extension for a deeper / additional sump anyway...

Does that tab HAVE to be bolted to the case or can I just JB or Loctite as is? It's very tight in the hole. Can barely turn it..

Thank you!
ATLvolksfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Oil galley plugs & case cleaning Reply with quote

Game Changed Wink

Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil galley plugs & case cleaning Reply with quote

Oil galley plugs/bushings are also good. The problem I found is trying to find the correct reamers to get a perfectly clean and round hole. If you don't have access to a lathe to make the bushings/plugs, you are going to find and pay a machinist to make them up and that can get expensive. Using pipe plugs allows the next builder the option of removing the plugs for a thorough cleaning.

I retired from The Boeing Company working on the C-17 and I installed bushings/slugs every so often. There, we had the support of Tool Liason that was able to fabricate whatever sized slug we needed. Now that i'm retired, I think of all the special tools / reamers etc I had access to. I wish I had them now.....They would make my life much easier! Cheers, Mr. Okrasa Cool

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: