Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tip of the iceberg?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Tip of the iceberg? Reply with quote

With the find of the vw38 AND all the pre KdF parts that seem to pop up around it from out of nowhere I can’t help but wonder if there is still more of the very, very early stuff, like (pre) KdF, around.

In Western Europe and the US it seems more and more hard to find very early parts let alone complete cars but in some of the Eastern European countries it looks like it’s easier to get KdF parts then repro parts! Very Happy

I stumbled upon a Czech internet forum and with my friend Google translator I managed to not only look at the very interesting pictures but also read about some of the amazing finds of which some date back several years while I have not yet seen them here.

Here’s a link to a thread with 13 pages of some recent and some not so recent coach built and homebrew examples with many KdF parts http://www.flat4.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=391

Especially page 7 shows an interesting find of an Opel or Ford look a like with KdF engine and other parts (poor English due to Google translation from Czech):
Quote:
still remember what I opened this topic?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Orphan body .... maybe Ford, perhaps a piece Sodomka, then the amputee KdF chassis for sale and the time I was gone ...

Recently, my friend mentioned that one of his kind friend refurbished contemporary reconstruction, said Ford and Opel on the chassis KdF .... so I sniffed the air and over time we "accidentally" drove around and stopped at the courtesy visit.
What I saw in my warm heart ... yes, it's her same old thing, the new owner to let it and wants to renovate this unique car.

I would say that he's doing, the body was apparently in pretty decent condition, now sits at the right chassis, is equipped with an engine, just have it enabled.

Identity of the owner and the place where it is seen to leave the express wish of anonymity, but keeping his fingers crossed, let's tighten the successful end ...

The exposure of this particular find goes back to 2004 and I think it is the first time it shows up here. It might not be as spectacular as the VW38 found in Lithuania but that also took several years to make it’s way to The Samba after the first discovery.

So what do you think? Tip of the iceberg?
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see anything KDF on that car. looks like 60's to me. The motor is a 70's dual port.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing My lack of technical knowledge shows doesn't it?

But what about my assumption that there is still a lot of the very early stuff around that is unknown of?
delamaize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally I think if you are goign to find the suff, behind the former iron curtain is going to be the place. stuff there was rebuilt and reused over and over again, where in the west not so much.
His non-attention to detail really sets it apart. I see a new trend.......call it " 'tard ride".
Sled wrote:
The tard box will live again!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at that forum KdF seems to pop-up quite often. A lot those cars pictured seem to have VW runnig gear, most probably Kübelwagen. Maybe someone who can read Czech can explain in a few words what is going on there.

I believe there still is interesting stuff out there. A lot of German vehicles were left behind in eastern Europe. The bad news is that in the fifties it was the duty of every citizen to collect scrap metal. That is where most of them ended up. Also in some countries it was illegal to posess trophy vehicles, so a lot of them were disposed or hidden away. In eastern European countries the vintage car movement started only in the early seventies, when some people realized just what sort of rare and valuable cars were kicking arround in scrap heaps. Unfortunately VWs were overlooked mostly. The stuff that may have survived til today is probably stashed away in sheds and barns and owned by people who never talk to anyone about what they have. To find it, you have to be really lucky to hear about it by word of mouth and then be able to locate it and then befriend the owner to let you see it. Most of the time they are not interested in selling because they have grand plans of restoring it one day.

Just to illustrate what I mean, this car, a 1937 racing BMW was found by my father’s work collegue in a deplorable state near Moscow in the early seventies. He fixed it up and drove it to meetings and parades.

http://automotive.speedtv.com/article/vintage-unique-bmw-race-car-at-auction/
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undis wrote:
Just to illustrate what I mean, this car, a 1937 racing BMW was found by my father’s work collegue in a deplorable state near Moscow in the early seventies. He fixed it up and drove it to meetings and parades.

http://automotive.speedtv.com/article/vintage-unique-bmw-race-car-at-auction

Now someone is getting millions for it!
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undis wrote:
Looking at that forum KdF seems to pop-up quite often. A lot those cars pictured seem to have VW runnig gear, most probably Kübelwagen. Maybe someone who can read Czech can explain in a few words what is going on there.

I believe there still is interesting stuff out there. A lot of German vehicles were left behind in eastern Europe. The bad news is that in the fifties it was the duty of every citizen to collect scrap metal. That is where most of them ended up. Also in some countries it was illegal to posess trophy vehicles, so a lot of them were disposed or hidden away. In eastern European countries the vintage car movement started only in the early seventies, when some people realized just what sort of rare and valuable cars were kicking arround in scrap heaps. Unfortunately VWs were overlooked mostly. The stuff that may have survived til today is probably stashed away in sheds and barns and owned by people who never talk to anyone about what they have. To find it, you have to be really lucky to hear about it by word of mouth and then be able to locate it and then befriend the owner to let you see it. Most of the time they are not interested in selling because they have grand plans of restoring it one day.

http://automotive.speedtv.com/article/vintage-unique-bmw-race-car-at-auction/

Laughing "Traded for a new Lada in 1971!" Thanks for sharing that. Really a breath taking car. I saw it at the Techno Classica in Essen two week ago.
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m sorry MDKG for steering your thread off topic like this, but here are some pics of the same BMW from the past.

Germany 1940

Somewhere in Russia at arround 1952

At a vintage car rally in Riga, Latvia in 1977, with the Latvian owner Gvido Adamsons standing next to it.

At Pärnu, Estonia in 1977, again with Mr. Adamsons at the wheel

At a vintage car event in 1986

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: