Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tunnel trans into early bus: center mount option?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunnel trans into early bus: center mount option? Reply with quote

calsurfnative wrote:
The rhino mount is exactly the same top flipped either way it only can go one way to match the off set tranny side holes. Thanks anyways Laughing

That is what I was thinking when looking at the photos.
calsurfnative
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunnel trans into early bus: center mount option? Reply with quote

The rhino mount is exactly the same top flipped either way it only can go one way to match the off set tranny side holes. Thanks anyways Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calsurfnative
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunnel trans into early bus: center mount option? Reply with quote

Anyone think i need to flip this rhino mount over?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunnel trans into early bus: center mount option? Reply with quote

calsurfnative wrote:
Oh no !! it looks like its IS up side down ? Would it matter? should i use the 15m or 10m nut size?

Pretty sure its a 15mm nut (wrench size) to fit a 10 MM stud. It would normally be a 17 MM wrench.
calsurfnative
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunnel trans into early bus: center mount option? Reply with quote

Oh no !! it looks like its IS up side down ? Would it matter? should i use the 15m or 10m nut size?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunnel trans into early bus: center mount option? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Plus isn't the mount upside-down?

Not sure. Are the HD mounts shaped different from stock?

calsurfnative wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunnel trans into early bus: center mount option? Reply with quote

Plus isn't the mount upside-down?
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunnel trans into early bus: center mount option? Reply with quote

calsurfnative wrote:
Anyone know a trick on getting a socket on the 2 front mount nuts on my split bus ? i went with the hard rubber rhyno mounts,Its grooved out but not enough to get a socket on it? or a open or the box end wrench,I thought i could get a washer on to space it enough to get the nut out farther but no room to catch a thread. I think the more stock mounts have more room for the socket Thanks

You need a nut with a 15mm head instead of 17mm.
10mm head nuts work great. Or any decent VW shop (myself included) can supply you with the nuts you need.

Last edited by mr. warehouse on Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calsurfnative
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Tunnel trans into early bus: center mount option? Reply with quote

Anyone know a trick on getting a socket on the 2 front mount nuts on my split bus ? i went with the hard rubber rhyno mounts,Its grooved out but not enough to get a socket on it? or a open or the box end wrench,I thought i could get a washer on to space it enough to get the nut out farther but no room to catch a thread. I think the more stock mounts have more room for the socket Thanks

earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason wrote:
I bolted in the rear mounts first then spaced the front one to fit. The lollipop changes toe if I remember correctly. Just slide your axles back. Mine might change it a bit.

The lollipop does not appear to affect toe-in on my bus. I have recently installed one and measured very carefully and do not see an impact.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bolted in the rear mounts first then spaced the front one to fit. The lollipop changes toe if I remember correctly. Just slide your axles back. Mine might change it a bit.
aaaronw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason wrote:
If you have RDB the nose will move down under acceleration or up without. It would work with RDB but reverse might pop it out. I'd say no. Just make a mount like mine. Cost you about $10. Cheaper if you have scrap.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=583119&highlight=

I like your design Jason. Where can I get your drawing files?
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason wrote:
If you have RDB the nose will move down under acceleration or up without. It would work with RDB but reverse might pop it out. I'd say no. Just make a mount like mine. Cost you about $10. Cheaper if you have scrap.

Did this mount hold up? What about rearward displacement, was the toe-in affected significantly? Looks like a cool idea and I like the use of a stock rubber mount.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaaronw wrote:
Digging up an older thread for some advice. I'd like to get rid of my current hard mount and I'm thinking of using the Wagenswest lollipop. Will the mount work with the mods the PO made to my bus?

I had the same hack on my bus. We got a section of pipe and cut it out to fix the hack. I am now running the lollipop, so far so good. If you fix the hack you have to grind the welds down perfectly. Otherwise any mount you put in the round hole will not seat properly and force your engine and transmission rearward and affect your toe in, eventually eating your tires. Ask me how I know.. Embarassed
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaaronw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digging up an older thread for some advice. I'd like to get rid of my current hard mount and I'm thinking of using the Wagenswest lollipop. Will the mount work with the mods the PO made to my bus?
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesnt hang any lower than the cross member. That one picture is supposed to show it.
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason that mount is epic. You should make and sell those. Or sell cardboard templates of the pieces. Its very simple. I love it just want to see how far it hangs down in person.
Man thats cool.

Like a mount on stilts. The stanchion mount. Smile

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason wrote:
Make your own, costs a few dollars. Make it like the ones used in a split beetle. I made mine and it uses a stock rubber mount which can be switched without removing trans.

Pictures / details?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: