Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CLK wheels
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
ok, just making sure, as most of the other merc wheels have to have the center hole bored for hub clearance. Good hunting!

Tips that are posted earlier in the thread- make sure you search for Mercedes wheels without the CLK filter (how I found mine) and whole wrecked cars, that's where I've seen them locally since.

Also tip, you can 'pipe' and 'exclude' searches too. For example, this is what I search in craigslist

mercedes wheels | mercedes rims | clk | amg -Financing

I had to add the -financing part because there is a ridiculous amount of "New wholesale" rims ads on craigslist.
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels and need to Drill Reply with quote

I ran some searches and haven't seen it in this thread. I recently did a stud conversion on my MB. My question that was nagging is why drill the CLK wheels? If they were designed as 12x1.5 studs, and the Van (like my current MB) run 14x1.5 lug bolts, I took a shot at an adapter stud conversion and sure enough:
https://motorsporthardware.com/product/adapter-stu...-5-12x1-5/

These are the guys that the Bimmer and MB folks use for conversions.
Soooo...rather than drill out wheels, is there any reason using this conversion stepped down to 12x1.5 wouldn't work?? Putting aside the cost difference Smile

And this adapter kit seems fairly available, stepping down from 14x1.5 to the hub and into 12x1.5 for the wheel.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Are you not wanting to drill the lug holes because you want to keep them stock to go back on a Mercedes later? I don't see what angle you are getting at with not getting the right drill bit from T3Technique, and the other (suggested) proper hardware from him too. Keep in mind that the Vanagon is a heavy rig, built to haul an extra Ton on top of its curb weight... Seems like a good safety margin keeping the 14's
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

I just drilled. the bit was like 15 bucks shipped. Compared to the 100-114...
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Drill, baby, drill! Twisted Evil

Not that I've done it yet, but I'm cheap, so...yeah. Wink
Still looking for a cheap clean set of CLK's on clearance... Laughing Embarassed Cool

- Dave

PS: Do what you want...it's your van... <shrug>

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Are you not wanting to drill the lug holes because you want to keep them stock to go back on a Mercedes later? I don't see what angle you are getting at with not getting the right drill bit from T3Technique, and the other (suggested) proper hardware from him too. Keep in mind that the Vanagon is a heavy rig, built to haul an extra Ton on top of its curb weight... Seems like a good safety margin keeping the 14's

Woah there, nothing about T3. I love T3. I just placed an order with him this morning. I am merely exploring other options. And to raise a point that it may be possible to run the CLKs without drilling, and yes, to preserve potential resale options back to an MB crowd. My bad if it came across any other way. Sometimes we get so committed to one way of doing things that alternatives may get overlooked. Anyways...
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Just a heads up... The market for clk wheels is larger here than the MB community.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
Just a heads up... The market for clk wheels is larger here than the MB community.

This is funny, yes, many MB folks consider the '98-'00 CLK rims downright ugly. I've heard stories where someone offered an owner/driver of one of these CLKs to trade him for another set, no $'s required. Just put his rubber on the trade rims, and off he went with the Vanagon's new rims...
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels and need to Drill Reply with quote

Vnyd Dog wrote:
I ran some searches and haven't seen it in this thread. I recently did a stud conversion on my MB. My question that was nagging is why drill the CLK wheels? If they were designed as 12x1.5 studs, and the Van (like my current MB) run 14x1.5 lug bolts, I took a shot at an adapter stud conversion and sure enough:
https://motorsporthardware.com/product/adapter-stu...-5-12x1-5/

These are the guys that the Bimmer and MB folks use for conversions.
Soooo...rather than drill out wheels, is there any reason using this conversion stepped down to 12x1.5 wouldn't work?? Putting aside the cost difference Smile

And this adapter kit seems fairly available, stepping down from 14x1.5 to the hub and into 12x1.5 for the wheel.

This solution also doesn't work because Syncros have pressed studs and so does the Vanagon in rear drums.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Ah, well then, there is but one answer:
dhaavers wrote:
Drill, baby, drill! Twisted Evil >

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

$350: set of CLK rims, plus a free BMW in Spartanburg, SC.

1985 Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.3 Sedan 4D with CLK rims.

Runs and Drives. Automatic. 162,000+ miles. Includes CLK Rims. Has Heat/AC. Interior/Exterior needs cleaning. Battery needs recharging. NO TITLE. (Serious Buyers Only). No Trades. AS IS. Cash only

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2316037971762308?surface=product_details

If I was closer I would buy this. Go get em boys.
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Nice, buy the car, swap the wheels, donate the car, take a charitable tax deduction= Free CLK wheels!
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Here's a set.....for $2900... Laughing
https://monterey.craigslist.org/cto/d/seaside-mercadies-clk/6782852355.html
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

socal area?

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/wto/d/seal-beach-vanagon-syncro-clk-16-rims/6794169918.html

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
socal area?

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/wto/d/seal-beach-vanagon-syncro-clk-16-rims/6794169918.html

Those are in really poor shape.
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:
socal area?

Those are in really poor shape.

Yeah I traded emails with that joker. His customer service leaves much to be desired and yes when he finally did send the pics I asked for the wheels are really chewed up. He only had two so I’m holding for now.
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

While we are discussing CLK forged wheels, what have others found to be the best way to restore them? Tank strip? Paint remover? Blast and polish? Thoughts? Looking for an original finish not prep for paint or powder coating.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

toomanyveedubs wrote:
While we are discussing CLK forged wheels, what have others found to be the best way to restore them? Tank strip? Paint remover? Blast and polish? Thoughts? Looking for an original finish not prep for paint or powder coating.

Blasting would roughen up the finish too much. You would need to strip off the clear coat, repolish then reclear.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Ahh, yes. Here they are again..

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/wto/d/schererville-merceded-benz-wheels-and/6803515212.html
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Those look good! Anyone in the area to be my agent, take possession, and ship over? Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Jump to:
Page 54 of 66

Jump to: