Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stigma attached to the WBX?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tschroeder0 wrote:
In all my trips across country I have always averaged right at the 20.5-21 mpg range and the funny thing is that's full loaded or not, at altitude or not. I can't do much better but I never do worse.

That's about in the ballpark of what I've gotten with every VW van I've ever driven, with the exception of some legs of a PNW trip in my brother's 6cyl Eurovan. On those legs I was trying to make time, doing 80-85mph, and dropped the mileage to 17 or 18mpg. There was also a rocket box on top... I generally try to keep things off the roof of the van. I've got the figures from our trip to CA in the '88 with the 2.1wbx somewhere, but if they deviated much from the 20-21mpg range it would stick in my head. By contrast, the EJ25 is getting me about 20-22mpg, with a couple weeks where I averaged 24mpg over 3 tanks. The last 3 months I haven't been topping the tank because it leaks at the filler tube donut, so I don't have good figures since the weather turned cold. I suspect that folks getting 17-19 avg either need to tune their engines or could lighten up on the driving habits because I think either a 1.9 or 2.1 stock engine should be able to do better than that.

Paul
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think of my WBX as having a stigma...it's ok. nothing great though. it's without a doubt the weakest link in my vehicle overall.

coolant loss due to head corrosion ? that's ridiculous. but on day 3 of ownership I was doing head gaskets. as of today I'm on my second water pump in 3 years, because the wp shaft is so short and only has one bearing, the alt/wp belt needs to be a tad too tight due to the minimal contact on the crank pulley so the wp shaft gets worn out too fast.

aside from the corroding heads, the coolant system is overcomplicated, I've had more problems with it than any other car I've owned. probably more than any car my mom as owned as well and of course she's been driving 30 years more than I have ! Laughing

add to that all the NLA parts and sure people are gonna start looking at swaps. never mind that the VW world is filled with people who LOVE to experiment. thankfully.

I'm not over anxious to do the swap, but I'll do a swap before I sell the vehicle. and I do think when swap time comes it'll be a better functioning vehicle. I will feel more comfortable adding power steering and air conditioning. as it is I feel like I'd be sacrificing HP I need just to keep it moving down the road. I mean under 100HP is enough to get me where I need to go ok, and my engine is running fine. but there's not alot of headroom.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
onwardtothestars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vango Conversions wrote:
The WBX is a great engine if you don't mind, always having to top up the oil, changing head gaskets, staying in the slow lane, going up hills with your foot on the floor and getting passed by 18 wheelers, and getting horrible MPG.

For some reason even my tired Syncro's 2.1 still has enough power to pass the 18 wheelers going up I-70 West.

I dont imagine I even get below 55mph and the only time I'm driving that way she's fully loaded with camping gear.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither of my WBX vans has ever wanted for more power, as I've consistently flogged the beasts hard and often, and always but always, in the left lane. They've never used much oil, and not so much as a single headgasket, either. I sold the first van to my BIL over a decade ago, and all he's done since then is routine maintenance.

Even though I'm not much of a fan of the quirky little knuckleheads, in my anecdotal world it's WBX = 2, Haterz = 0

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onwardtothestars wrote:
Vango Conversions wrote:
The WBX is a great engine if you don't mind, always having to top up the oil, changing head gaskets, staying in the slow lane, going up hills with your foot on the floor and getting passed by 18 wheelers, and getting horrible MPG.

For some reason even my tired Syncro's 2.1 still has enough power to pass the 18 wheelers going up I-70 West.

I dont imagine I even get below 55mph and the only time I'm driving that way she's fully loaded with camping gear.

Same. WBX powered Vanagons may not be quick, but they perform surprisingly well out on the open road. Anyone who thinks a wbx powered Vanagon slows right down on highway grades either hasn't driven one, or is exaggerating.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's obvious that some people have had some pretty bad luck with their wbx'er but I often wonder what the root cause is? Is it truly a bad design or is it the lack of any maintenance for god knows how many years while it was sitting in someone's back yard?

Over the years of getting to know the quirks I now find myself incredibly confident that i can drive anywhere anytime of the year and fix whatever may come up...and what has come up is very little over the course of 11 years. And I have done just that.
I have been stranded exactly 2 times. The first was my own stupid fault efin' with the hall sender wires when on the road (don't ever do this)

the second was my transmission.

I figured out the other day that in those years I have put roughly 70-80,000 miles on in cross county trips and then there is the daily driving...
a lot more miles in summer and winter.

I also believe that there are a heck of a lot of people that hardly ever drive their stock vans and then when it's time to roll on a long anticpated trip, another simple thing that should have been delt with a long time ago stops them. They gett pissed and shell out a big amount of $ for a swap.

This is the best reason I have heard for a swap; those people who only drive their van for trips and otherwise it's parked. I also think that they will run into similar problems down the line with whatever powerplant they choose. These van like to be driven and the more you drive them they better they seem to run.

I have considered swaps but man, now with so many doing them I can drive down the road about 5 miles in 2 different directions here in boulder and pick up somene's "old" wbxer from Verner's or Wild westy's for almost nuthin and bam! I'm back crusing for a long time.

Plus, over time, and while still on the road with the van I have slowly picked up all those things that harbor the most bugs and replaced them (wiring harness,TB,TC's new vacuum switch,etc...) so as far as economical driving goes, for the overall cost my wbxer's have been pretty sweet.

To each their own, but to call them junk is silly, my next trip with mine will be to Costa Rica- gasp!
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tschroeder0 wrote:
It's obvious that some people have had some pretty bad luck with their wbx'er but I often wonder what the root cause is? Is it truly a bad design or is it the lack of any maintenance for god knows how many years while it was sitting in someone's back yard?

My WBXer was running like a champ... about 125k original miles on her, only took some minor tweaks after I took possession of the van to get her purring like a champ. We did 2 trips from SLC to Moab and one from SLC to CA in 2007 with 2 adults, 4 teens, and camping gear/trailer. I was using the van as my nearly daily driver. The engine was plenty strong to haul the family, although there were a few freeway hills that required a drop to 3rd gear. On December 18, 2007, at 5:30 AM and about 5 degrees F. outside temperature, she blew all her oil out of the block to oil cooler seal. I shut her down, pulled into a 7-11, put a couple of quarts in, eased her back out onto the road, and the oil light came back on. I limped her into another parking lot and had her towed home, but the damage was already done. I guess that's my fault for not keeping up on the service bulletins that would have told me that seal was flawed... I didn't find out that was a known weak link until after it broke. I'm sure it would have been okay, too, if I had towed it home the first time it lost oil instead of seeing if it would hold enough to get back on the road. I replaced the seal and all the goofy little hoses that go to the cooler, but the engine had a knock that was getting worse so it was decision time on whether to go stock or modernize.

I'm very pleased with my decision. With a 15' sailboat (about 500lbs) trailered, a 17' sea kayak on the roof, loaded for camping and sailing, and pulling the grade at Parley's Summit (I-80) she flew. I still had to drop to 3rd at one point so I could accelerate from 70mph to about 80mph to pass someone without cutting off the guy in the left lane. With the WBXer I would have been content to do 60 mph or so and just hang back... which is good because there's no way it would have had power to accelerate in that situation.

So my anecdotal experience: WBX=.5 (I'll give it credit for trying), EJ25=2 (one for running, one for a sweet, modern design and power to spare).

I still don't think it's an inherently bad design, but I don't see the equivalent of "Vanagon syndrome" electrical problems, "replace your fuel lines" warnings, thread after thread about goofy cooling system stuff like the bleeder loop or blown H pipes and coolant towers on the Subaru sites. It's true that any car should have its fuel lines replaced when it gets old, but the WBXer uses so much rubber compared to the Subaru's steel fuel & injector rails. There are so many extraneous coolant hoses & such to replace as part of "routine maintenance", not to mention that replacing the H-pipe (1.9L) or coolant tower (2.1L) should be considered routine maintenance. They both have similar reputations for head gasket problems, with both having some folks with early failures and some who get 200k+ miles on the original gaskets. So if that's "stigmatizing" the engine... I'm guilty. I don't hate it, I just wish VW had continued to refine it so we could be talking about swapping in a modern VW boxer instead of a better boxer built in Japan.

pd
syncrosimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the biggest fan of the WBX, I drive usually with the window open locally so I can hear that great little mill of an engine purring away out the back.

When I was a kid my dad had a building business and had a fleet of Vanagons. We had Caravelle's as well as I have 4 brothers and sisters. My dad had a total of 5 new ones, and each was traded in at 130,000 miles. The breakdowns that I remember were a plastic coolant hose union snapping, and a ignition amplification module heading south. There was never a mechanical breakdown with the engine, but we did have a recon gearbox at 100,000 on one of the vehicles.

The only engine failure we had in nearly 800,000 miles of wbx ing was on a second hand syncro my dad bought back in 1990, it had been worked on by a home mechanic who had replaced the water pump, this had a leaky headgasket and we bought a new engine, which went on for 110,000 miles until my dad crashed it at speed on the motorway!

You just have to accept that engines which are old and have been tampered with are not going to be reliable, whatever brand. Any replacement engine is going to be better simply because it is newer. Most swap out there engines because they have to due to poor running and a new engine is going to be way better, no matter how good the wbx was when it was new.

My engine is on around 40,000 miles now. I really dont know what I will do when it does come to the end. Probably attempt a home rebuild, then without a tencent over here go for a sensible subi.
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also a fan of the original Flat water cooled 2.1 and believe that it can be a reliable engine if built properly and well maintained. It is an old design and will always lose to more modern engine designs but I bought my T3 Syncro 16 because it's old and there's nothing else like it.

The biggest hike in power I've seen on these engines is by bolting on a set of 1.4:1 ratio rockers. Power went up 11 bhp from this alone!

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming from a full westy air cooled Vanagon, my 86 WBX Westfalia Weekender feels fine!

Still some day, I'll do an engine conversion, but the VWoA factory it came with keeps going. I agree with poster who listed the prices of key parts. heck, replacing plastic manifolds, t-stat housings (with metal) & hoses is a down payment on the conversion. I also agree that the cooling system is overly complicated and it too has been my source of problems almost making me wish I had the 81 back, forgetting about the trauma trying to merge off uphill on-ramps.

As far as leaking heads go, a friend of mine said, why not just pull them ahead of time and do the job as maintenance? Of course, tasks like that are simple for him, still he has a point. I'd like a conversion so I could put them in the van and let them take an extended travel while I work, flying out to join them out west for a few weeks. I'd also like the power for kayak's on top, trailer in back.

Lot's of good points made on this thread - both pro and con.

John
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samba --> Vanagon/Eurovan:

Offbrand = 2109
Volkswagen = 657
Vanagon conversion sub-forum = 0

y u rune klassik?
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The WBXer curse.

My WBXer won't die.

I drive it too fast.
I haul and tow too much weight.
I run it low on oil.. then over fill it.
I lug it.
I rev it too high.
I put crappy gas in it.
Either I try and drive like Shumacher.. or pretend I'm in the 1000.
I procrastinate on routine maintenance.
It has an exhuast leak that I can't/won't fix.
I buy oversized tires, it sits 3" higher than stock... but I will drive it at 70mph on the FWY..
I DIDN'T CHNAGE MY FUEL LINES!

STILL.. It gets 20mpg on the HWY
It passes CA emissions with a 12 yr old cat... and 175k on the clock.
People make cash offers.. complete strangers on the street.

<sigh>
..it just won't die.

The curse.

Merry Christmas everybody.
Very Happy

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If VW would have warrantied the problems with these rigs instead of forcing people to live with them or go elsewhere to find answers I would have a better attitude towards the WBX and VOA, but they didn't. Our Multi suffered from the cold weather variant of Vanagon Syndrome and VW refused to fix it because we couldn't make it happen when driving around the block at the dealership. They admitted that it was a well known problem but they just wouldn't fix it. Of course we couldn't make it happen at the dealer as it only happened when driving at sustained highways speeds for at least 20 miles at temperatures below 20°F. We are about 70 miles from the airport and this meant that we would have to pull over and let the heat soak into the FI two or three times for ten minutes when trying to make an early morning winters flight. Real fun if the temperatures are 5° out and the wind is so strong it is lifting water from the river and adding a 1/4 inch of ice to the side of your rig each minute, very kind of VW to put us through this. Couple this with crap like the oil cooler o-ring failure which any decent company would have fixed for free and the dozens of things that can leak and you have a pretty questionable product.

The number of complaints VW got about these engines eventually skyrocketed to the point that VW began replacing them for free when they failed, even years and hundreds of thousands of mile after the warranty ran out. Had they notified owners that they would do this, it would be a plus for VOA, instead they only replaced engines where the customer came in and complained bitterly. By the time our heads started leaking and the rod bolt stretch became a problem I had long given up on trying to deal with as corrupt a company as VOA. I had complained constantly about the various problems we had had with our 1 owner Vanagon and had taken it in for warranty work repeatedly with no satisfaction except to make the VW mechanics waste some of their time. Eventually I figured out how to fix or at least do jury rig repairs to all the problems we were having, so didn't even think to go to the dealer and complain when the heads started dripping and later when the oil pressure began to drop.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few Syncros with the stock waterboxer still going strong.
Not the fastest vehicle by any means, but those 2.1s really do last after they have been sealed up properly and serviced regularly.
When they gernade, I put in Subaru engines, but until that point...

Long live the waterboxer.

dylan
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Offbrand = 2109
Volkswagen = 657

Is this coming from the guy who fills up threads with meaningless pics of non-VW/non-Vanagon conversion pics and Audi and Mercedes ads?

Paul
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine conversions, as far as I can tell, are just the tuning world of the Vanagons. I've had a few Splits and Beetles in the past, right now I still have a '74 Thing and a '65 Beetle. The Beetle is equipped with a 2387. The Thing will soon be seeing a warmed-up 2.0 Type IV. When I eventually found myself with a water cooled Vanagon the first thing I did was come on here researching camshafts. Well I hate to break it to you people, but your aftermarket sucks. The biggest, baddest, highest evolution of it is a "kit," of all things, with a whopping 125hp. Really? No one on here bickers about camshafts. There is no talk of exhaust scavenging. Newbies are told to change their fuel lines, not to go with 1.25:1 rockers and a 4-1 collector. It's no wonder I have an SVX with a blown tranny in Moms driveway.

This is a hobby for me, no VW has ever been my daily driver. I'm not looking for the perfect motor, and I'm not looking to get rid of that 2.1 POS. I'm looking for upgrades, and fun, and cool parts, and my fix. Pick up an issue of Hot VW's. How many stock motors do you find there? Not many, so how can I be expected to be happy with just new fuel lines? Ain't gonna happen.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volksaholic wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Offbrand = 2109
Volkswagen = 657

Is this coming from the guy who fills up threads with meaningless pics of non-VW/non-Vanagon conversion pics and Audi and Mercedes ads?

Paul

Whaaa...?

y u rune klassik?
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iltis74 wrote:
Engine conversions, as far as I can tell, are just the tuning world of the Vanagons. I've had a few Splits and Beetles in the past, right now I still have a '74 Thing and a '65 Beetle. The Beetle is equipped with a 2387. The Thing will soon be seeing a warmed-up 2.0 Type IV. When I eventually found myself with a water cooled Vanagon the first thing I did was come on here researching camshafts. Well I hate to break it to you people, but your aftermarket sucks. The biggest, baddest, highest evolution of it is a "kit," of all things, with a whopping 125hp. Really? No one on here bickers about camshafts. There is no talk of exhaust scavenging. Newbies are told to change their fuel lines, not to go with 1.25:1 rockers and a 4-1 collector. It's no wonder I have an SVX with a blown tranny in Moms driveway.

This is a hobby for me, no VW has ever been my daily driver. I'm not looking for the perfect motor, and I'm not looking to get rid of that 2.1 POS. I'm looking for upgrades, and fun, and cool parts, and my fix. Pick up an issue of Hot VW's. How many stock motors do you find there? Not many, so how can I be expected to be happy with just new fuel lines? Ain't gonna happen.

What's the point in relation to the thread Question
#Sleep

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VisPacem wrote:
What's the point in relation to the thread

Well, let's see, from the original post-

seabeesMCB9 wrote:
There are more posts every day inquiring into engine swaps and I was wondering why.

Then there is me-

iltis74 wrote:
Engine conversions, as far as I can tell, are just the tuning world of the Vanagons.

It may only be my take on it, but then I only speak for myself. Few people are throwing Subaru motors in their Beetles because with all the people producing aftermarket heads, cams, cases, etc., there is little need. Try and do the same thing to your waterboxer, you'll find you are for the most part alone. Performance aftermarkets are not solely for drag racing, they are for upgrading, changing, having fun with. I don't see much difference in my looking between the 1.8T and the SVX as too very different from trying to decide what fuel injection the Beetle is going to run next summer.

Maybe the thread changed course over four pages, I only skimmed through after the first.
wenholzm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my WBX in a '85 Westy for one year. I had been lurking around these threads for a while and the only reason I bought was with the knowledge that I would/could convert to Subaru, since the WBX was so old.
One year later and 12,000 miles with my WBX, I am very happy with my little engine, Never left me on the road, I have had issues, but the engine is tight and does what I expect. Hills are an issue as everyone knows, but beyond that it is great. I will keep as long as it gets me where I want to go, if I can 100K out of this little engine, all the better.

Can we just be happy with the engine we are with?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: