Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New motor: massive oil cooler leak!
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: New motor: massive oil cooler leak! Reply with quote

Two days ago, I finished assembly and cranked my brand new 1915 for oil pressure. The light went out eventually, and since it was late, I called it good.

Yesterday, I see oil on the floor under the case. I just figured I spilled some and proceeded to try and fire it up. I then noticed a pool under the motor and started tearing it down. The seals between the cooler and adapter look ok so far. It appears that the culprit is the seals from the adapter to the case.

Now, I used the Wilson book as a reference and he mentioned something about making sure that washers are in place on the oil cooler-to-case studs. Something about making sure the seals don't get crushed. I tightened the nuts to 5ftlbs., but I'm thinking that the seals didn't get crushed ENOUGH. I can't remember what I did when I built it last year, but I sure didn't have this leak. This is an AS41 case with offset cooler, so I'm using the 10mm/10mm stepped donut seals. Should I use the washers or should I crank the thing down?

Speaking of not running, I have fuel, spark and 7 degrees static timing on my ACN SVDA. It will cough if I dump gas down the barrels, but why won't it try on its own?
Oldbugr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigurd- I didn't have a massive oil leak, but I had a hard time getting my to start, it would run when I poured gas down the carbs, and run out. My problem was the new fuel pump (stock). The top was the inlet and the bottom went to the carbs, I had it the other way originally. Eric
Humanure
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a thread in the Beetle section that has some pics and might help: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=408323

If it helps, I have a 1915 and recently changed my oil cooler to case seals. I installed the oil cooler with no washers under the cooler. I just put the seals on the case and then installed the cooler on top, tightened it down to where the cooler sat flush with the case and have no leaks. I did use washers under the nuts.
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I'll read that link later.

I'll try it without the washers. That's my gut feeling right now anyway.

With the running issue, I'm pretty sure I have the hoses connected right. I can see the accelerator spray into the barrels when I open the throttle. I thought maybe I flooded it, but even cranking with the throttle open did nothing but make it spin over faster. Think Man, I'm so close to finally getting it running...
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: New motor: massive oil cooler leak! Reply with quote

The washers are for the old style non doghouse coolers.
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ding ding ding. Pulled em out; no leak. Thanks.
hendersoned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and I have a new 1915 too! mine does not leak oil! whahoo, but wount run, I had fuel hoses basackwards, thanks for the post!
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there, done that. Frustrating, messy, PITA......but a cheap fix. Laughing

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sigurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shameless terrible plug, but any of you guys wanna hop on over to my other thread? Razz http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=409912 Embarassed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: