Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel pump? or ?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Fuel pump? or ? Reply with quote

A few months ago I had difficulties starting the van in the morning. I am not certain I did or did not hear the pump spin.
Anyway, three days ago, I am moseying along on the expressway at or about 55 PMH, slow down for the coming red light, engine dies. Just like out of fuel and I have a full tank. Will not re-start, therefore AAA.

OK. Next day very hard start. Had to turn key on /off could hear the pump spinning, 3, 4 5 times before the engine started.
To be exact, key to ignition on 4 times in a row w/o trying to start, then go for it and try to start.

After 4 or 5 repeats of this comedy the engine finally started. It has started ever since though I do not dare take the van anywhere until I know what the problem is.

Ignition switch is new, 6 months old
Battery is new 2 months old Optima
Fuel filter replaced less than three months ago
Fuel lines REPLACED
so.....

Pump dying ?
Pump relay agonizing?
or ... Question

thanks Smile

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the pump is running it should be pumping fuel. Get yourself a pressure gauge and put it on the test port on the fuel rail and see what it reads. While its running I would shake all the wiring harnesses around and pull on all the plugs and see if doing so caused it to stall.

Have you checked your codes?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a Suby swap is there a procedure similar/same as WBX for bypassing (testing purposes only) the FP relay? If so.....

If it were me, I'd be prepared to bypass FP relay if a no start happened in the drive way. I'd stop trying, insert the jumper wire, listen if pump spinning, then try starting it. If need be, I'd also try a spare known good ignition switch.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys

I am working on it Very Happy

VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Fuel pump 2. Go to end of post to skip poetry. Reply with quote

Ok now.......

Nobody laugh ..... Confused

So then, as the fuel pump pumps I decided to change the relay as being the cheapest link in the chain and see from there.

So after a trip to NAPA, here I come back optimistically getting a Spatenbrau out of the fridge KNOWING that it will never have a chance to get warm before I was done with this basic, elementary childlike replacement.

Ah! Ah ! Ah! Sad Sad Sad

Despite searching the Bentley, searching the whole engine compartment, under the seats I COULD NOT FIND THE DEVILISH LITTLE DEVICE Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Naively I had assumed that said relay was located inside the approx. 6x4 inches black box on the port side of the firewall.
I did not look in the port side where the A/C wiring and relays are located, under that vertical cover.

No ! nope! Not in there

Not anywhere else that I could tell.

So as I could have said in a few words

Where in the HAIL (sic) is the fuel pump relay Question Question Question

My Spaten got warm Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Thanks

914 mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go back and look in that little black box on left side of motor compartment...the one that says "DANGER - HIGH VOLTAGE"

Its in there on 99.9% of vans....

Its the one on the right.
In a world full of ponies it's a thoroughbred horse....
Can ≠ Should
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Suby conversion, I believe the FP relay is next to the ECU. You may want to email Tom Shiels - tom @ tomshiels . com He may be able to help on locating it. Or post on the SubaruVanagon Yahoo Forum.

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
914 mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh....I see. You have a suby. Mine is located next to my ECU which I have mounted in an ammo box in my drivers side rear wheel well.
Most mount it under the bench seat in the 86+ factory location.
Find your ECU and I bet you find your relay.....

Good luck.
In a world full of ponies it's a thoroughbred horse....
Can ≠ Should
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump 2. Go to end of post to skip poetry. Reply with quote

VisPacem wrote:
Ok now.......

No ! nope! Not in there

Who did your conversion?
Sounds like a phone call is in order.
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump 2. Go to end of post to skip poetry. Reply with quote

Perales wrote:
VisPacem wrote:
Ok now.......

No ! nope! Not in there

Who did your conversion?
Sounds like a phone call is in order.

Unfortunately, I do not know who did the conversion. I did again search and enrolled a professional to also search (visually)

I took pictures of the engine compartment with the intention to post them here, however I get a message picture too large (though I reduced them 50%) or file corrupted. To not add further complication I just gave up posting and those which anyway show NOTHING, by this this I mean no FP relay.
Not on the firewall anywhere, not under the pillars not on the sides, not on the back between or around the tail lights. Not in the black box on the port side of the firewall.

Therefore, I have to bend the knee and seek assistance of my lieges and other wizards of the domain.

Could a charitable soul post a picture of this elusive (to me) fuel pump relay **in situ**

thank you very much

Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is not really going to be helpful, but since your working with a custom install, your stuffed unless the original converter rocks up (this is applicable to all conversions, unless they followed a published guide to the 'T'). Your going to have to play follow the wire from your fuel pump to where it may lead. However, my vote is it is located in your arm rest.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: