Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

66 speedo in 67 beetle, different fuel gauges, will it work?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gipeto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: 66 speedo in 67 beetle, different fuel gauges, will it work? Reply with quote

Thanks, this is exactly the look I'm after and they accually sell the entire tree and lt clusters as a package. I will check the details on compatibility with the senders but this looks like what I want
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 66 speedo in 67 beetle, different fuel gauges, will it work? Reply with quote

Here is a vintage look option for a small round fuel gauge if you want to keep your current speedo. I'm not sure which sender it used; you can ask ISPwest.
http://www.vwispwest.com/113018031BG.html?p=
Gipeto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: 66 speedo in 67 beetle, different fuel gauges, will it work? Reply with quote

Thanks, that helps. I had hoped to not replace the spedo but that would be the easy route. I have both new dash panels. The right having 2 holes, both 2 1/8" I think. The left has 2 small and 1 large (for the tach). 3 holes were for oil temp, oil pres., and volt meter. The other was hoping to mount a matching fuel gauge. Not really a big deal though to just buy one new dash panel for single gauge, and Finding a good spedo should be easy. The 68 also uses the vibrator unit as well, correct?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: 66 speedo in 67 beetle, different fuel gauges, will it work? Reply with quote

Gipeto wrote:
I'm wondering if I can use an electric sender from a newer bug for this purpose. Will a newer one fit the 67 tank? And is it compatible with the gauges =

Yes.. 68-77 BEETLE (not Super) electric fuel sending units fit right in the 1967 and older tanks.

Compatibility of a fuel sender to a particular gauge .. all depends on the resistance of the sender vs the gauge resistance range.

Your simplest solution is to use a stock 68 up gauge with the integral fuel gauge. Since you are removing the stock fuel gauge and adding more.. making it match a 67 year look... probably isnt an issue.
Many speedo design change looks from 68 up.. and they all fit the older Beetles.

A STOCK fuel sending unit resistance is about
10 ohms FULL
75 ohms EMPTY..
The gauge and unit must match to be fairly accurate

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=364560

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gipeto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: 66 speedo in 67 beetle, different fuel gauges, will it work? Reply with quote

Hi,
I've a similar dilemma. My 67 has the mechanical sender and gauge which don't work to well (1/4 tank means you've already run out!). I'd like to add oil temp/pressure gauges and bolt gauge as well as a new electric gauge for fuel level. All matching. Oh, and a tach as well. I'm wondering if I can use an electric sender from a newer bug for this purpose. Will a newer one fit the 67 tank? And is it compatible with the gauges available to me. Obviously I'm not using a vw product. Anyone done this before??
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies. I like the idea of it matching the original style, just with the integrated fuel gauge in it.

it just has a 'softer' look than the 69+ style, even though those have the tenth's.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck even get a newer one you will have the tenths digit on it.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Jeckler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you get the '68-only speedo with the integrated gauge, the face is the same style as the earlier models. The font, color and style changed in '69.
bill may wrote:
I am the crabby old guy.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad.
ssmalibu2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need a 68 and up speedo and you will also need to change the sender.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: 66 speedo in 67 beetle, different fuel gauges, will it work? Reply with quote

id like to pick up a speedo from a 66 beetle, where it has the fuel gauge built into the speedo itself.

my 67 does not have this, it has the gauge on that pod to the right of the speedo currently, but id like to put other gauges there instead and since my original speedo is shot...

can I swap in one from a 66 and connect my existing sender to it's fuel gauge and have it work?

thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: