Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Autobahn(R) 560R15 Blackwall Tire
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:10 am    Post subject: Autobahn(R) 560R15 Blackwall Tire Reply with quote

Hi I seen this add today ...what do you guys think about them ..I think they would look great on a vintage speed car ..what are your thoughts about them ...👇👇
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2482124
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Autobahn(R) 560R15 Blackwall Tire Reply with quote

The good: IMO, they really do look like bias ply tires.

The less good: price and shipping. They need distributors in the US and Europe so they can get their shipping cost under control.

'Shipping costs to the US and Europe are as follows.
*1 tire-$100
*2 tires-$180
*3 tires-$240
*4 tires-$280
*5 tires-$350"

If your budget is in the 250/tire range, I would suggest looking at the following tires.

Michelin XAS.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I believe they were first sold in 1967, and are reputed to do very well with swing axled cars.

Pirelli Cinturato CA 67

They're a period correct radial tire used on cars starting in the early 1950's.

Pirelli Cinturato CN 36

The CN 36 was first sold ~ 1967 and is very popular with the Porsche guys.

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Autobahn(R) 560R15 Blackwall Tire Reply with quote

I wish dunlop would make there vintage dunlop racing 15 inch tires for street use now thats a dream 🙏 ..I love the look of those tires but their not for street use 👎👎....they only have a street version but with 16' wheels .....
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Autobahn(R) 560R15 Blackwall Tire Reply with quote

coker has a 560 bias ply looking radial tire don't they? or was it a 600 (type 3 sized, it would be fine on a bug)
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Autobahn(R) 560R15 Blackwall Tire Reply with quote

yeah $264 each "free" shipping

Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Autobahn(R) 560R15 Blackwall Tire Reply with quote

I'd get the Michelin's too...
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Autobahn(R) 560R15 Blackwall Tire Reply with quote

I purchased (5) of the American Classic tires for my '59 Ghia from Coker because at the time, nobody was making a bias ply tire design with radial cord performance.
I've driven bias ply tires and they are a challenge to drive especially in 16".

The American Classic tires handle much better but I cannot drive 'em past 90 mph since my Ghia starts "shaking" around 95 mph and I believe the tires are rated
for only 94 mph? I'm fearing they will fail at high RPM so I never driven the car to see how fast it can actually run.

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com

Last edited by Mr. Okrasa on Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Autobahn(R) 560R15 Blackwall Tire Reply with quote

just got a set today. they look nice . 5.60r 15. metric size marked
145-95-15 . can't wait to put em on. made in Taiwan. seem well made.
bias -ply look radial

66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG

Last edited by sgmalt46 on Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Autobahn(R) 560R15 Blackwall Tire Reply with quote

sgmalt46 wrote:
just got a set today. they look nice . 5.60r 15. metric size marked
145-95-15 . can't wait to put em on. made in Taiwan. seem well made.

Keep us up dated on the tires and info about driving conditions 👍
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Autobahn(R) 560R15 Blackwall Tire Reply with quote

I'm currently loving my new sprint classics but I gotta say those look cool!

They look just like the OG spare in my '67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Autobahn(R) 560R15 Blackwall Tire Reply with quote

If I was going for full resto look I'd probably buy these... appearance is spot on. I'm going with Vredestein Sprint Classics, hoping they'll give a slight performance increase based on weight and compound. Plus they have a vintage speed look as well. We're fortunate to have some nice choices.
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Autobahn(R) 560R15 Blackwall Tire Reply with quote

In performance tires, do not forget about the AVON CR6ZZ, they are available in 155R15 and some other beetle friendly sizes

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/vintage-tyres/avon-cr6zz.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Autobahn(R) 560R15 Blackwall Tire Reply with quote

Since I use my car around town mostly, I was going to buy 5.60 x 15 Firestones. Occasionally I drive on the Pacific Coast Highway, but my car won't go faster than 60 mph so bias ply is fine for me.
'62 Pearl White Ragtop sedan
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
grailoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Autobahn(R) 560R15 Blackwall Tire Reply with quote

here are some pictures of the autobahn tires mounted on my freshly powdercoated rim for the 56 cabrio:

My oldspeed 36hp autotechnik express build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670827
My garage build: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199438
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Autobahn(R) 560R15 Blackwall Tire Reply with quote

Hi "Grailoc",

Those tires look great, and I'm sure we will all look forward to your initial driving review of these bias-ply look, steel belt radials. Any chance that you can provide us with the outer circumference measurement of your properly inflated (what pressure are you going to run with them on your Kabriolett). When you have some time, please run a cloth measuring tape all the way around the center of the inflated tread pattern and let us know how many inches (i.e. 78 inches, etc...).

I happen to have one of what I believe to be the 66 year old original bias-ply tires in the spare position on my un-restored 1955 Deluxe Sunroof Beetle "Martha". It is well-used but still has tread, and the previous owner ordered a set a four tires long ago and saved and placed the best Metzler in the spare position. I keep it inflated, and I hope I never have to use it! If so I'll drive slowly home and order another tire.

Anyway, I just now measured that cool old Metzler 5.60-15" blackwall tire (it has a tube) and the outer circumference measurement of this worn used tire is exactly 79" and it stands 25 1/2" tall (floor to top of tread). I'll be ordering a set of new tires someday for both this '55 Sunroof and another set as well for my someday soon to be restored '57 Kabriolett. Thanks for the measurements, as well as your future Autobahn tire "review"!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Autobahn(R) 560R15 Blackwall Tire Reply with quote

Mr. Okrasa wrote:
I purchased (5) of the American Classic tires for my '59 Ghia from Coker because at the time, nobody was making a bias ply tire design with radial cord performance.
I've driven bias ply tires and they are a challenge to drive especially in 16".

The American Classic tires handle much better but I cannot drive 'em past 90 mph since my Ghia starts "shaking" around 95 mph and I believe the tires are rated
for only 94 mph? I'm fearing they will fail at high RPM so I never driven the car to see how fast it can actually run.

Forget about the tires, the real question is.... Joe how are you going 90-95 mph?!?! Please tell, haha! Is it the Denzel power, trans choice and or that slippery Ghia profile? What is your rpm at 90mph? Very Happy

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
2014 Porsche 991.1 Carrera S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Autobahn(R) 560R15 Blackwall Tire Reply with quote

Big_E_Deluxe wrote:
Forget about the tires, the real question is.... Joe how are you going 90-95 mph?!?! Please tell, haha! Is it the Denzel power,
trans choice and or that slippery Ghia profile? What is your rpm at 90mph? Very Happy

Hi Erik. I would think the Denzel engine and the sandcast Solex 40 P-11's with 29mm venturi's helps. The speedo pegs out and my mechanical tach.
has a broken cable so I don't know what's my actual RPM. I also have a Pro Street full synchro. transmission with a 4:12 ring & pinion that allows me
to have a better top end. I had someone follow next to me while I "opened 'er up" and about 90 mph, she started "shaking" and that's when visions
of tires flying off the rims, rolling over doing cart wheels like in the movies came to mind so I backed off the gas pedal and lived to see another day.... Yellow Ghia

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Autobahn(R) 560R15 Blackwall Tire Reply with quote

Mr. Okrasa wrote:
Big_E_Deluxe wrote:
Forget about the tires, the real question is.... Joe how are you going 90-95 mph?!?! Please tell, haha! Is it the Denzel power,
trans choice and or that slippery Ghia profile? What is your rpm at 90mph? Very Happy

Hi Erik. I would think the Denzel engine and the sandcast Solex 40 P-11's with 29mm venturi's helps. The speedo pegs out and my mechanical tach.
has a broken cable so I don't know what's my actual RPM. I also have a Pro Street full synchro. transmission with a 4:12 ring & pinion that allows me
to have a better top end. I had someone follow next to me while I "opened 'er up" and about 90 mph, she started "shaking" and that's when visions
of tires flying off the rims, rolling over doing cart wheels like in the movies came to mind so I backed off the gas pedal and lived to see another day.... Yellow Ghia

Haha! It's a good thing, you need that speed to keep up on the 405. Be safe Joe!

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
2014 Porsche 991.1 Carrera S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Autobahn(R) 560R15 Blackwall Tire Reply with quote

On the brink of ordering a set of the Autobahn Whitewalls for my '57. Dead thread for a year .... anyone since have some driving experiences on these?

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Autobahn(R) 560R15 Blackwall Tire Reply with quote

A decade or two ago I bought one of those uber-rare mechanical VDO 0-5,000 rpm tachometer, mounting bracket and mechanical signal generator set-up with a broken cable. I was somehow able to acquire a NOS cable from VDO way back when and had a crank pulley nut adapted by Mr. Schubert to accept the cable end, and I've been saving it all up to install on the Okrasa engine that Herr Niedernhofer and Herr Schubert put together for a future project of mine. I can't wait to see it all hooked up to monitor the revs on my fresh engine currently sitting forlornly on the garage shelf. Joe, you should see if someone can make you a new cable or repair yours with modern technology? You don't see these Vintage tach set-ups everyday or even every year...

While I look forward to putting miles on and using this project car, I won't be driving that car/engine past 75 or 80 mph, just not worth it to me...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: