Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oldbug.com Rally Oval
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDHertz11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per a post card I have from 1956:

10 South Royal Poinciana , Miami Springs , Florida

BRUNDAGE MOTORS , IN.
VOLKSWAGEN DISTRIBUTOR FOR FLORIDA AND GEORGIA
tico1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I thought it said 110. If it's 10 then I guess it was right off the circle. However, check out the last page on this link. There is an advertisement for Brundage from 1954 with the address showing Palmetto Dr. You gotta love it - "Drive your car to Miami and let us servide it or over haul it while you are vactionaing in Miami Beach, Cuba or Nassau". Check out all the cars in the pic. Nice!http://nrsccahistory.com/history/pdf/1954SportsCarArticle.pdf[/img]
JDHertz11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tico1968 wrote:
Oh, I thought it said 110. If it's 10 then I guess it was right off the circle. However, check out the last page on this link. There is an advertisement for Brundage from 1954 with the address showing Palmetto Dr. You gotta love it - "Drive your car to Miami and let us service it or over haul it while you are vacationing in Miami Beach, Cuba or Nassau". Check out all the cars in the pic. Nice!http://nrsccahistory.com/history/pdf/1954SportsCarArticle.pdf[/img]

Looks like they were originally at "17" and then moved to "10". I have spent some time at the Miami Springs City Hall trying to clarify this and they seem to "think" that "17" was pre '55 and "10" was from '55. I have even stopped in the cleaners which now occupies "10" and they have some memory of the "old VW shop" but not much. Here are some scans of what I went by. The car should be in Miami by mid May or so.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here are some current aerial views of "Brundage". If you look closely you can see the bay doors on the back of the building. The front of the building doesn't quite match up with the postcard though. I assume that it is "the" building due to the open area facing the circle and the presence of the shop area.

Last edited by JDHertz11 on Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:42 am; edited 1 time in total
tico1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see we are both into the history as much as the cars. I checked the tax roll and the building at 10 S Royal Poinciana (the cleaners) was built in 1954 and the one at 17 Palmetto Dr, which is a very narrow strip of land with an small office bldg, was built in 1950. So I think you are right-on with the dates. You know I always wondered why a dry cleaners would need such big store front windows. Please let me know if you will be showing there car when it gets to Miami, I would love to see it in person. Peace!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: