Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1386 Single Port Build--
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject: 1386 Single Port Build-- Reply with quote

Just a share of my recent project -
40Hp big bore 83mm on a stock base w/ WW Okrasa carb setup and camshaft; 8.4: 1 compression. STOCK heads Pretty fun little project, with the exception of butchering the cylinders. THAT part feels like so much hacking but the end result is a pretty good combo. Not quite fully done yet- I need to make a bracket for my filter, redo the fuel lines and maybe shorten the manifolds an inch?
Prior to this it ran good but felt like an average 36hp, smooth but gutless~ 3rd gear would top out at 43mph/ 3500rpm.
I gained 15mph in 3rd and can cruise down the highway at a sustained 65mph and not have to downshift at every incline.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Carbs installed right out of the box and I have no complaints. They adjust great and seems to run just fine. I could probably tweak the accelerator pump, but other than a sputter or two when its super cold it has no lag and no hesitation.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gaYyMt3xDSeiDPNy5

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1386 Single Port Build-- Reply with quote

How did you get 8.4:1 compression with a stock head?
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1386 Single Port Build-- Reply with quote

oldslow wrote:
How did you get 8.4:1 compression with a stock head?

Had to shim the cylinders to get it that low. I assume it’s the 40hp pistons/cylinders. Wrist pin location was the same, but I had less than 1mm deck height to start. With No shims it was over 9:1 ..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1386 Single Port Build-- Reply with quote

You'd have to flycut the heads to get the compression that high. Either that or run a .015" deck height.
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1386 Single Port Build-- Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
You'd have to flycut the heads to get the compression that high. Either that or run a .015" deck height.

From memory I think my figures were
0.60mm deck height and my heads cc'd @ right over 42cc - I bought them rebuilt, so they may have had a slight cut. I used a shim to get it to *about* 8.4.
I dunno - what's that work out to?
83mm X64 w 1.0.mm final deck height and 42cc heads? I rounded down a little to stay on the low-safe side if my stone age measurements weren't super precise)

8.3~8.4 CR ? No problem clearing the plugs, so I figured send it!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: