Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Info on the Scania Vabis rally cars?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Info on the Scania Vabis rally cars? Reply with quote

does anyone have info on or pictures of the scania vabis rally cars?

from what I have found they are the closest thing to a "works" rally team that VW had in the 6V era, being run by the Swedish importers.

circa '63 they ran 1500S type 3's

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and circa '64 they ran okrasa engined beetles, homologated off the mach 1 beetles.

they ran modified okrasa motors, straight pipe exhaust tips, 356 brakes and wheels, lexan windows and various other rally mods (which I'd love to know more about). one of which was using beetle rear seat straps as bonnet hold downs. if I'm game to drill my car i'll be copying that one. for the spa-sofia-liege they ran 84L fuel tanks with the filler through the bonnet.

an article with lots of great pictures and by the looks of it, lots of good info, unfortunately it's in Swedish. if anyone knows an easy way to translate it or has an English copy could they please post it.
http://www.taksokare.se/oettinger.pdf

some mach 1 info: http://shinkindesign.com/sebeetles/mach1.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some very interesting stuff, I'd never heard of the Mach 1 cars before. I would be really cool to see more info posted on this.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Info on the Scania Vabis rally cars? Reply with quote

henry roberts wrote:
circa '63 they ran 1500S type 3's

The only information I can add is to say that is not a '63 Notchback - it's a 64-65 model.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the '63 RAC rally where I think that pic was taken , (special stage/time trial? as there is no co-driver) was in November 63, so that would fit.

I love that he's cornering hard enough, in the wet, to get swing axle tuck. Cool

harry kallstrom came in second in a sister car to the one above, the top place ever scored by an aircooled vw on an international rally. (according to the books anyway)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
50 split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send me an email:

dl_fbom @ hotmail. com

I will help you

#Sawmillcollection

Kübel: 43 (Ho 2022)
type 1: 50, 51 (kabrio), 51, 52(zwitter), 56, 57, 58, 60, 60, 61, 63, 63, 64, 65, 72
type 2: 51, 54 Taxi (H-O 2026), 54, 56, 58, 65 (Fridge van), 67(bay) 68, 68, 70, 70 (Burnt westy), 71 (westy) 72, 73, 73, 75, 96 (Kombi)
type 3: variant 62 (october), 66 fasty: 66 (Teak), 67
Tempo: Matador 50(world´s oldest)
DKW: Schnellast 52, E300 29
Porsche: 356 65
Eriba: Puck 65
Alfredo (tent trailer) 59
Wheel´s and part´s
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
50 split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scania Vabis is (was) the agent of Volkswagen in Sweden. They promoted railcars in the woods, during rallies, and other wood racing. The "pro" drivers got their cars cheep from volkswagen, and therefor they were able to run rallies and gave volkswagen much publicity and promotion. Some of the best racers got their jobs as sellers and so, at local vw sellers.

Spa Sofia Liege 1964 was Scania Vabis first international rally, and they took 5 brand new cars, and reenforce them, in chassis and pan. The suspension was lowered a little, but not much. They have got much inspiration from the Porsche, with the letherstraps to the windows, and plexi windows and so on. The rear seat was made in foam-plastic, and contained tools, parts, water, coffee thermos, extra gas can etc.

They made 84l gas-tanks, filled thru the hood, matt-black paint hood, GT steer wheel, GT chair for the driver, and reenforced OG chair for the co-driver.
Brakes from Porsche B, and longer studs, and distances behind the wheels, to get wider back.

ALL had to look like "original", due to this was a promotion to sell new bugs, and therefor they didn't want it to show it was any other than original....

Okrasa 1200 engine, and this heads were tuned more than the OG okras kit. this gave 58hp din, compared to the 50 din in the OG kit.

5 cars started the rally, but only one made it to the finnisch line. They were 8 in total, and won their class!!
The other 4 did not make it, and some crashed badly, and several got problem with shifting linkage. The winning car did have problem with the shifter linkage too, but they manage to go quick to the goal.

Gerhardt Oettinger had made a promise that he would not say anything about his involvement in the railcars.

He did not keep his promise, and bragged about, "he made the volkswagens rally worth" He should never done that! Heinz Nordhoff never liked the thing about Volkswagens participation in rallys, therefore it looked like the Scania Vabis stod behind the rally cars.

When Nordhoff heard about Oettingers bragging, he picked up the phone and made a call to Scania Vabis in sweden, telling them that they would stop all the rallying right now, else they would loose the selling agency of Volkswagen.
There and then was the stop of Volkswagen rally cars.

I´m in the starting pit of making an exact replica of on of this cars. The missing link for me is right now the 34hp (40hp usa) heads and manifolds.
I have talked to the writer of the article several times, and he has done a massive research job about this old rally cars. All of the guys is gone today, and some of them died 30 years ago. No one remember anything today, but hanks to the writer, Willy, we can know most of the things happen then. I will try to make a replica, as exact as it could get!

If you want to know more, send me an email:
dl_fbom @ hotmail .com
And check my blog about other old speed cars.

#Sawmillcollection

Kübel: 43 (Ho 2022)
type 1: 50, 51 (kabrio), 51, 52(zwitter), 56, 57, 58, 60, 60, 61, 63, 63, 64, 65, 72
type 2: 51, 54 Taxi (H-O 2026), 54, 56, 58, 65 (Fridge van), 67(bay) 68, 68, 70, 70 (Burnt westy), 71 (westy) 72, 73, 73, 75, 96 (Kombi)
type 3: variant 62 (october), 66 fasty: 66 (Teak), 67
Tempo: Matador 50(world´s oldest)
DKW: Schnellast 52, E300 29
Porsche: 356 65
Eriba: Puck 65
Alfredo (tent trailer) 59
Wheel´s and part´s
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info, it has made my morning.

email sent.
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Info on the Scania Vabis rally cars? Reply with quote

not scania vabis but...

henry roberts wrote:

from what I have found they are the closest thing to a "works" rally team that VW had in the 6V era, being run by the Swedish importers.

wrong!

to cut and paste from another site (clubvw Australia). http://www.clubvw.org.au/history004

Clayton being where the VW Australia factory was.

Barry Ferguson and his navigator Dave Johnson win the 3700 km Southern Cross Rally, driving a Beetle specially prepared by the VW Clayton workshops (under team manger Pat Whitaker), with help from VW dealer Worrell Motors of Toorak. One of five ‘works’ Beetles, it had a souped up 1600cc twin carb engine, front discs, 80-litre fuel tank and Country Buggy limited-slip diff. This was the first international rally won by a Beetle, anywhere in the world. Barry’s family still owns this car today.

a little more: http://southerncrossrally.blogspot.com.au/2013/11/1967.html
andy198712
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they basically cut the top of the tank off and weld in a wide filler/wall and weld the too back on this making a taller tank? 80l is huge!
Zebedee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found these from Volksworld magazine on my photobucket account i forgot i'd scanned. Not much more info than you already know though.

henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got both the peter noad books and consider them essential reading. my wife once told me my youngest son didn't care what you read to him as long as he got a bedtime story, so i tried reading "the beetle in motorsport" to him... she was wrong, he was not impressed Laughing

thanks for the volksworld article that's a new one.
Zebedee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a kid i'd have loved if my dad read me motoring books. Very Happy

Peter Noad wrote the Retro articles in Volksworld magazine for years. I scanned most of the rallying ones and they are on my photobucket account here:
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Zebedee/library/Rallying?sort=6&page=1
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Info on the Scania Vabis rally cars? Reply with quote

Photo from front page of "vw forum" 1 1963 (news letter sent to Swedish vw owners).

Don't know if it's an official vabis rally car but you got to love the photo. Driver in suit and tie Very Happy
gsthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Info on the Scania Vabis rally cars? Reply with quote

henry roberts wrote:

Barry Ferguson and his navigator Dave Johnson win the 3700 km Southern Cross Rally, driving a Beetle specially prepared by the VW Clayton workshops (under team manger Pat Whitaker), with help from VW dealer Worrell Motors of Toorak. One of five ‘works’ Beetles, it had a souped up 1600cc twin carb engine, front discs, 80-litre fuel tank and Country Buggy limited-slip diff. This was the first international rally won by a Beetle, anywhere in the world. Barry’s family still owns this car today.

First VW win of an international rallye was in 1954 by Marwaha/Preston at the Coronation Safari rallye (later know as East Africa Safari Rallye).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: