Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CLK wheels
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

WestleyTheWesty wrote:
Hey Guillaume it's Darin!

Have you talked to Tony Cruthers at Motorsport Tire and Wheel? He fixed up the road rash on our Mercedes wheels and might have ideas or suggestions for aluminum. Also check with Shane @livethevanlife on IG) and see how he painted his CLKs.

Great distance camping with y'all last weekend!

Great weekend indeed! I forgot about Tony actually, thanks for the reminder!
- Transaxle rebuild, Mexico paint job, Front end rebuild, 320Ah LiFePO4 Battery
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Guillaume and Jennifer! This is just my opinion/take on the subject, but if those wheels were mine, I would:

Clean them well with soap and water, then clean them well with degreaser.
Strip the clear powder coating off with aircraft stripper (nasty stuff, but very effective)
File and sand the rough lip areas smooth, then sand the entire wheel surface with 220 grit.
Fill in any deep pits with JB weld, ten sand smooth down to 220 grit.
Spray the entire wheel with a light coat of acid etch primer (Upol Acid #8 is good for this).
Add a little rattle can epoxy filler primer (Upol High #5 is excellent) over the entire wheel, concentrating a little on more on the rough areas.
Sand everything smooth to 320 grit, then use VHT Epoxy Satin Black in a rattle can.
So if you are in the mood you can save yourself a ton of money. And if you take your time, the results will look just as good as powder coating and will be very durable. And if you ever have to touch them up, it's pretty easy to do (unlike powder coating).

Wow Christopher, thanks for the detailed step-by-step recipe!

Question for you, do you suggest doing all these steps instead of media-blasting because of cost?

We have someone we know who might give us a good deal on the blasting part. If that's the case I feel like having him do some of the heavy lifting would be worth it. Then I can focus on the fixes, drilling to 37/64", JBweld and prep/sanding once I pick them up. Let us know if there's another reason.

We plan on having these wheels be matte black. Powder coating seems like the ideal solution for durability, but as you mentioned, not if it ends up needing to be fixed (and we're not afraid to scuff up our van).

Will paint end up chipping away on forest and washboard roads where powder coating might not? If that's the case, I'd probably rather have them powder coated. Otherwise I do like the paint idea for simple touch-ups. I just wouldn't want to have to do it all the time.

On a slightly different subject, we're about to rebuild our front end, which means a significant order is coming your way Christopher. I want to add some lug nuts that would fit the CLK wheels (we just bought 25 large ball lug nuts from you, ha!). I understand that the CLK wheels use the small ball lug nuts, but I'm still not sure about the 17mm vs 19mm. Ideally, 19mm would be great to match the front clamshell and OE tools, but not a dealbreaker of course. Do you happen to carry them already coated black?

Lastly, my uncle sent me a bunch of photos of the wheels. They are in rougher shape then I originally thought but still plenty salvageable I think. Here are a bunch of images:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Ah, bummer! I didn't see that those are chromed when i made my original comment. The problem is that corrosion has gotten under the chrome which is causing it to flake off. Stripping the chrome off is a bit on the expensive side and they have to be sent to a chrome shop to do that. The chrome that is still stuck cannot be blasted off. It has to come off via chemical operations.

In that light, and assuming you don't want to send the wheels out to have the chrome stripped off, I would recommend an operation similar to what I already described. The only real difference is that you will need to skip the step about the chemical stripper and move to having the wheels blasted. Blasting the wheels will remove a lot of the flaking chrome and a lot of the corrosion. The issue you will face is that everywhere the chrome if flaking there will be a ridge the thickness of the copper/nickel/chrome plating. After the acid etch step, you could get a product like Evercoat Metal Glaze (a thin filler product made to fill minor imperfections and sands easily) and use it to fill and feather in the ridged areas. I would still use JB weld on the gouges on the lip though. That lip sees a lot of abuse when the tires are mounted/dismounted and standard filler just isn't strong enough. Once you have the gnarly areas filled in, then you can proceed with the filler primer, sanding smooth, etc.

I'll answer your email you send in a bit.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Ah, bummer! I didn't see that those are chromed when i made my original comment. The problem is that corrosion has gotten under the chrome which is causing it to flake off. Stripping the chrome off is a bit on the expensive side and they have to be sent to a chrome shop to do that. The chrome that is still stuck cannot be blasted off. It has to come off via chemical operations.

In that light, and assuming you don't want to send the wheels out to have the chrome stripped off, I would recommend an operation similar to what I already described. The only real difference is that you will need to skip the step about the chemical stripper and move to having the wheels blasted. Blasting the wheels will remove a lot of the flaking chrome and a lot of the corrosion. The issue you will face is that everywhere the chrome if flaking there will be a ridge the thickness of the copper/nickel/chrome plating. After the acid etch step, you could get a product like Evercoat Metal Glaze (a thin filler product made to fill minor imperfections and sands easily) and use it to fill and feather in the ridged areas. I would still use JB weld on the gouges on the lip though. That lip sees a lot of abuse when the tires are mounted/dismounted and standard filler just isn't strong enough. Once you have the gnarly areas filled in, then you can proceed with the filler primer, sanding smooth, etc.

I'll answer your email you send in a bit.

Thanks again for all the info Chris. I've forwarded it to my uncle and his "blasting" friend. I'd love to hear his opinion about it. In any case, it looks like it's definitely more work than I originally anticipated. If I had a CV for every time I said that about the Vanagon... Razz
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Wait.... you WANT perfect wheels for your Vanagon? Damn.. I've been running down the wrong rabbit warren, I guess. Just to be clear, there are as limited number of these rims as there are Vanagons sold... its just math, and time.

Got these cheap and they were in good shape, they are still around Wink
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

SweeeeeT!!
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Show off Razz

My uncle started blasting one of the wheels. Just as with everything Vanagon related, seems like more work than anticipated!

“Sandblasted 1 wheel yesterday.  Finding a place to strip the wheels may be problematic, I’ll make some more calls the next day or 2.  Also, the one wheel we chose has had a repair done, which seems ok, but something to be aware of.  I’m busy the next couple hours, I’ll check in later.”

idle_snail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

My wheels looked the same. Chrome peeling off. I found a shop in Oshkosh, NE that can strip the chrome plating. They’re charging me $100/wheel. I live close enough (230 miles) to drop off/pick up to save on shipping. I should have them back this week. My intent is to have them anodized.

Edit: Smitty’s Chrome Plating is the shop doing the stripping.

I’ll check back in later this week with the result of stripping the chrome plating.

snail. 🐌
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Anodizing could be cool. Are you planning to leave that as the finish?

Think of anodizing like a stain, the wheel finish prior to anodizing must be consistent. Smooth as can be, no scratches, no imperfections.
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

idle_snail wrote:
My wheels looked the same. Chrome peeling off. I found a shop in Oshkosh, NE that can strip the chrome plating. They’re charging me $100/wheel. I live close enough (230 miles) to drop off/pick up to save on shipping. I should have them back this week. My intent is to have them anodized.
snail. 🐌

You have probably already talked to them but I had all the parts for two jalousie windows anodized at S&S Anodizing north of Denver off I-76.
They were easy to work with and not too expensive.

Also, I used this to open up the holes.

You(or anyone else local) are welcome to use it. Worked great on the alloy wheels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
idle_snail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:

Think of anodizing like a stain, the wheel finish prior to anodizing must be consistent. Smooth as can be, no scratches, no imperfections.

My understanding is the better the finish (polish) the more the anodizing will have a shine. If I have the wheels blasted or etched before anodizing the anodizing will have a matte finish. The glossy anodized finish will be easier to care for then the matte and that’s my goal.

snail. 🐌
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
idle_snail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

mtnhome wrote:
idle_snail wrote:
snail. 🐌

You have probably already talked to them but I had all the parts for two jalousie windows anodized at S&S Anodizing north of Denver off I-76.
They were easy to work with and not too expensive.

You(or anyone else local) are welcome to use it. Worked great on the alloy wheels.

Yes! Of all the shops I called S&S Anodizing gave me a good price and pointed me to Smitty’s for the chrome removal. I plan on going with them and it great to hear your review. Their Google reviews leave a little to be desired, but on the phone they were awesome!

I can’t quite tell what tool that is in your photo. I haven’t enlarged the lug holes yet. I’m pretty OCD and I want it to be prefect. Keep telling myself close is good enough.

snail. 🐌
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

It a 37/64 reamer. I used this rather than a drill as it is used to bring holes to an exact diameter. With the multiple cutting edges, it cuts very clean and doesn't catch like a drill bit often will when opening up a hole. It also leaves a very smooth finish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

idle_snail wrote:
Wellington wrote:

My understanding is the better the finish (polish) the more the anodizing will have a shine. If I have the wheels blasted or etched before anodizing the anodizing will have a matte finish. The glossy anodized finish will be easier to care for then the matte and that’s my goal.

What i believe he was trying to say is that aluminum corrosion pictured is going to take refinishing just to address the pock marks that will be evident. Aluminum corrosion is an ugly thing.
idle_snail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
idle_snail wrote:
Wellington wrote:

What i believe he was trying to say is that aluminum corrosion pictured is going to take refinishing just to address the pock marks that will be evident. Aluminum corrosion is an ugly thing.

Yep. Removing the chrome plating is the first step. Addressing the corrosion is next. It can be sand, or whatever media, blasted and anodized for a matte finish or I can sand (320 grit) and polish the aluminum prior to anodizing for a glossy finish.

Trust me this is something I have spent countless hours on. Please don’t get hung up on my lack of typing, i.e. 320 grit or sand blasting. I understand the steps it takes to polish aluminum and it isn’t just a can of Mother’s Mag and Aluminum Polish.

snail. 🐌
idle_snail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

mtnhome wrote:
It a 37/64 reamer. I used this rather than a drill as it is used to bring holes to an exact diameter. With the multiple cutting edges, it cuts very clean and doesn't catch like a drill bit often will when opening up a hole. It also leaves a very smooth finish.

I’m sold! This definitely satisfies my OCD. Thank you! 👍

snail. 🐌
idle_snail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Before stripping (I cleaned up the wheel):

After stripping (same wheel):

This is the worse wheel of the four and will require the most work to polish before anodizing.

snail. 🐌
DeadSetMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

You(or anyone else local) are welcome to use it. Worked great on the alloy wheels.[/quote]

What is that tool called?
idle_snail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

DeadSetMonkey wrote:

What is that tool called?[/quote]

Reamer.

The one pictured is a chucking reamer intended for a drill or machine driving. There are hand readers as well.

I ordered the Michigan Drill 37/64 hand reamer 565 series.

snail. 🐌
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

I should have put this in before.
Got the reamer here: www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-chucking-reamer-hss-37-64/g9430

I just used a 1/2" drill, low speed with some cutting oil. The aluminum cuts very easily.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Jump to:
Page 59 of 66

Jump to: