Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to Install Fram external Oil
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: How to Install Fram external Oil Reply with quote

Hi I’ve just bought the fram oil canister for my okrasa 30hp engine so I’m now in need of the oil hose kit..
Does anybody know where i can buy it from??
Possibly in the uk?
Tia
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: How to Install Fram external Oil Reply with quote

gingerporsche wrote:
Hi I’ve just bought the fram oil canister for my okrasa 30hp engine so I’m now in need of the oil hose kit..
Does anybody know where i can buy it from??
Possibly in the uk?
Tia

Don't know anyone making them in the UK at the moment but "vwmike333" can make them to your requirements. Send him a PM. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=34259
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
puchfinnland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Install Fram external Oil Reply with quote

Has anyone modified this type oil filter to be full flow?
I imagine welding on larger fittings for larger diameter feed and returns
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Install Fram external Oil Reply with quote

puchfinnland wrote:

It would have to be plumbed differently and the filter would have to be able to handle the pressure.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: How to Install Fram external Oil Reply with quote

puchfinnland wrote:

There were similar units that came with larger fittings and hoses already set up for full flow.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gezuvwor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: How to Install Fram external Oil Reply with quote

In the context of drawing oil from a secondary circuit initially supplying the pressure sensor and not at the outlet of the oil pump, filtration remains not perfect

That said, should we increase the quantity of oil if we have installed a Fram FP3 like here? I suppose that the oil in the filter goes back down into the crankcase by gravity, when the engine is stopped.

Firstly, I would tend to think that we should add approximately the same volume of oil as the filter contains, in order to avoid any planing in the suction of the crankcase...

Am I wrong ?

I also wonder about taking the oil from the location of the pressure probe: we take oil which was supposed to lubricate the vital parts to send it into the filter. Obviously, there are fewer of them going into the landings...
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: How to Install Fram external Oil Reply with quote

Gezuvwor wrote:
In the context of drawing oil from a secondary circuit initially supplying the pressure sensor and not at the outlet of the oil pump, filtration remains not perfect

That said, should we increase the quantity of oil if we have installed a Fram FP3 like here? I suppose that the oil in the filter goes back down into the crankcase by gravity, when the engine is stopped.

Firstly, I would tend to think that we should add approximately the same volume of oil as the filter contains, in order to avoid any planing in the suction of the crankcase...

Am I wrong ?

I also wonder about taking the oil from the location of the pressure probe: we take oil which was supposed to lubricate the vital parts to send it into the filter. Obviously, there are fewer of them going into the landings...

I would assume when Okrasa designed their dual port engine kits and wanted to "add" an oil filter as an accessory, using the oil pressure switch area would have made
it an ideal location WITHOUT completely disassembling the engine in order to drill / tap (metal shavings) an accessible and convenient oil galley.

Their long 14mm hex bolt added at the oil pressure switch location is identical what the early Pre-A Porsche 356's used in their engines. The concern about low oil pressure is measured by a 2mm controlled orifice in the fitting. This allows sufficient oil to flow to the oil filter but at the same time, maintain proper oil pressure to the bearings. This design is brilliant as does not (high) pressurize the oil inlet line at the oil canister but rather maintain important oil pressure within the block.

Additional oil is added to fill the oil canister, oil cooler if used and oil lines. Some oil does drain back in to the crankcase but not all. Whenever I start a freshly built Okrasa engine, I add 2 1/2 qts. of oil to fill the crankcase and fill the oil filter canister with the element inside. This will assure me that I have filled the "large" voids in the oil system. After you shut down, I check the oil level at the dipstick and add oil if required. Of course, if you have a deep oil sump, you will need additional oil.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gezuvwor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: How to Install Fram external Oil Reply with quote

Mr. Okrasa wrote:
I would assume when Okrasa designed their dual port engine kits and wanted to "add" an oil filter as an accessory, using the oil pressure switch area would have made
it an ideal location WITHOUT completely disassembling the engine in order to drill / tap (metal shavings) an accessible and convenient oil galley.

Thank you very much Joe for all this detailed and common sense information.

Have you had the opportunity to evaluate the approximate volume of oil filtered by this device?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: