Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stigma attached to the WBX?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
seabeesMCB9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was never meant to be "yet another engine conversion thread". In fact, I stated that my WBX ran well and I like them. I was just curious as to why with all the improvements that can be made to the WBX , that people were still doing conversions. I guess it just amounts to personal preference. Good luck with whatever you choose.
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Subys Reply with quote

[quote="dredward"]
ftp2leta wrote:

Ben don't forget most of the people on this forum are vw fans and fanatics. If not samba wouldn't the samba have classifieds and forums for other makes?????? Razz

Yea, i guess i have a tendency to forget. I'm no fan of anything in life so i don't get it and will never do, for me it's call close minded.

I'm surrounded with tuner shop, on my right it's a VW shop and on the left the Honda tuner guys, me in between with a Frankinbastardize van

I'm loosing way to much energy on that subject anyway, back to my sailing forum.

Twisted Evil
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gnarly 928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Stigma attached to the WBX? Reply with quote

seabeesMCB9 wrote:
First off, please know that this post is not being written to flame anyone.There are more posts every day inquiring into engine swaps and I was wondering why. I have owned a Syncro and was pleased with the way it ran. It was not a Westy so I do not know of the lack of power because of the added weight. This seems to be one of the major complaints. The other is obviously the head gasket issue. We now know the causes of the lack of power and gasket failures (i.e. too low of a compression ratio and incorrect coolant), and yet there still seems to be few rebuilds going on. These little engines seem quite durable and I feel that with a updated approach, (balancing, higher compression, cam specs, headers,etc.) they could still be a viable alternative to a swap. Am I way off base? It also seems more cost effective than most swaps. What do you guys think? Please educate me.

"Stigma attached to the WBX?"

Yes, there is that.

When I began considering another VW van... again..I knew for sure that I did not want Air Cooled. Too fussy, not enough power, undependable. Been there, done those, no more interest in them, other than from a distance.

So I started reading everything I could find on Vanagons, thinking an old stock vanagon would be just what I wanted. Some research quickly revealed that yes indeed, there is a Stigma attached to the WBX motored Vanagon.

Now I'm kind of a realist, so if I see negative post after negative post, talk to owners and mechanics with experience, check on costs of rebuilds and parts and I see nothing but negative....I don't ignore it. Can't...

Sure, there are some posts that say stuff like.."Well yeah, they aren't perfect, but mine has done XXX,XXX miles and still works fine..." But they do have a Stigma..and my research turned up plenty of reasons to understand why they have that reputation as 'weak, expensive, undependable, etc.'

I'm running an inline VW (2.0 liter ABA gas Jetta) and I like that. I am quite happy with the way it works. I just replaced my old 1.8 liter motor, though it was still running trouble free, with a $300 used Jetta motor. Works even better than the last one.

I am not advocating any particular motor. Given time and money, you can make anything work...

But in response the the OP's subject line...Yes, there is a stigma with the WBX and it seems to be deserved, if you believe the thousands of people who've had poor experiences with those motors.
g_ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

300K+of abuse and duct tape repairs...
what's not to love?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"I Used To Love Her, But I Had To Kill Her" .. . . . ... GnR
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no real complaints about my 2.1 and I would have run it into the ground had it not checked out early. My wife and I even kicked around whether to stick with the WBX and get a quality rebuild or do the conversion. I'm not "down" on the 2.1wbx, but to see the Subaru and WBX sitting side by side... and even to work on my 2003 Outback with around 140k miles compared to the 125k WBX that gave up the ghost... I'm glad as hell I did the conversion. The Subaru boxer is just so much more nicely engineered, low maintenance, and reliable.

I doubt I'd pull a healthy stock WBX from a Vanagon to do a conversion, but given my experience I wouldn't put a lot of time and money trying to bring a tired WBX back to working order either. Along the same lines, I gave up my air cooled VWs because, as much as I love them, they are antiques and I got tired of all the maintenance to keep them on the road. I don't know the other conversions, but I suspect any of the mature conversions is a light year's improvement over a tired WBX.

I'm a big fan of keeping things stock, and I like my van as a hobby as well as a daily driver. Nothing wrong with the WBX for it's vintage but it's nice to have something built in this century pushing my van.

Paul
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One consideration that has to be made regarding sticking with the wasserboxer is the issue of replacement parts. In the past there has been a certain wisdom to keeping the wbx and not spending all that money on conversion parts that would be necessary with let's say a Subaru conversion. However, as of late many of the wbx parts have become NLA. Luckily aftermarket solutions have come at an impressive rate, but you can spend a ton of money on replacement wbx components:

Billet thermostat housing: $180
Coolant Pipe: $150
Stainless coolant dist. tower: $80
Exhaust headers: $280
Throttle switch: $66
MAFS: $500
Rebuilt throttle body:$350

These are all components that need to be replaced at some time or another to keep the wbx reliable and running properly and all tolled they add up to over $1600. That figure is certainly worth keeping in mind because all the components to physically mount a Subaru engine in a Vanagon (adaptor plate and flywheel, rear mount, header, coolant pipe) are actually cheaper than this.

Don't get me wrong, I still regard the wbx very highly, and will always keep one in at least one of my vans just because the engine makes me grin. However, from my viewpoint, the stigma of the wbx at this point has less to do with the design flaws of the engine and more to do with the less than satisfying Digifant fuel injection system and expensive maintenance parts. I certainly would be excited if someone took the time to adapt a decent fuel injection system to the wbx and tune it properly. I think it would certainly help to get the most of this engine - there's more tuning potential with the basic engine design than I think most people realize. On the other hand, though, by the time you've changed the fuel system haven't you created a one off type of vehicle that can't be worked on by just any VW mechanic during a trip? It would end up having the same main drawback that a conversion has.

Just some recent thoughts and ponderings on the matter.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vango Conversions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The WBX is a great engine if you don't mind, always having to top up the oil, changing head gaskets, staying in the slow lane, going up hills with your foot on the floor and getting passed by 18 wheelers, and getting horrible MPG.
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horrible mileage? I get 20.5 fully loaded

never changed head gaskets yet on my 1.9 or 2.1. 1.9 had 180,000
2.1 has 90,000

neither burned any more oil than both of my subaru 2.2's do

I drive mountain passes EVERYWHERE I go all year long, sooo tired of the silly super slow vanagon nonsense, they aren't meant to be race cars, I go up passes slow but I pass every 18 wheeler, motorhome and many trucks along the way.
Going down the pass vans are pretty darn quick and I make up most if not all of that time so it becomes almost moot over the long haul. Iknow this well because on my regular Boulder to Durango trek over many passes I stay with and/or pass vehicles traveling with me all the time.
The water boxer should be applauded for the wonderful engine it is. It has taken me to the arctic ocean and back!
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love conversions -- every time someone does one, more used WBX engine parts become available.

My (non-VW) daily driver is about 50 years old. When it had been out of production 20 years new replacement parts were hard to find and dealer support and interest was zilch. Today, parts sources abound as multiple companies have found a niche in providing them to enthusiasts who want to keep them on the road. This for a car that saw fewer than 40,000 units built.

I'll take my chances with the free market system and keep the WBX.

P.S. Can any tell me how many water-cooled Vanagons were built?

Last edited by Ahwahnee on Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vango Conversions wrote:
The WBX is a great engine if you don't mind, always having to top up the oil, changing head gaskets, staying in the slow lane, going up hills with your foot on the floor and getting passed by 18 wheelers, and getting horrible MPG.

VC I thought you were talking about an air cooled motor until I saw the "changing the head gaskets" mentioned. Very Happy
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The topic that never ever ever ever dies, in this one section of an ostensibly aircooled VW site. I can't think of an analog over on the MB fora, except for the never-ending squabbles about the nebulous benefits of K&N filters, and "cold air intakes"...and of course, the gawdforsaken oil threads.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Stigma attached to the WBX? Reply with quote

seabeesMCB9 wrote:
First off, please know that this post is not being written to flame anyone.There are more posts every day inquiring into engine swaps and I was wondering why. I have owned a Syncro and was pleased with the way it ran. It was not a Westy so I do not know of the lack of power because of the added weight. This seems to be one of the major complaints. The other is obviously the head gasket issue. We now know the causes of the lack of power and gasket failures (i.e. too low of a compression ratio and incorrect coolant), and yet there still seems to be few rebuilds going on. These little engines seem quite durable and I feel that with a updated approach, (balancing, higher compression, cam specs, headers,etc.) they could still be a viable alternative to a swap. Am I way off base? It also seems more cost effective than most swaps. What do you guys think? Please educate me.

Well the first point to clarify would be the Arrow ...it was...
Which would lead a reasonable person to conclude that you had a Vanagon and do not have one now, although I could be jumping to conclusions without the proper evidence.
Assuming to be correct, I shall point out that if my recollections are correct back then (whenever that was) the speed limit may have been 55. In ideal conditions, a hardtop Vanagon on flat terrain, unloaded will easily do 55mph ... until you hit a hill of some importance or even a gentle looooong slope.

Many places are now at 75mph speed limit. I understand one does not have to drive at 75, but then why not 45, it's the minimum speed allowed on Interstates I believe.

Neither here or there, I lost Three and half (two to leaking heads) Vanagons. One, a Syncro to leaking heads and had the Syncro rebuilt at the tune of US$4500 twenty years ago. I don't even mention the CV joints (dealer asked US$1050 for one replacement PART, not counting labor) and the transmission, but those were Syncro specific handicaps. The other one also to leaking heads.

I now, as hereinafter mentioned, drive a 89 with a 2.2 Subaru that I bought for $5000 already converted and drove it the day after purchase Coast to Coast with a $10 mishap in Denver. I cruise easily at 70/75 and go uphill gingerly. Now think about this rebuilt 20 years ago for $4500. Question Question

I can get a replacement JDM 2.2 or even 2.5 (~165hp) for less than
10 Bills and there is NO NLA part list. The 2.2 will still give me 10hp MORE than the fancy pants GoWesty at $7/8000. For A Few Dollars More.... Laughing I can get two (2) Vanagons.

Now you can get a wonderful ( Question ) GoWesty engine (125hp), but to not even come close to a 2.5 Sub (165hp) you will have to spend US$6995, plus probable core charge and shipping.
I do not know the prices for TenCent engines, but should I be stuck on WBXs it's the only one I would consider.

But the bottom line, IF I had a choice I agree with you totally. If it were reasonably feasible, which IT IS NOT, I would much rather have my 6 cylinder 3 litre Austin, distributor and those PERFECT SUs, (and no matter what the ignorant say, the electrical Lucas/Smith system is way more reliable than the crappy VW maze) than the Sub but the WBX all I say is ..... RIP

And.... I do not feel flamed. If anyone does he/she has a serious problem Dancing

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
On the other hand, though, by the time you've changed the fuel system haven't you created a one off type of vehicle that can't be worked on by just any VW mechanic during a trip? It would end up having the same main drawback that a conversion has.

Worse... at least with at stock Subie engine under the deck you can find a Subie mechanic and parts pretty much anywhere. I imagine the same could be said for the Bostig/Ztec & TDi conversions but I really don't know much about them. The only parts of my conversion that I figure I couldn't expect any help with are electrical/wiring harness issues, clutch/flywheel problems, and cooling system anomalies, since those are the non-standard interfaces used in the conversion.

As I've said before, though... I didn't find many pro mechanics who could do decent labor on a wbx around SLC anyway, so it was already a bastard child that I had to maintain. I haven't had any reason to take it to the shop since the conversion because all it's needed were oil changes, but I really believe that if I had to have it worked on I would have a much easier time finding a mechanic who knew his/her way around the engine (once I show them where the OBD-II connection is). I know it's easier to round up parts... as long as I can tell the auto parts store the year, make, & model of the car the engine came from.

Like I said, I'm not against the WBXer but it will always be a quirky engine. I guess that's part of it's appeal, too. I agree that a new injection/engine management solution would be a great improvement, but it doesn't get rid of the push rod tubes which are prone to leaking and are simply a holdover from when they had to circulate air under the cylinders, and it doesn't deal will all the funky plumbing that came from adapting a water jacket to an air cooled engine design.

WRT mileage: my conversion may get a couple extra mpg... I can't recall what the 2.1 did exactly... but nobody could ever justify a gasoline engine conversion based on the fuel savings, because they are just not that significant. It's a giant metal box... how you drive has a lot more effect on mileage than what internal combustion engine is in back, assuming the engine is tuned and running at peak efficiency.

Paul
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volksaholic wrote:

WRT mileage: my conversion may get a couple extra mpg... I can't recall what the 2.1 did exactly... but nobody could ever justify a gasoline engine conversion based on the fuel savings, because they are just not that significant. It's a giant metal box... how you drive has a lot more effect on mileage than what internal combustion engine is in back, assuming the engine is tuned and running at peak efficiency.

Paul

Well said, Paul. I completely concur. Around town I wouldn't say a Subaru conversion is any more economical than a 4 speed wasserboxer. It might get 1-2 mpg better on the highway in the best conditions, but I've actually always found the wbx to get very decent highway mileage - at least a 4 speed wbx. With the highway rpms these vans cruise at, I think much more than 21-22mpg is not likely no matter whose gas engine is powering it.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gnarly 928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="D Clymer"]
Volksaholic wrote:

Well said, Paul. I completely concur. Around town I wouldn't say a Subaru conversion is any more economical than a 4 speed wasserboxer. It might get 1-2 mpg better on the highway in the best conditions, but I've actually always found the wbx to get very decent highway mileage - at least a 4 speed wbx. With the highway rpms these vans cruise at, I think much more than 21-22mpg is not likely no matter whose gas engine is powering it.

David

I see statements all the time from people who have lots of credibility on the lists citing 17-19mpg as normal for a WBX motor. I agree that how you drive is the main factor in what mileage you will get from a vehicle as boxy as a Vanagon. So a WBX van spend a lot of time at 50-65mph, making aero-drag less than if you drive at 75mph, uphill and down, all day long....like many do in vans with better motors.

For a test, I held the speed of my 1.8liter inline VW motored van to 55 for two full tanks. One fill up saw almost 26miles per gallon, one was only 25.5mpg. When I get blasting down the interstate at 75...my fuel consumption goes up to 21.x mpg. Overall, in the past 3 yrs I have averaged out (~50k miles driven) at 23.3mpg with the inline motor. And I don't drive slow..

So the old '92 Rabbit motor beats the WBX on fuel by 23.6 minus say...18....that is 5.6 miles per gallon better...Pretty significant. If I drove at WBXer speed, you could advantage that up to 6 or 7 mpg better than the original motors get.

I can also replace the whole motor for the cost of a gasket set on the WBX....well, that might be exaggerating some... but ~$300 is the going price for complete inline VW gassers..
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, over a million water-cooled T3 vehicles were built from 81-92. About half of those were diesels.

I'm sure I listed a breakdown by engine types not too long ago.

Mark

Ahwahnee wrote:
I'll take my chances with the free market system and keep the WBX.

P.S. Can any tell me how many water-cooled Vanagons were built?
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
... less than satisfying Digifant fuel injection system ...

not sure what you mean here

are you comparing it to today's FI systems? or what?
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:
D Clymer wrote:
... less than satisfying Digifant fuel injection system ...

not sure what you mean here

are you comparing it to today's FI systems? or what?

I was referring mostly to the number of finicky components used by the Digifant system such as the throttle switch, the coolant temperature sensor, and the MAFS. These are all components that either need replacement or adjustment much more often than average. Digifant is also very sensitive to vacuum leaks and the system gets fooled into running lean when leaks are present. Initial throttle response from a stop is poor with Digifant. I owned a Digifant II GTI in the 1990s and it was dramatic how much less performance that engine had than the earlier CIS injected VWs I'd had with the same basic 1.8 liter engine.

Comparing all these aspects to the excellent functionality of the Subaru EFI system is what inspired that comment. I can't help but think how much stronger of a performer a WBX would be with a standard Bosch Motronic system.

David
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="gnarly 928"]
D Clymer wrote:
Volksaholic wrote:

David

I see statements all the time from people who have lots of credibility on the lists citing 17-19mpg as normal for a WBX motor. I agree that how you drive is the main factor in what mileage you will get from a vehicle as boxy as a Vanagon. So a WBX van spend a lot of time at 50-65mph, making aero-drag less than if you drive at 75mph, uphill and down, all day long....like many do in vans with better motors.

For a test, I held the speed of my 1.8liter inline VW motored van to 55 for two full tanks. One fill up saw almost 26miles per gallon, one was only 25.5mpg. When I get blasting down the interstate at 75...my fuel consumption goes up to 21.x mpg. Overall, in the past 3 yrs I have averaged out (~50k miles driven) at 23.3mpg with the inline motor. And I don't drive slow..

So the old '92 Rabbit motor beats the WBX on fuel by 23.6 minus say...18....that is 5.6 miles per gallon better...Pretty significant. If I drove at WBXer speed, you could advantage that up to 6 or 7 mpg better than the original motors get.

I can also replace the whole motor for the cost of a gasket set on the WBX....well, that might be exaggerating some... but ~$300 is the going price for complete inline VW gassers..

A 4 speed wbx Vanagon 2wd will get about 20.5 mpg at 70 and as much as 23 mpg at 55-60 mph. The 21-22 mpg I was estimating was for traveling at 70 mph with traffic down the freeway. At those speeds and 4000 rpms I haven't heard of any gas conversions doing much better than that. It sounds like your own mileage findings are in the same ballpark.

FWIW, and just as an aside, my Vanagon with a special 2.1 wasserboxer with 10.5:1 euro pistons got 25.5 mpg on two tankfuls traveling through Glacier Park at speeds of 55-65 mph. On the rest of the trip it was 21.5-22 at a typical speed of 75. The automatic wbxs get crappy mileage, but the 4 speed ones are quite good.

David
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all my trips across country I have always averaged right at the 20.5-21 mpg range and the funny thing is that's full loaded or not, at altitude or not. I can't do much better but I never do worse.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: