Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CLK wheels
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

This is how much difference you're talking about when drilling the wheels. That's the start of a 37/64" redrill in a stock lug hole.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

My advice- just get the hardware and drill bit from t3techniques. Works a charm. Affordable. Supporting one of our core vendors. Winning.
http://t3technique.com/lug-nuts-studs-and-bolts/
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

So, yeah. A couple, two-three millimetres oughta do it. Can’t talk now, on my way to Tim Hortons.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Chris at T3 is great!
I've bought plenty of stuff and he's always a class act.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiltedhiker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

What is the Torque for the lug nuts on CLK's? 90#? Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiltedhiker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Changed my wheels and tires today

Old: Mefro with BFG KO2 215/75r15

New: CLK with BFG KO2 215/70r16

15" Mefro would not clear Burley big brake upgrade

Caps and VW logo from T3 (drill bit too)

Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

I finally secured a set, can I play with the cool guys now?

So question, anyone know if these will fit over my jag big brake set up with out a spacer? The rotor spaces the wheel out an additional 9.5mm.

And hardware is the R12 ball seat (14x1.5 of course) ?
<OR>
Instead of drilling the wheels: why not use a 12x1.5 press in rear stud (like ARP 100-7720- .580 knurl) and 14x1.5 to 12x1.5 conversion front studs and stock MB R12 Lug nuts? The 12x1.5 studs and lug nuts are such a more common size and much easier to get R12 ball seats too.
Westaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

For those in 'the know', where do you suggest to search for these wheels? I'm in need of one more and not having a lot of luck in my search. I watch craigslist, the local classifieds, ebay, etc and aside from the $300 refurbished ones on Ebay I can't find any single wheels at all.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Westaru wrote:
For those in 'the know', where do you suggest to search for these wheels? I'm in need of one more and not having a lot of luck in my search. I watch craigslist, the local classifieds, ebay, etc and aside from the $300 refurbished ones on Ebay I can't find any single wheels at all.

Found my set locally with a WTB (want to buy) ad on CL. You might do the same for singles or a cheap set on CL or FB Marketplace. Good luck!

Be sure to post a pic since there were a couple of different styles.
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Westaru wrote:

We found our 4 wheels from a junkyard in LA (we’re in Portland, OR). By the time I had my uncle grab them ($150 total, including taxes and tire dismount), brought to a chrome stripping place, blasted, powder coated and shipped (the powder coating shop charged us $20 per wheel for shipping), each wheel cost an additional $200 per wheel!!! Way more of a budget than we anticipated... but we are in the market for a 5th ET37 wheel.
- Transaxle rebuild, Mexico paint job, Front end rebuild, 320Ah LiFePO4 Battery
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Westaru wrote:

Found my set locally with a WTB (want to buy) ad on CL. You might do the same for singles or a cheap set on CL or FB Marketplace. Good luck!

Be sure to post a pic since there were a couple of different styles.

Thank you both, the WTB ad is a good idea.
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

I got a question about mounting hardware, due to the proximity of the center cap snout, do you have to have the 17mm lug heads or do 19mm still fit without socket interference with the center bore snout?

Thanks,
Rasta
SteveMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Westaru wrote:

$250 CAD or ~$195 USD. I have no affiliation with the ad or advertiser.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-pneus-jantes/ville-de-montreal/roues-mag-clk/1546285620
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:
I got a question about mounting hardware, due to the proximity of the center cap snout, do you have to have the 17mm lug heads or do 19mm still fit without socket interference with the center bore snout?

Thanks,
Rasta

With the 19mm lug nuts you use the thinner non-impact socket and it clears the snout.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:

Instead of drilling the wheels: why not use a 12x1.5 press in rear stud (like ARP 100-7720- .580 knurl) and 14x1.5 to 12x1.5 conversion front studs and stock MB R12 Lug nuts? The 12x1.5 studs and lug nuts are such a more common size and much easier to get R12 ball seats too.

Those conversion studs are incredibly weak. The wheels are being held onto the T3 hubs in a non-hubcentric manner. This puts all the stress on the studs. I have actually had a few customers do what you are suggesting (using 12mm mounting hardware) and all of them had issues with the studs breaking. It's just not a smart way to go.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Franklinstower wrote:

Those conversion studs are incredibly weak. The wheels are being held onto the T3 hubs in a non-hubcentric manner. This puts all the stress on the studs. I have actually had a few customers do what you are suggesting (using 12mm mounting hardware) and all of them had issues with the studs breaking. It's just not a smart way to go.

Thanks for tip Chris.
Any problems using a 14x1.5 to 14x1.5 conversion studs on the front? I think i have a set of those from my A6 Avant days...

And finally, I have a bunch of wheel hardware around from many many years VAG ownership. Are any of the VAG wheel hardware R12? What is the method to measure and verify what I have is indeed R12? Can you just measure the widest diameter of the Ball Seat and if it is 24mm that is a 12mm; 26 for a 13mm; and 28mm for a 14mm Ball Seat?

Thanks
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:
Christopher Schimke wrote:
Franklinstower wrote:

Thanks for tip Chris.
Any problems using a 14x1.5 to 14x1.5 conversion studs on the front? I think i have a set of those from my A6 Avant days...

And finally, I have a bunch of wheel hardware around from many many years VAG ownership. Are any of the VAG wheel hardware R12? What is the method to measure and verify what I have is indeed R12? Can you just measure the widest diameter of the Ball Seat and if it is 24mm that is a 12mm; 26 for a 13mm; and 28mm for a 14mm Ball Seat?

Thanks

Some of the M14x1.5 conversion studs on the market work well, but some don't. There are a couple of different concerns.

One concern is the amount of thread that engages into the hub. Many conversion studs including some being sold by Vanagon vendors, only engage 10-12mm. While this may work on steel hubs, it does not work well on cast iron hubs like the Vanagon has. I use to sell that type before i figured out how easy it is to strip the threads of the hub out. The studs I now offer engage between 15mm and 17mm, depending on the brand.

Another concern is that the thickness of the forged CLKs is pretty thin through the lug hole area and most conversion studs have some form of separation between threads for the hub and the threads of the lugs. This separation can vary from a few millimeters to over 40mm. In your case, you have the 9.5mm thickness of the Jag rotors so you don't have much to be concerned with, but I'm writing this in case someone with stock brakes reads it and realizes they need to be careful in their stud choice.

The problem is that the lug seat is not an exact half sphere so you can't just measure across it to find the diameter. You would need to cut out a 24mm (or whatever) circle to drop down into the seat to see if it makes full contact. However, I can guarantee you that the seats in the CLK wheels are small ball seat/R12.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
TurtsMcSlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Westaru wrote:

I found mine through this car parts site..https://www.car-part.com/

Martian-mart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

HI, I recently picked up a set of CLK wheels for my van. I haven't mounted them yet as I nee to wait for spring and the snow to melt to get her back out on the road. I have a few questions I was hopping someone could help with.

With the spare - I am assuming the existing 14" steel wheel with tire won't as a spare and I need to upgrade.

If so, will the CLK 320 spare work as a spare? (

If I do have to upgrade, I've read a 16" won't fit in the camshell. I've seen the RMW upgrade. IS there anything else out there where I can use my existing clamshell and just add some sort of spacers?

I've looked at the wheel carries for the back and am concerned using the ones that mount to the inside of the hatch would eventually do damage there, am I wrong? I was leaning to the GW bumper with the wheel carrier if all else failed.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Mart
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Decided a couple a months ago that I was interested in acquiring a set of these to replace my GW 16’s given some comments as to the structural integrity of the GW’s. There was a crappy set of the CLK’s listed on CL for $1000, then last week I used my usual search parameters (Mercedes 16) and a set had been posted 4 hours previously for $425. I emailed the seller and didn’t hear back until the next day when he called and advised that I was first in line from the 30 - 40 emails he has received. I picked them up the next day, with no haggling on price. I would suggest that they are in 8.5 - 9/10 condition, so pretty stoked. They are 16X7 ET37. I am in no rush to install and with the borders still closed which limits my ability to pick up parts and tires, I will be connecting with Chris at T3 to set me up with mounting hardware hopefully later in the year.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Jump to:
Page 60 of 66

Jump to: