Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission & Final Drive Re-Sealing?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mariusstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Transmission & Final Drive Re-Sealing? Reply with quote

Hey Samba-ites (what is the correct term for that anyhow?) -
I took Otto into the mechanic today to have CV boots looked at. Turns out 3 out of 4 are torn, and so I've got new parts on the way. Irritating as these were replaced by the PO just over a year (and 4,000 miles) ago.

While they had it on the lift, I asked them to give it a quick look over since he hasn't been elevated since we bought him last week. They pointed out that the transmission seems to have a slight leak to it, as the bottom of the pan was caked in dried up/gunky ATF. Not enough to drip on my driveway, but it's pretty obvious to me that it isn't right.

Their proposed solution is to drop the transmission, redo all the gaskets, as well as the final drive gaskets while they have it down. They quoted me approx $1300 for doing all of this. Since I'm new to the Vanagon world, I'm not sure if this is within the expected cost range for this type of service.

Also, looks as though my crank pulley seal is shot as well, and they're quoting $300 or so for that.

Any suggestions on whether or not these prices are expected or out of whack would be appreciated. I'm going to check with another shop (that's also highly rated on roadhaus) tomorrow.

TIA.
MSwart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject: Transmission Sealing Reply with quote

I have a manual transmission so I cannot comment on the price for that part of the job, but 300 for a crankshaft seal on the pulley sides seems a lot. Part = 10%, Labour = 90%? If I were you I would get a second opinion/quote.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your tranny is not dripping oil, just clean it off and don't worry about it. $1300 sounds kind of steep for what they are proposing anyway. A full rebuild of the automatic section and having teh final resealed, plus the labor to remove and replace shouldn't be all that much more than $1300.

If you wanted to do something while they were doing the CV boots you could have them do the output shaft seals. They will be half way there anyway with the CV joints off. The tranny filter and fluid also needs to be changed every 30K or so. They should be changing out the pan gasket when that happens.
mariusstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Sealing Reply with quote

MSwart wrote:
I have a manual transmission so I cannot comment on the price for that part of the job, but 300 for a crankshaft seal on the pulley sides seems a lot. Part = 10%, Labour = 90%? If I were you I would get a second opinion/quote.

Thanks, exactly the sort of feedback I was looking for. I've got another call into (another highly rated) shop from roadhaus. Will update this thread.

It seems like it would be useful/interesting to have a section on TS as a clearinghouse of repair costs. I know we're not always comparing apples to apples, but it would be nice to see ballparks of what people are paying for things.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guy in Encinitas Ca is charging $800 for a final drive inspection / reseal AND rebuilding the automatic half. Add labor to remove and install. If the torque converter needs over haul that is $150 more. He does this job all the time for other shops. Email me for details.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: