Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Squeaky front end
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blue65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:20 am    Post subject: Squeaky front end Reply with quote

My 1965 VW Beetle squeaked a fair bit.

The front has been lowered by about an inch. Has KYB shocks and an anti-sway bar. This was installed 10 years ago.

When I brake (moderately) the front of my beetle squeaks a fair bit, or when I go around corners.

My mechanic did a lube job and it helped.

But when I am going straight and I apply my brakes the suspension seems to be squeaking or straining.

Is it a serious problem?
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky front end Reply with quote

I wonder if your beam has the after market bushings or OE bearings?
The bushings have been known to squeak. Also, I have seen the sway bar bushing squeak too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuart Maingot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky front end Reply with quote

yes, could be those aftermarket bushings or not enough grease in the oe needle bearings. When properly greased the grease should squeeze out of the dust covers on the end of the beam right where the trailing arms bolt to the torsion leaves.
Incidentally I had a persistent squeak some years ago that turned out to be a cracked frame head, just where the metal fuel line enters the tunnel.
Check that area out as well.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Squeaky front end Reply with quote

The link pins and kingpins really need to be greased often, perhaps 4 times a year or more. They don't HOLD very much grease. If the grease has dried out and rust has set in it is near impossible to push in fresh grease. Just have to take it apart and clean it up and polish the pins and re-assemble to get it working again.
The beam does not have as much of a problem. Very rare for the arms to be rusty or needle bearings to go bad, but it CAN happen.
And the urethane replacement ones.......yeah, they are stiff and squeaky.
I say junk, but I guess they are ok for some, I suppose it isn't dangerous and that's a step above a lot of aftermarket pieces.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Squeaky front end Reply with quote

... or just might need more grease.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blue65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky front end Reply with quote

My mechanic greased it up. It went okay for a week or so. But the squeaking came back again.

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll take it up with my mechanic when he returns back from the holidays.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: