Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Luxury Tools
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
For my salty friends

Link

https://smile.amazon.com/Pressure-Undercarriage-Cleaner-Extension-Connect/dp/B08RBV9DB6

I'm waiting for the Roomba version, now that would be luxury.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

With the Bostig conversion, a notorious piece is the high capacity oil pan leak. Is there a hilomar sealant that would be appropriate?

I have tried red rtv and permatex aviation sealant, which is recommended by lots of bostig people. Both leaked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

I don't know anything about the Bostig leak, but Great Stuff sealant is exactly as the name implies. Unfortunately, I always seem to use one squeeze out of a tube before it expires. It's somewhat spendy, but so are unnecessary oil changes.
I guess this could be a luxury tool?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

Hylomar isn't so much a gasket forming item, like Great Stuff is, but it is a gasket, 0ring, threaded, whatever .... non hardening seal enhancer.

It withstands gasoline, which most sealers do not.

If you are assembling something and don't want it to leak? Smear it with Hylomar. It won't leak.

As I mentioned, it does not harden so removal later on is relatively easy.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F232C3X/ref=a...indus08-20
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

This probably isn't a luxury tool, more like a necessity. I had a similar light years ago and have been searching for a replacement. I take lighting seriously and my garage is really well lit, but the van comes along and says I don't care about your overhead lighting. The past few weeks lighting the engine bay has been a PITA with 3 Milwaukee lights balanced in various places. I said enough and bought this and regretted not buying it sooner. I have been eyeing it for at least a year. It is worth it. And it works plugged in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTXC016/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here it is clipped to the tailgate.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It has 2 brightness settings, a 3 hour run time and a 6 hour run time. I noticed that plugged in it is slightly brighter still

Bright afternoon sun streaming directly in and the garage door open, light off.

And with the light on. Since the light extends horizontally so much, I don't notice any real problem with shadows when leaning over the engine bay.

And more shot, late at night.

I have been futzing with timing and while I'm sure 100% accuracy isn't needed on these old engines, chasing down gremlins is never fun and I need to trust what I am doing. Having Digifant on a 1.9 with a 1.9 crank wheel also added a layer of complexity. I said to hell with my basic timing light and bought the advanced version. What a difference! And it even shows the RPM.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EVU8J8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Paint the OE TDC mark. Set timing to 33 (I figure I'd rather be a few degrees down than advanced while chasing this hiccup) and rotate distributor. Easy.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

That looks like a nice light. I'm also a lighting enthusiast and often say "If it's not well lit, it's not well." Cracks me up every time I say it.

Unfortunately, with Moore's Law now applying to batteries and lamps it's hard to keep up.

Here's the latest utility light I bought for $19.99

- flashlight
- white LED panel, three brightness levels
- red LED, solid and flashing
- solar panel to keep the battery topped up (it doesn't charge it from dead though)
- just a bit bigger than my phone and it will charge my phone
- It's bright enough to light up a garage enough to see what I'm doing or to bring some light to the underside of the van.

$19.99
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08R3HY7X8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's an earlier version that uses 18650 Li-ion batteries. The new version is clearly brighter than this one. This one is still available for $16.99 but I'd recommend the new version for the improved magnets and red lights. The flashlight on the left is a cheapo from Amazon. I have a go-to Fenix that I keep nearby and then I have these cheap flashlights scattered around so they're handy for anyone who needs one.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

Having a light with it's own solar charging is pretty handy.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

well... an eBay nab for a decent price. Quick Center bolt center drillers, metric and SAE. we'll see if they go on useless extractor shelf. if nothing else, maybe they'll make banjo bolts.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

Pretty! I like mine a lot. Like I’ve posted before, works as advertised, promotes patient precision pleasingly.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

Good stuff, Dan!

I needed those once & didn't have them, so soon after I picked up a set. Two actually...metric coarse & fine thread.
Since then I've only needed them once (so far) but I can tell ya that life is much better having them...

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

After years of using assorted cheapo mini-screwdrivers I got these Wihas. The tips seem more precise and the handles are really nice in how they fit my hands and the spinny end makes it easy to position the screwdriver and turn it at the same time.

https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-26199-Slotted-Phillips-Screwdriver/dp/B000NZ5QG0

https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-26199-Slotted-Phillips...amp;sr=8-1

Abscate wrote:

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
well... an eBay nab for a decent price. Quick Center bolt center drillers, metric and SAE. we'll see if they go on useless extractor shelf. if nothing else, maybe they'll make banjo bolts.

used the M6 one yesterday on an espresso machine that had a bolt i couldn't get out. had maybe an 1/8"+ of the threads sticking out and this was enough to thread the adapter onto. drilled a perfectly centered hole, easy to enlarge after that. impressed.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

I recently picked up a 10L ultrasonic parts washer and it's been a game changer for cleaning smaller fiddly bits like fasteners, and well anything that fits. Highly recommended, but it's noisy AF, so locate it in an out of the way part of the shop.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

what did you search for, to get these, my google abilities are not up to much, as i can't find these anywhere. Sad

DanHoug wrote:

619 201 0310
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

Try looking for a Lawson EZ Center, but they too appear to be NLA new. I think we're at the mercy of the used market.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

Makita finally made an 18v ratchet.
Very happy.
Its variable speed and has an LED light.

Now I can take EJ25 spark plugs out with ease.
Hopefully not often - but I might at least look forward to the task.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

^^^Is red more luxurious than blue? These things can be confusing.

Abscate wrote:

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

No, but you can't ruin your color coordination!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

^^^ Laughing Laughing Laughing

Abscate wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Jump to:
Page 35 of 40

Jump to: