Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CLK wheels
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Don’t forget to keep a set of front bolts and rear nuts for your steel spare if you don’t have 5 clks. They have different ball seat diameters.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
Don’t forget to keep a set of front bolts and rear nuts for your steel spare if you don’t have 5 clks. They have different ball seat diameters.
-d

I know they probably won't but do clk wheels fit in the stock tire carrier with any size tire?
Italjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Finally I found some nice and cheap center caps for my Mercedes rims.
Links to the caps and VW stickers in the decription in the video.

Link

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:

I know they probably won't but do clk wheels fit in the stock tire carrier with any size tire?

Well, "any size" is pretty vague: simple answer is that if you have only a rim, sure put it in the spare clam.

You got some options, of course. The width of the tire you choose should approximate the original dimensions, which is 185 millimeters. More Vans came with that width from dealer lots, than the wider ones at 195 mm, as far as I've come to understand. Even the 195.75.14D BFG AllTerrain TA's (out of production) would fit in the clamshell, so that was a HUGE Go-To tire for enthusiasts for many years.

I thought I knew where the threads where that described the %'s difference that doing X or Y or Z to tire size/diameter would do to your spare clamshell predicament, but I can't put my fingers on it right now. In general, there are a few options for you, in terms of adapting the clamshell area to a wider tire with a simple mod to the hanger clip and hinges. Simple stuff. I will keep looking, and try to get this linked in here. Don't fret, you'll still have options, and of course you can go to the swingaway on the rear anyway for the spare.

For MANY reasons, I have been a big fan of sticking to the MFG's spec's, not only having to do with how the stock engine performs poorly with larger diameter tires.

Gray areas are more like 50 shades than black/gray/white.

You'll find something that works for you, don't get too antsy.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Thanks for the response.

By "any size" tire I mean are there any sizes that will fit in the clamshell mounted on a clk? Obviously larger sizes will not fit.

I didn't know if it was the size/shape or width of the wheel that preveneted it from fitting or just the outside diameter of the tire (I have never removed the clamshell). From your post it sounds like outer diameter is what matters.

I'd prefer not to mount a spare on the rear hatch. It looks cool, I just don't want to have to swing it away every time I open the hatch spend more than I have to.

Last edited by Pinetops on Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

My tires are 205-65 R16, it fits in my spare holder with just a 3/4” spacer on the front bolt.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Excellent, that is the size I was thinking of using.
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Just a quick reminder here folks, you MUST remove the two drum retaining bolts prior to mounting CLK’s and many other non stock wheels on your vehicle.

DO NOT expect your tire shop to notice that the rear wheels are not flush or spinning true because the bolts interfere. I’m describing the bolts that are in the location circled below.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jim Hunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Italjohn wrote:
Finally I found some nice and cheap center caps for my Mercedes rims.
Links to the caps and VW stickers in the decription in the video.

Link

These caps looks great Italjohn !!!

Thanks for sharing your findings , but we need to see them mounted on the car as well!!!

Jim
katzenjammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Here's a set of rims in northern California for $600 (or maybe it's $1000, kind of hard to tell). If it's $600, that's about how much people are asking for them in the classifieds. The downside is that, as the seller told me when I asked, "the car goes with them."

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/1999-mercedes-benz-clk/6495018790.html
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

I'm having a hard time finding a fifth CLK rim for my spare. Originally I planned to run a steel wheel for my spare but I realize now I need to do a 5 tire rotation so I'd like the fifth to match. Anyone have any tips for finding a single CLK rim?
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

benandmj wrote:
I'm having a hard time finding a fifth CLK rim for my spare. Originally I planned to run a steel wheel for my spare but I realize now I need to do a 5 tire rotation so I'd like the fifth to match. Anyone have any tips for finding a single CLK rim?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122892647443
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

several on fleabay, maybe you don't like the price
search for 2084010002
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=2084010002&_sacat=0

and or

65179 in ebay motors

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trk...sacat=6000
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Search for an entire parts CLK that has damage to other wheels, buy undamaged one(s)?
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
benandmj wrote:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122892647443

I should have mentioned I was aware of a few on eBay. This one is the nicest and cheapest but considering I paid $200 for 4 I can’t stomach that price tag plus the powder coat to match the other 4...
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Yup, $200 for 4 was a great price. Now folks are lucky to find 4 for $800
Oilline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

So I've come across a set of what i am hoping are forged CLK rims, however they are ET33 which to me is better than the ET37.
The part number is 211 401 1102. They are thin section where the lug holes are. 7 x 16.
Can anybody confirm if they are forged and therefore strong enough for my application?
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Oilline wrote:
So I've come across a set of what i am hoping are forged CLK rims, however they are ET33 which to me is better than the ET37.
The part number is 211 401 1102. They are thin section where the lug holes are. 7 x 16.
Can anybody confirm if they are forged and therefore strong enough for my application?

Yes, those wheels are forged and also made by Fuchs. They are about 7mm thick and they use large ball seat lugs, not large ball seat. You can use the stock front (Syncro) and rear studs, but for a 2wd, you would need slightly longer lug bolts since the stock ones are too short.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
katzenjammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Oilline wrote:

I think your question is answered (“yes”) on page 19 of this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=298574&start=360
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: CLK wheels Reply with quote

Oilline wrote:

I have those wheels on my syncro (one of the sets I use), and in my opinion they are even better suited than the et37 (CLK) variant. More clearance for tires, and no need for special lug nuts. They were standard on some E-class Mercedes and that is a slightly heavier car than the CLK. Never seen any official weight ratings for them though...

Stock Syncro 16 inch rims were 5,5x16 et34 so reasonably close to that et as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Jump to:
Page 49 of 66

Jump to: