Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Vintage Kadron History Thread with Questions
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Vintage Kadron History Thread with Questions Reply with quote

Tip for any interested- Go down to the hardware store and dig though the metric hardware for some long M5 machine screws. Grab an old pushrod, and cut some spacers- these ones are about 50~60mm long. Exact length depends on the machine screws you can find- I think these were 75mm long. Easy low-buck high-flow mod to lift the brace out of the throat of the carb! All you do after that is trim the center stud to match the increased height. Not pictures, but I also cut a spacer for the stud so that the air filter lid has something to tighten up against so that the lid doesn't warp when you tighten the nut or wingnut down.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gregson1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Vintage Kadron History Thread with Questions Reply with quote

This picture was taken about a month after I started my battle with Kadrons, and about 5 minutes before I decided to go with something else. Still, I love the look and the performance was pretty good, but spark plug, exhaust and A/F readings coupled with dripping throttle shafts on new carbs killed the relationship. Who knows--I might come back to them in the future.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Vintage Kadron History Thread with Questions Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Secret tip-

The VJU4BR8 (0 231 115 040 is the alternate/later model number) is identical mechanically to the "019" with an added vacuum advance can. It is adjustable for both total advance, as well as sensitivity. It is a killer way to go with kadrons, and is a period correct part.

In fact even if the hose for the vacuum advance is unplugged the vju4br8 will work according. It's mechanical advance curve is sufficient. Cool looking engine. But I would route the breather hose at the back of the fan shroud to free the engine bay from too crowded. IMO.
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Vintage Kadron History Thread with Questions Reply with quote

Secret tip-

The VJU4BR8 (0 231 115 040 is the alternate/later model number) is identical mechanically to the "019" with an added vacuum advance can. It is adjustable for both total advance, as well as sensitivity. It is a killer way to go with kadrons, and is a period correct part.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Vintage Kadron History Thread with Questions Reply with quote

Made a deal on this old 1972 bus with dual carbs and found this guy under the hatch! Ill have more info once I get it home. I couldnt tow the thing back behind my KTM Very Happy Any details on what I have? I dont quite see the matching part in this thread...

76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Vintage Kadron History Thread with Questions Reply with quote

Here's an update, showing them hooked up with a tee connector on my (what I now know is) 1776.

They run very nice and give great (28~) gas mileage now.

cyberdyne systems 101
Sambanator

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Vintage Kadron History Thread with Questions Reply with quote

pwmcguire wrote:
I just found this thread, Is any one familiar with the accelerator pump ball valve that looks to be 1 mm. I got a rebuild kit with 2.5 mm balls and they would not work. When I installed them the accelerator pump tube jammed them to tight in the hole and they would not move. New replacement tubes would not work. I ended up cutting off the bottom of an old tube to give it more room. Any ideas on the small ball?

I'm pretty sure you can get them from kaddy shack

56' Oval
71' Westy
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Vintage Kadron History Thread with Questions Reply with quote

I just found this thread, Is any one familiar with the accelerator pump ball valve that looks to be 1 mm. I got a rebuild kit with 2.5 mm balls and they would not work. When I installed them the accelerator pump tube jammed them to tight in the hole and they would not move. New replacement tubes would not work. I ended up cutting off the bottom of an old tube to give it more room. Any ideas on the small ball?
cyberdyne systems 101
Sambanator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: The Vintage Kadron History Thread with Questions Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Here's how I modified them for SVDA...

Use your drill and a file to turn a steel pin to fit the vacuum channel, and then cut it to about 1/8" long...

And then drive it down the channel with a punch, making sure to only block the bottom port below the throttle, leaving the upper port clear...

That's such a good idea, nice details thanks

56' Oval
71' Westy
cyberdyne systems 101
Sambanator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Vintage Kadron History Thread with Questions Reply with quote

Loving this thread guys. I'm keen to get some Kadrons again, had a used set back in the 90's and as far as I remember they were great...and that was with an 009! Imagine it's better now we can modify to run with an svda.

Looking at the hard fuel lines, it seems they were never intended to be used with a regulator, but now the advice is to use one, perhaps they were better made back in the day?

How do you guys find them in winter, I have a daily driver so it is a consideration, but I've come to like them again so much, all practicalities are going out of the window! Wink

56' Oval
71' Westy
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Vintage Kadron History Thread with Questions Reply with quote

Here's my set, the breather tube has been cut and welded in the aircleaner, and hole drilled underneath for whatever reason. I have the perforated steel covers for the filters, but they are mangled, and in the garage somewhere. I've got a set of hardliners made from brakeline I fitted to them. They sit on a set of steel manifolds.

Here's how I modified them for SVDA...

Use your drill and a file to turn a steel pin to fit the vacuum channel, and then cut it to about 1/8" long...

And then drive it down the channel with a punch, making sure to only block the bottom port below the throttle, leaving the upper port clear...

Get yourself a 3/16" drill bit, and drill out the port plug on the carb body, I did this while my carbs were apart and venturies removed, but you are only going into the plug about 1/4" before it spins out with the bit. Next, get some 5/32" tubing and cut and deburr it. I found for my carbs that 7/8" worked great. Tap it in.

Here they are installed on a 1600DP. Haven't tested the vacuum pull yet, since I need to grab an SVDA first.

jdub63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Vintage Kadron History Thread with Questions Reply with quote

14 gauge seems a bit thick ??
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Vintage Kadron History Thread with Questions Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H9VBRA?psc=1&...ge_o02_s00
DreamWeaver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Vintage Kadron History Thread with Questions Reply with quote

Where would I look to get as close as possible to the OG Kadron perforated metal/filter mesh?

similar to the bellow

Most metal places want me to buy 2meters square of the stuff
Worked out I need roughly 450mm x 90mm.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Vintage Kadron History Thread with Questions Reply with quote

Also will fit single port 1300 Very Happy
conrad1468
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: The Vintage Kadron History Thread with Questions Reply with quote

The manifolds will fit any 1500cc or 1600cc single port engine. IF your 67 still has the original motor.
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/FreshAirVWCarClub/info
thesamba link
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=363031
Official website
http://www.freshaircarclub.com/
Look us up on Facebook, too
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
onesweet63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Vintage Kadron History Thread with Questions Reply with quote

i have a pair of single port carbs that are kadron steel intake manifolds with the equal tube has not been cut... I want to put them on my 67 bug but Im not sure they will fit.. any info would greatful
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be a good source? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=963298
'63 OG 117
DreamWeaver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Cool
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarifications, conrad. After looking at the brake junction photo, and then the one for the fuel lines, the fuel lines are definitely of a (slightly) larger diameter. Therefore the union nuts are also larger.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: