Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

torque converter seal; orientation? leaking upon install
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: torque converter seal; orientation? leaking upon install Reply with quote

In the picture posted above you can clearly see marks from a hammer or punch on the edges of the bore. These small marks are enough to destroy a rubber covered seal and must be smoothed out to reestablish an evenly chamfered edge.
Five minutes Vs a second or third R&R.
blee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: torque converter seal; orientation? leaking upon install Reply with quote

Cleaned up the burrs as much as I felt comfortable doing so without causing damage. Decided to use two metal clad seals, no sealant on the outside. The TQ shaft after sanding with 900 grit w/d paper still had a detectable groove from the last seal. Without changing that out or using a repair sleeve, I thought using two was the best option. Used a 1 1/2" PVC coupler to drive in flush, then a 1 1/4" PVC coupler to countersink. looks like the ports are still accessible. Not sure if the partially blocked flow will be an issue.

I appreciate everyone's help, suggestions, and experience. I may not always listen, but I hear you!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dasilva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: torque converter seal; orientation? leaking upon install Reply with quote

I'm having difficulty removing the torque converter seal. When I pulled, using a similar tool to Ben Huot on his YouTube video, the rubber quickly separated from the metal. At this point, what are my options for removing the metal remainder of the seal?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: torque converter seal; orientation? leaking upon install Reply with quote

Use a sharp awl, punch a hole in the metal part of the seal.

A slide hammer with a sheet metal screw in the tip.

Screw it into the hole.

Slide the weight back sharply!

One removed seal!

Now...... throw that crap orange seal away and go get a good one.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: torque converter seal; orientation? leaking upon install Reply with quote

I don't know why people don't use proper seal pullers, but please go get one from an auto parts store. They are worth their weight in gold. You will greatly reduce your chances of damaging the seal housing if you use a proper seal puller.

Here's an example of a good one:

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-56750-Seal-Puller/dp/B0002SRCKG

kourt
dasilva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: torque converter seal; orientation? leaking upon install Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: torque converter seal; orientation? leaking upon install Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
I don't know why people don't use proper seal pullers

that takes away money for valuable upgrades like LED lights and 16" wheels.

Laughing

BiWerks Design, LLC
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: torque converter seal; orientation? leaking upon install Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
kourt wrote:
I don't know why people don't use proper seal pullers

that takes away money for valuable upgrades like LED lights and 16" wheels.

Laughing

I don't have any if that stuff, nor do I have a "proper" seal puller.

My slide hammer with a sheet metal screw has worked well for me for over half a Century....... why change now?

It worked for my Grandfather who started driving about 1900, he showed me the trick..... so 120 years of proven technique ain't half bad is it?

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: torque converter seal; orientation? leaking upon install Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
120 years of proven technique

a technique as old as the VW boxer engine design Wink

BiWerks Design, LLC
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: torque converter seal; orientation? leaking upon install Reply with quote

I like that old sheet-metal-screw-and-slide-hammer method as well, but it has limits.

In the case of a modern, all-aluminum engine block (my Volvo XC70), a sheet metal screw that does not drive squarely into the seal will mar the crankcase sealing surface and compound the problem. That's a mistake I cannot afford to make. So I bought a proper seal puller, where I have more control over where the seal puller hook goes.

kourt
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: torque converter seal; orientation? leaking upon install Reply with quote

There's room for both methods.

I've just run with what I know.
At this stage of the game I'm looking at shedding tools, not gathering more!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
dasilva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: torque converter seal; orientation? leaking upon install Reply with quote

Thanks, all. Seal puller worked well (and was a cheap buy from local auto parts store)

dasilva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: torque converter seal; orientation? leaking upon install Reply with quote

Thanks, all. Seal puller worked well (and was a cheap buy from local auto parts store)

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: