Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery cover fit.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Battery cover fit. Reply with quote

I went to Interstate battery to purchase a 6V battery U19L for my zwitter. They had one in stock so I was able to check the fit of the cover. Width was fine but length of battery was about ¼" too long. In an earlier thread it was stated that U19L was the one to get. Anyone have another source for a correct size? Width & length of the battery would have to be no larger than 7" x 7 3/8". If I recall correctly the cover should fit snug on top of the battery with the lip of the cover hanging over.
Viande
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not intimately familiar with this but I do know my supplier in Germany lists these in two models. 66Ah and 77Ah and the factory cover only fits the 66Ah unit according to their description. Perhaps Interstate is based on the longer Ah rating?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the joy of the cheap price fades away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read back in some old posts on the samba and saw a discussion about a 17L battery being correct for Oct '52 - July '55 and '56-'66 were 19L. It never said if it was a listing for bug or bus. I googled it and found http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/17l.htm has a listing for one.
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: 6 volt battery for a split beetle Reply with quote

I am frustrated. I just fried a 6 volt battery with the seat in place touching the terminals I guess. I am reading thru these forums and still do not have a firm answer in my head. I had a 19L interstate battery and it was a bit big for the battery cover. Then I realized I had two battery covers and one is even smaller than the 19L one. That one came with my split. Is there any battery anywhere that will fit on the floor, fit a stock VW battery cover and clamp in with the stock spring like clips?? I know people are using Optima 6 volts. Looking for more of a stock fit. Tim
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An earlier split must have had a smaller battery than an oval did. The 19L is too big for the small split battery cover I have but maybe 1/2"?? It seems like that is pretty much all that is out there unless you go to a British battery for like an old MG? Unless someone knows something different. Tim
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Battery cover fit. Reply with quote

Does anyone have any new information on where to get a proper battery for a split beetle. I need one for my 1950 split. I was going to buy one of the German vintage Bosch ones but it was 175mm x 215mm and I think that is too big? Maybe for an oval? Tim
Suboval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Battery cover fit. Reply with quote

Here is some information that might help:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=573744

There's two things we learn from history:
1.) History repeats itself.
2.) We don't learn from history.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery cover fit. Reply with quote

The 84 Ah battery is correct and has the right measures. There are several provider in Germany, I would not go with Bosch, as they are too expensive. You also get these Bosch stickers somewhere in Internet (Ebay) and could stick them on your battery to make them look correct.

Last edited by pastellgreen on Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coolparts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Battery cover fit. Reply with quote

Tracktor supply has them . That’s where I got mine
lzamora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Battery cover fit. Reply with quote

What would be the code for the correct 6 volt battery at Tractors Supply?
Thank you, Louie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery cover fit. Reply with quote

Look for a 19L or a 19L40 battery. Advance Auto parts near me can usually order them, as well as O'Reilly Auto parts.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lzamora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery cover fit. Reply with quote

Thanks John. I tried tractor supply website but it seems like the only 6 volt battery they have is for golf carts. Louie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery cover fit. Reply with quote

I think Interstate still makes them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: